Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Potential trade destinations for Lowry: Dec.12 - NY a match?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lowry is most likely gone at the deadline or earlier. MU is not as dumb as BC he's not gonna let him walk for nothing at the season's end
    "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

• What does he want in his career at this point? In no order:

1) Be a starter
      2) Play for a team that's poised for a playoff run
      3) Get a great paycheque

Can any team offer him all three? Teams that are poised to go deep in the playoffs would either want him as a backup, or want him to take a pay cut to fit him into their payroll. Teams that can offer him a big paycheque and a starting job are probably worse than Toronto in terms of the standings.

Toronto can offer him a starting position, a modest raise, and on a team that's potentially going to be top 6 in the east for the next while, as long as he continues to produce. That's a solid case for him to stay, should he make it past the trade deadline here. It'll depend on how he prioritizes those values. Does familiarity play into his decision? How about loyalty, something we heard was an important concept to Kyle when he came to Toronto? Almost certainly lower factors than what the three things listed above, but things that may have an impact (in the case of loyalty, that impact could be positive or negative, depending on how seriously he takes attempts to trade him).

I'm all for trading him if there's an offer that returns a solid first-round pick (and, ideally, a prospect as well). But if we go to the offseason, I think Ujiri can retain him and then worry about trading him later.

Comment

• octothorp wrote: View Post
        What does he want in his career at this point? In no order:

1) Be a starter
        2) Play for a team that's poised for a playoff run
        3) Get a great paycheque

Can any team offer him all three?
        Detroit. Lots of room under the cap with Stuckey/Villaneuva's deals ending, and expect them to move Monroe at some point for asset accumulation. Move Jennings to SG and your starting line becomes Lowry/Jennings/KCP/Smith/Drummond. If they bid for Rudy Gay (and they likely will make a move there too; he's probably going to call in his option to get a fresh payday while his value is still good) then the Pistons suddenly look very deep with KCP, Billups, Datome and Siva as capable backups.

Possibly also the Knicks if Stat retires (quite possible considering he still gets that final twenty million) or if they decide to try a sign-and-trade.

And there's always Orlando, who will be stuffed to the brim with good young players who need a veteran PG to kickstart them into playoff contention and who have lots of money and cap space to throw around, and who have a history of writing needlessly large cheques...

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
          I think Lowry would stay just to be a starting PG in the league. Especially if these guys make the playoffs and make noise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          I'd rather be a bench PG for Golden State than a starting PG here.
          Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

• Thoughts from Eric Koreen:

That brings us to Lowry’s current value, which is where it gets complicated. You can argue whether or not context dictated that the Raptors should have given up a first-rounder for Lowry or whether the Knicks should have caved and given the Raptors a future first-rounder to obtain Lowry two weeks ago. When strictly considering Lowry’s talent, he is worth that price. As he heads toward unrestricted free agency, another type of price has to be assessed, as well. Point guards Brandon Jennings and Jeff Teague signed deals worth US$8-million annually as restricted free agents this past off-season. While Lowry’s age — he will be 28 in March — and his history of struggling to co-operate with coaches are mitigating factors, he is probably worth at least that on the open market.

If the Raptors intend to be good, he is worth that price. If they do not, Masai Ujiri should let him walk. If a team decides to offer up a juicy draft pick for him now, Ujiri probably will jump on the offer. But a Lowry trade would not be like the Gay or Andrea Bargnani trades. Lowry is a productive player, and he fits here.
            http://ww2.nationalpost.com/m/wp/blo...s-market-value
            Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

• isaacthompson wrote: View Post
              I'd rather be a bench PG for Golden State than a starting PG here.
              No disrespect to you, but that is not the mentality of a competitor. Maybe a guy whose just in it for the money or at the end of his career, but you can see how badly K-Lo wants to compete every time he's on the floor. I think a starting role is something he would have a hard time passing up.

Comment

• I'd be equally happy if he resigns here or were flipped for Barnes.
                “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

• The reason why I can't see golden state trading Barnes for Lowry is because they have no way of retaining Kyle beyond this season unless they want to go deep into luxury tax and pay their backup pg 8m, which is almost as much as curry makes.

People need to slow down on that fantasy a bit.

Comment

• Raps trying to win the Atlantic.

http://sports.yahoo.com/video/why-pa...200637436.html
                    Mamba Mentality

Comment

• Mediumcore wrote: View Post
                      No disrespect to you, but that is not the mentality of a competitor. Maybe a guy whose just in it for the money or at the end of his career, but you can see how badly K-Lo wants to compete every time he's on the floor. I think a starting role is something he would have a hard time passing up.
                      Who says he can't be a competitor on a better team? Competing by definition means to do whatever it takes to win. I think whatever contribution he makes on a better team will be more appreciated then what he does here, especially if said team is making a deep playoff run.
                      Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

• TRex wrote: View Post
                        Raptors is trying to win a division... Odd right? - Spears..

LOL

Comment

• Westbrook is out until the All-Star break...gotta think OKC has some interest in Lowry now
                          For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• Westbrook having surgery and is out until after the ASG. Lowry to OKC?

Comment

• thead wrote: View Post
                              Westbrook is out until the All-Star break...gotta think OKC has some interest in Lowry now
                              LOL... great minds think a like

Comment

• OKC has their own first rounder and the Dallas (top 20 protected) 1st rounder. I`d be willing to take on Perkins for a year if it meant grabbing both of those picks.
                                For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

Working...
                                X