Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Craig wrote: View Post
    is this a real post?
    Irony is the tool of the hipster, and hipsters are people that would most be likely to speak out to correct others when they feel they are wrong, often only pissing them off, rather than making any real difference or bringing anything remotely useful to a situation...which is why people hate them passionately.

Again, Einstein, don't be that guy, people don't come to a basketball forum to have their literacy or grammar corrected.

I find it ironic that you should behave so considerately (get it, I used the word) (oh hold on, did you get why? because you aren't considerate at all, you're actually being an inconsiderate twat)

hahahaha
    You realize that the concept of irony has existed far longer than the term 'hipster'.. I don't care for your social hazings, I can be whatever 'guy' I want to be and I don't need you questioning your false perceptions of my life style.

You clearly have nothing to add, but rather you simply wish to perpetuate ignorance (no that is still not a good example of irony) as well as childish name calling (Hipster, Einstein, inconsiderate twat?)
    So, all I have to say is that I did not simply come to this basketball forum I have been on this basketball forum for the past 2.5 years, and you can kindly kiss my keister.
    The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

back to the original argument on irony

http://www.isitironic.com/ironiq.htm?IroniQ=2978

it's close... but enlightenment is winning so far..

(yes, I solve all problems using google)

Comment

enlightenment wrote: View Post
        You realize that the concept of irony has existed far longer than the term 'hipster'.. I don't care for your social hazings, I can be whatever 'guy' I want to be and I don't need you questioning your false perceptions of my life style.

You clearly have nothing to add, but rather you simply wish to perpetuate ignorance (no that is still not a good example of irony) as well as childish name calling (Hipster, Einstein, inconsiderate twat?)
        So, all I have to say is that I did not simply come to this basketball forum I have been on this basketball forum for the past 2.5 years, and you can kindly kiss my keister.
        hhahahah.

Okie.

but just remember, nobody like that guy.

Play nice.

Comment

'As they were backing up the Carrera to put into the garage, it started stalling. I heard someone say, and I think it was Roger, "Why is the car stalling? Let’s take it around the block", the unidentified witness told Hollywood Reporter.
          'Paul said, "Let me go with you really quickly".
          'The whole premise of taking the car out for a drive was because something was wrong.'

Comment

heinz57 wrote: View Post

Actually, my example of irony is dead on. Like Dead tits on.

Assuming the role of teacher, corrector, is assuming that you are one of two things; 1) you are a considerate person who only wishes to help or ahem...ENLIGHTEN people who clearly aren't as astute as you are on whatever topic you are correcting them on, a benevolent life guide if you may. Or you are admitting you are a complete dick, and B) you are only correcting people to point out there mistakes and make yourself feel superior, and therefore taking some sort of power position in a discussion or relationship, which is complete douchebaggery. As I believe that our good friend "Enlightment" is sure aware of all this, so, by playing the role of good guy, and helping us all out with our ignorance, he is in fact only playing the role of good guy,whne in fact he is being the exact opposite, as he is being a dick about it, and I assume for humour as nobody would be a bad guy online, so it is in fact, a very clever and astute use of irony, when you define irony as;

the expression of one's meaning by using language that normally signifies the opposite, typically for humorous or emphatic effect.
            I applaud his incredible complexity to be honest.
            Unless of course he really is just being a dick...in that case..... well....

( lets not get all smarty pants on here ok, enlightenment, you are an ok dude, were really just hoping you can take er down a notch is all, calling people out on mundane things like this, while is fair enough, isn't appropriate the present forum, your execution is flawless, its just your timing. And for my part, heh, I only play dumb in movies.)

Comment

heinz57 wrote: View Post

obviously I voted 0/10 ironic. Those 41% of voters who think its ironic is the reason I care enough to correct people these days..

What a necessary website though! good find!!
              The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

I think yo may have just fixed the Grecian economy with that insight.

:P

Comment

As for Paul Walkers Situation, based upon that sites own interpretation of the word Irony;

Incongruity between what might be expected and what actually occurs
                  Completely Ironic.

One might expect, having come to know a public figure only for his involvement in a franchise where he is in fact a superhero of epic proportions, a driving wizard who would never ever fail, to in fact go his whole life, on screen or otherwise with nary a scratch to his vehicle. Not to die, in a car, doing the very thing that people have identified him as an expert at doing.

This way of thinking is flawed, but it is not refutable in its existence, people think this way. So, you can squawk all day long about how fucked up peoples perceptions of actual reality are, but don't call um out for calling his demise Ironic as in there minds, it is in fact ironic that such an awesome driver might in fact die because of shitty driving.

Comment

I don't want to get into this argument, because it's dumb...... but my mother was an English teacher... so i'm genetically designed to mediate this.

IRONY is when the polar opposite of an expected occurrence happens

Paul Walker dying in a car crash is not ironic. Driving fast cars made him famous, therefore death by car crash was along the trajectory of incidents that may possibly happen. It was coincidental that he died in a manner that was congruent with his roles in film.

IRONY would be if he didn't actually have a driver's license and died on a bus.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                      No ... just .. No.
                      What? He was a decent actor. Not terrible.

And getting into an argument over Irony...like it's not english class and it's on a thread about a dead guy...like c'mon!
                      If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

I rarely see the word irony used in its actual context. I'd rather use words based on how society knows them, than use them based on how the dictionary tells us to use them

Comment

LBF wrote: View Post
                          What? He was a decent actor. Not terrible.

And getting into an argument over Irony...like it's not english class and it's on a thread about a dead guy...like c'mon!
                          Republicans have ability to create discussion out of everything.

Comment

Working...
                          X