Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Potential trade destinations for Lowry: Dec.12 - NY a match?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
    I assume that teams have the option of waiving the physical as a required clause. Can anyone confirm/deny this?
    Yep, can waive the physical at any time.
    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
      Yep, can waive the physical at any time.
      http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1949164

Comment

• I still cringe when I think about this trade

Comment

• I don't.

Comment

• Chisholm just wrote a really interesting piece that makes a lot of sense and does a great job of putting the "tank" in perspective.

This part really made me think, and is a really good point i hadn't really grasped:

You can see a similar train of thought at work in the trade scenarios circling Kyle Lowry. There have been several teams linked to Lowry, and several trade scenarios that would quickly make the Raptors demonstrably worse than they are today (hello Ray Felton and Metta World Peace). That isn’t Ujiri’s style, though. If he is going to make the team worse today, he’s only going to do it if he can reap a coveted asset or two in return for that sacrifice (hence demanding Tim Hardaway Jr. and/or a 2018 first round pick from New York). If he can secure a young asset and a draft pick, he’ll probably swallow the fact that his team might have to take a productivity hit in the near-term.

There is an important distinction buried in there, though. He isn’t chasing a trade that will make his team worse and then seeing if there is something of value he can maybe sock away for the future, he is chasing a trade for something of value and if that makes his team worse then he’s willing to swallow that pill (he is smart enough to understand the benefits of losing in the NBA). There must be balance there. The piece he gets has to justify his team getting a little worse, which is why a Lowry trade hasn’t happened yet.
            @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
              Chisholm just wrote a really interesting piece that makes a lot of sense and does a great job of putting the "tank" in perspective.

This part really made me think, and is a really good point i hadn't really grasped:
              Nice find ceez.

I think Chisholm did a good job highlighting the subtle (yet extremely important) difference between a pro-tanker's "tank" and an anti-tanker's "tank", which has been the crux of the months-long disagreement here on RR.

Most pro-tankers are actually pro-rebuilders, who understand the cliché of needing to take a step backwards to take two steps forward, as well as the residual benefit of taking that initial step backwards this season (ie: improving the positioning of the Raptors' own 2014 1st round pick).

Prior to this season I didn't think this team was very good and, due to being capped-out for several seasons, would need to overhaul the roster in order to progress to the point of being a legitimately good team (ie: perennial contender). Since I viewed this eventual rebuilding/retooling as an inevitability, I figured why not start the process during the offseason and throughout the 2013-14 season, to time it in such a way to also take advantage of the loaded 2014 draft. To me and many pro-tankers, improving the Raptors positioning for the 2014 draft has always been a residual benefit of starting the rebuild before/during this season, not the strategy unto itself.

There was agreement between pro & anti tankers regarding Bargnani (both sides needed a change) & Gay (albatross contract). There's also a reason why pro-tankers look at players like Lowry, Hansborough and Novak and talk about "cashing in an asset", as opposed to "dump everybody half decent for garbage" (which is the brush many anti-tankers have painted pro-tankers with). Hopefully Chisholm's explanation will resonate with posters and help bridge the gap between those on both sides of the inaccurately named 'tank debate'.
              Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Tue Dec 17, 2013, 04:20 PM.

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
                Chisholm just wrote a really interesting piece that makes a lot of sense and does a great job of putting the "tank" in perspective.

Making the team worse, without getting valuable pieces in return would be selling our assets for 10 cents on the dollar.....exactly what nobody is proposing.

What Chisholm says make sense. We need to move Lowry (and maybe others), but only if/when we get what we want in return.

But there is definitely no chase of a playoff spot here.

Comment

• ny is such a mess I love it. I hope we trade rape them, because they are desperate after we agree to something with brooklyn and we end up getting tim jr, iman shumpert, AND 2018 pick. I hate the knicks so much.

Comment

• Does anyone know of any rumors heating up with Lowery. Seems they have died off with NYK, there is talk of Brooklyn, cant see him going to our division. What about the west I know there was rumors to GS. Has anyone herd anything

Comment

• I hear you akashsingh, NYK in shambles awesome, we knew it wouldn't last long. Everyone got paid after a good year now screw playing cause I got my money. Melo will be gone soon I bet. With the talk of him and Paul always wanting to play together, and getting the possibility of Blake back, it might entice the owner to jump ship before he leaves anyway. They will be screwed and take the first option to salvage anything they can, BC style.

Comment

• delman21 wrote: View Post
                        Does anyone know of any rumors heating up with Lowery. Seems they have died off with NYK, there is talk of Brooklyn, cant see him going to our division. What about the west I know there was rumors to GS. Has anyone herd anything

haven't heard anything. That makes me respect Woj all that much more. I've been keeping an eye on his twitter feed since then and he doesn't tweet anything unless something is up (it seems)

Comment

• delman21 wrote: View Post
                          I hear you akashsingh, NYK in shambles awesome, we knew it wouldn't last long. Everyone got paid after a good year now screw playing cause I got my money. Melo will be gone soon I bet. With the talk of him and Paul always wanting to play together, and getting the possibility of Blake back, it might entice the owner to jump ship before he leaves anyway. They will be screwed and take the first option to salvage anything they can, BC style.
                          The knicks have the worst managed team in the nba its crazy lool overpaying for j.r smith? and them trading away all your future picks so if melo runs away they are screwed
                          "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

• For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• thead wrote: View Post

Pretty much lool we keep hearing all this shit and nothing has come except that random rudy trade
                              "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

• 4hunnit_degreez wrote: View Post
                                The knicks have the worst managed team in the nba its crazy lool overpaying for j.r smith? and them trading away all your future picks so if melo runs away they are screwed
                                Even if Anthony leaves, after next season, the Knicks are in pretty good shape financially. Chandler, Stoudamire and Bargnani's contracts come off. They'll be in okay shape. They should be keeping their picks, but that's the Knicks' MO. They never keep their picks.

Comment

Working...
                                X