The Trail Blazers model

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Trail Blazers model

Alright guys, I don't want to write a ton, but I just want to say don't give up hopes I see we are doing exactly like what Trail Blazers have done in the past two years and let me explain it.

Blazers were shit for years, even they did made the playoffs at 7th or 8th seed (don't know the exact ranking and in what year) and got swept in those rounds, and they had all those huge contract underachieve or aging players like we have right now, players like Camby, Andre Miller, Felton, Gerald Wallace etc. But one positive thing they had and until this date was keeping Lamarcus Aldridge. By keeping him, even they were sucked in those years until they got higher in the draft and drafted Damian Lillard from that day the franchise were turned 180 degree fortune from a funky, hopeless (felt sorry for LaMarcus) to a bright young team. and if you watch their games now with their 15-3 records you notice in all the games they played their offence were ran through two focal points Lillard and Aldridge, with a solid supporting casts and better bench than last year they are now the number one seed of the conference, Lopez was a better fit than Hickson so it's an upgrade. So all I'm saying is, it's not that difficult to build a team if you have a one pivot/player to build around in their case it was Aldridge and then they found another pivot in Lillard and the rest are just finding the right pieces to supporting these two players. It's finding the one or two pivot players that's difficult, I am not just saying Aldridge and lillard are good basketball players, but they are also great character and great chemistry guys that they make people around them better.

The reason why I bring it up is, I found very similar in today's Raptor, I was also seriously doubt about the Raptors at the start of the season, none of the players are keepers except JV(young, size and potentials only). But Derozan has been extremely impressed me so far and I found a similarity between him and Aldridge, I don't want to compare him with Aldridge right now but I'm just saying Derozan has got the skills that you don't see in this league, his game, most importantly his demeanor, and on/off court attitude has persuaded me that Derozan is one bright spot that the team can build up on, I'm not saying he is good to build around but definitely with another good pivot player like Lillard. they will complement very well. And We also got JV who could be the third guy.

But most importantly, the reason why I post this thread is as I watch this year's draft I noticed a guy that's going to make a similar and even bigger impact like Lillard to this team, that is Marcus Smart. I do love Wiggins but if we can draft Marcus Smart, playing along side Derozan, and JV, the future is going to be hell a lot brighter. This is a point guards' league, we need to have a franchise point guard to run this team, and you don't get this talented high character typed point guard that often.

Portland is an interesting case. They weren't a terrible team as they had good players at multiple positions, but they simply had no PG. You can't win without a PG unless you have LeBron on your team.

Portland built a roster with good shooters (Batum and Matthews) and a post scoring presence commanding double teams (Aldridge). Those are things this team has not had and many have been calling for for years.

Can Ross and Demar and JV fill these roles? Perhaps.

A PG who can score, shoot, and run the offence would change everything, and I'm also very high on Smart.
    Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Blazers are winning with offense and shooting the lights out, especially from 3. Will be interesting to see how sustainable that is. The Robin Lopez acquisition was really underrated. But yeah, if they can keep up the winning, then this might be another example of a treadmill team that takes a substantial leap forward without having to resort to tanking. I don't think anybody saw this one coming.

Comment

golden wrote: View Post
        Blazers are winning with offense and shooting the lights out, especially from 3. Will be interesting to see how sustainable that is. The Robin Lopez acquisition was really underrated. But yeah, if they can keep up the winning, then this might be another example of a treadmill team that takes a substantial leap forward without having to resort to tanking. I don't think anybody saw this one coming.
        Wouldn't the Portland model be:

Tank, screw up 2 high draft picks by ignoring medical info (Roy & Oden), then benefit from the disappointment of being naturally bad?

All joking aside, the Aldridge and Lillard picks were fantastic (though Aldridge was technically a trade).

Comment

They have an All-NBA calibre player in Aldridge and an all-star level guy in Lillard. The Raptors arguably don't have either one of those right now and certainly not the first one. They also have complimentary pieces (Batum, Matthews, Lopez) that fit really well with their best players. That's also something that the Raptors do not have right now.

You can't fall into the trap of saying "Team X had the same record as us three years ago and look at them now!" This will sound like I'm over simplifying it but every team is different. Different players making different salaries, different amounts of cap space in different free agency classes, different trade assets, different coaching, different chemistry, etc. etc. You can't expect one team to follow along the same path as another just because their records looked similar at one point in time.

Comment

Blazers are the 08-12 Hawks.

Comment

The other improbable thing about the Blazers is that before this season, Terry Stotts has had a losing record every single season he's coached. The Lillard draft pick was great, especially considering it was the Nets pick from the Wallace trade, who Portland got from the Bobcats for next to nothing. But again, who thought that a 4-year college guy like Lillard was going to become an instant borderline franchise player? Still skeptical about them, but it would be great if they can make it because it continues to show that there are many ways to build a successful franchise other than trying to luck into that so-called elite messiah draft pick that, entirely by itself, turns your entire franchise around.

Comment

They have always been a lower seeded playoff team in the tough western conference. The only times when they blew it up was during the Aldridge-Roy era where they traded everyone from the JailBlazers. Chicago was just so stupid to give away Aldridge for Tyrus Thomas, and what Chicago has been lacking is an offensive post player since Eddy Curry lol. Tanking didn't really work them as Brandon Roy and Oden's careers ended early, but Aldridge was the main guy they got (which should have been the number 1 pick instead of primo pasta, but wasn't since we had rupaul) and now Lilard. Plus they have decent role players/sidekicks that fit their system (matthews, batum, etc). And they were our main competition for Hedo! LOL.

I don't think derozan is at the level Aldridge or Lilard are, I think he's more like batum, so I suggest tanking for wiggins/parker/randle/smart and getting another high 1st rounder for this deep up coming draft and build around it. Jonas should honestly be the guy that they should be developing, but not w/ 3 ball hogs on the starting 5.

Comment

Speaking of Lillard. 2 years ago was where the Raptors should've tanked. It was the perfect situation. They had a bad team + short season.

Dwane Casey though was too busy building a "winning culture" that he didn't allow it to happen. Raptors won too many games. A couple more losses and they would've had a legit chance of drafting Lillard. Heck, the final game of the season against the Nets. If they threw that game away, Harrison Barnes would've been playing for the Raptors right now.
                  Mamba Mentality

Comment

TRex wrote: View Post
                    Speaking of Lillard. 2 years ago was where the Raptors should've tanked. It was the perfect situation. They had a bad team + short season.

Dwane Casey though was too busy building a "winning culture" that he didn't allow it to happen. Raptors won too many games. A couple more losses and they would've had a legit chance of drafting Lillard. Heck, the final game of the season against the Nets. If they threw that game away, Harrison Barnes would've been playing for the Raptors right now.
                    Yup, Lillard or Barnes (assuming Beal would be gone) were my top picks in that draft class for the Raptors. The Raptors did have some character/culture building wins down the stretch though... *crickets*

Comment

TRex wrote: View Post

If ifs and buts were candy and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                        Wouldn't the Portland model be:

Tank, screw up 2 high draft picks by ignoring medical info (Roy & Oden), then benefit from the disappointment of being naturally bad?

All joking aside, the Aldridge and Lillard picks were fantastic (though Aldridge was technically a trade).
                        And a smart free agent acquisition in Matthews (offer sheet Utah couldn't match).

And a stellar draft night trade - 28 (Greene) and 33 (Dorsey) for 25 to get Batum in 2008. *BTW Raptor fans, the hate on BC for not using 17 to land Hibbert should be about Batum. Raps supposedly had promised Batum*

Trading a veteran (Wallace) that ended up being a #6 pick (Lillard).

Value free agent signings: Wright, Williams,.

Using cap space to take on players others teams are looking to move to make deasl (i.e. facilitating): Lopez, Thomas.

Still don't know what comes of McCollum.

The Portland model was essentially build through the draft (some picks worked: Lillard, some did not: Leonard), cut the dead weight contracts/players with no future with team, obtain financial flexibility, sign value contracts.

That sounds similar to a few posts I've read around here.

Comment

Yup, Lillard or Barnes (assuming Beal would be gone) were my top picks in that draft class for the Raptors. The Raptors did have some character/culture building wins down the stretch though... *crickets*
                          That is what blows my mind about the people posting, "But how are we going to sign a free agent without winning!"

No the correct post is, "How are we going to sign free agents without an appealing roster."

Build through the draft, collect assets for a couple of seasons and go from there.

You can't build a new house on a developed lot until you tear the old house down.

Comment

And with Casey, both of those guys would have been playing behind Alan Anderson (or some other scrub) in year 1, and showing the same level of development as Terrence Ross is now.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                              That is what blows my mind about the people posting, "But how are we going to sign a free agent without winning!"

No the correct post is, "How are we going to sign free agents without an appealing roster."

Build through the draft, collect assets for a couple of seasons and go from there.

You can't build a new house on a developed lot until you tear the old house down.
                              Actually, Lillard is really the result of trading for and flipping Gerald Wallace & mortgaging the future a bit (Blazers 2014 1st round pick), but hard to argue that a late round 2014 pick is going to be any better than Lillard already is.

Gerald Wallace acquired by Portland:
                              February 24, 2011: Traded by the Charlotte Bobcats to the Portland Trail Blazers for Dante Cunningham, Sean Marks, Joel Przybilla, cash, a 2011 1st round draft pick (Tobias Harris was later selected) and a 2014 1st round draft pick.

Gerald Wallace traded by Portland to Brooklyn:
                              March 15, 2012: Traded by the Portland Trail Blazers to the New Jersey Nets for Mehmet Okur, Shawne Williams and a 2012 1st round draft pick (Damian Lillard was later selected).

Comment

Working...
                              X