Is Ujiri really that great?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Ujiri really that great?

After putting some thought into it, the more I think about it, the less confident I become in Ujiri.

A few things come to mind. People think he will actually improve this team, I looked at his time in Denver, did he improve anything there? He traded Melo for a good package, but Denver was still a 1st rd exit team, and remained that way for his entire tenure there. That does not look like improving the team.

I worry about another thing too because he seems to overvalue his own players a bit too much. When it comes time to re-sign guys, he does seem to over-value them a bit too much, as I pointed out in another thread with McGee, Nene, and Afflalo (yes, to some it may have seemed good, but there were also some who didn't like it).

Just stop, please.
    Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

Not many GMs other than Spurs and OKC Thunder can find good players in mid-late first round, Ujiri found two in Lawson and Faried. To be honest he doesn't have that many cards to play in his hand right now, seriously who would want Rudy Gay? or Lowry?

Comment

Eric Montross 00 wrote: View Post
        Not many GMs other than Spurs and OKC Thunder can find good players in mid-late first round, Ujiri found two in Lawson and Faried. To be honest he doesn't have that many cards to play in his hand right now, seriously who would want Rudy Gay? or Lowry?
        The buyout pile would.

Comment

Eric Montross 00 wrote: View Post
          Masai was with the Raptors when Denver traded for Lawson.

Masai drafted Faried, Fournier, Quincy Miller and Izzet Turkyalamz

Comment

Craiger wrote: View Post
            Masai was with the Raptors when Denver traded for Lawson.

Masai drafted Faried, Fournier, Quincy Miller and Izzet Turkyalamz
            Masai also set Denver up with New York's unprotected 2014 pick (currently sitting at #2 - pre-pingpong) and the right to swap in 2016. If Denver moves Faried (like has been rumoured), Julius Randle as their new PF going forward thanks to the NYK implosion.

The Quincy Miller pick was also acquired by Masai.
            Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

There is no reason to think he is great, but there is also little reason to think he is incapable of improving this team. Give him some time to make some moves and see what direction he is taking before passing judgement.

Comment

peanutwoozle wrote: View Post
                I worry about another thing too because he seems to overvalue his own players a bit too much. When it comes time to re-sign guys, he does seem to over-value them a bit too much, as I pointed out in another thread with McGee, Nene, and Afflalo (yes, to some it may have seemed good, but there were also some who didn't like it).
                Can it be considered "overvaluing" when he successfully trades them (meaning that other teams agreed to their value)?

Comment

Time will tell re MU. We all are becoming increasingly frustrated with what is happening. What is the answer? I think posters here just a need a sign that MU recognizes where we are at and what needs to be done to move things forward one way or another.

Comment

psrs1 wrote: View Post
                    Time will tell re MU. We all are becoming increasingly frustrated with what is happening. What is the answer? I think posters here just a need a sign that MU recognizes where we are at and what needs to be done to move things forward one way or another.
                    Yep.

Although it feels like forever, we have to remind ourselves that it's been just a month since the season started.

As fans, all we can (realistically) hope for is Ujiri using the next 5 months to pave the way for 2014-15 and beyond.

Comment

peanutwoozle wrote: View Post
                      After putting some thought into it, the more I think about it, the less confident I become in Ujiri.

A few things come to mind. People think he will actually improve this team, I looked at his time in Denver, did he improve anything there? He traded Melo for a good package, but Denver was still a 1st rd exit team, and remained that way for his entire tenure there. That does not look like improving the team.

To begin, this might be the quickest over reaction in Raptor fan history - and that is saying something.

Did he improve anything in Denver? Hell yes. How often does a team lose their 'best' player and get better? He played the Melo trade with no leverage and turned it in to a bidding war between NY and BKN. First round losses in 6 and 7 game series with winning percentage over .600 is something a Raptor fan should turn their nose up at? Seriously? WTF? People around here are getting erections for 36 wins and a possible playoff berth. Wow. 57 wins and a 7 game series? Sign me up.

Look at his moves in Denver: http://hoopshype.com/general_managers/masai_ujiri.htm
                      You tell me the losers.

The highlights you mentioned:

Nene was either to be signed or lost for nothing. He was on verge of going to Houston. That my friend is asset management. He retained him and flipped him.

Afflalo was and is a good contract. He was injured last year - period. He is healthy and showing what he can do.

McGee is a bad contract. No question there. He took a risk for a ridiculous athlete with a contract that was/is the going rate for athletic bigs. Karl wouldn't play him last year and this year he is injured. Bad circumstances only make it look worse.

What did Denver blog think of Masai:

Even though the Nuggets had experienced success and consistency in the win/loss column prior to Ujiri's re-arrival (he had previously been a scout with the franchise years earlier), Ujiri managed to change the culture from a collection of highly talented characters (think: Carmelo Anthony, J.R. Smith, Kenyon Martin, etc.) into a collection of high character players (think: Danilo Gallinari, Wilson Chandler, Andre Iguodala, Kenneth Faried, Evan Fournier, Kosta Koufos, etc.) while maintaining and then far exceeding the 50-win level set by Nuggets ownership, previous general managers and head coach George Karl. Perhaps more importantly, Ujiri was able to build a team that fit the city of Denver's culture: not the flash of Los Angeles or the arrogance of New York, but a lot of teamwork and togetherness for the common good - i.e. the "teamness" so often preached by Karl.
                      Ujiri may have represented the Nuggets best chance at getting to their first ever NBA Finals. But he left a quality roster in place that with some intelligent, forward-thinking maneuvers and continued support from ownership and the coaching staff, the Nuggets might just get there one day.

http://www.denverstiffs.com/2013/5/3...jiri-departure

What about Toronto? It is ridiculously early to tell but we do know:

Obviously Bargnani. Getting 3 draft picks, cap relief, and a useful player (anywhere other than Toronto) with one of the most toxic assets in the league is not luck. It might be stupidity on NY's part but it is certainly not luck on Masai's.

No one was signed without a team option for next season under Masai. That shows discipline and value searching - two uncommon traits in Toronto of late.

Masai did what he said he would do: give this team every opportunity to prove itself. Guess what? They pooped the bed. That is on Colangelo not Masai.

What else has he done? He fired the previous front office, cleaned house, however you want to put it. He has hired an all-star front office with assistant GM in Weltman and cap guru from NBA head office. Yeah, you stink Masai!

So 17 games in to his tenure as Raptor GM, you are questioning him. Really?
                      2 weeks before any free agent from this summer can be traded, you are calling him out. Really?
                      Without initially giving this 'playoff' team a chance and alienating a good portion of fan base, you are calling him out. Really?

From reading your posts the only complaint I'm really reading and what has caused this drastic overreaction is he has not fired Casey. You seem to think this team is actually good and a new coach would make a difference. I disagree. Why? Hero ball. This is a bad roster. So even if you scrap out a couple of extra wins, this is still a bad team going nowhere.

Give Masai a chance to put his imprint on the roster before calling for his head.... well at least that is my opinion.

Comment

Wow, the hits just keep coming from you, don't they?

Comment

Welp Matt pretty much handled that close it down nothing to see here folks
                          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

matt52 wrote: View Post
                            first round losses in 6 and 7 game series with winning percentage over .600 is something a raptor fan should turn their nose up at? Seriously? Wtf? People around here are getting erections for 36 wins and a possible playoff berth. Wow.
                            lmao!

Comment

Compare what happened in Denver to what happened with all the other teams that lost a perennial all-star in recent years (Cleveland, Toronto, Phoenix, New Orleans) and Ujiri looks pretty smart. All the other teams entered a tailspin while the Nuggets won 57 games last year. He drafted well there, traded well, and with the exception of the McGee signing, didn't make any errors in free agency.

Even after losing Iggy last summer, the team that Masai put together is a factor in the West while staying incredibly flexible. They have more draft picks than they should, and a roster full of young assets on reasonable deals.

Comment

Working...
                              X