Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To all those who say Rudy is the problem, I say nay nay.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To all those who say Rudy is the problem, I say nay nay.

I have noticed a lot of vitriol recently spouted at the lightening rod that has become Rudy Gay. Why is that? Is he not a useful NBA player? Does he not possess skills that we, as fans of this team, crave? Rudy is a great player who I would want on my team (though ideally on a contract more in line with the role he SHOULD play on a team).

To me the real problem is coaching. All those who say that Rudy needs to give up the ball more and play with his team mates more, chuck less, etc... All of these end with Rudy's decision on the court, but it starts with coaches and their philosophy or vision of basketball. Rudy's tendencies on the court can be corrected. It may not be easy, but playing time and play calling are ways to get a players attention.

When Casey says that he "trusts Rudy to make the right decision", he is yielding his control of the team to a player who has not shown that he can make the right decision. Rudy is not Lebron. You can't just put him on the floor and expect perfection (or close to it). He needs to be coached. Its kinda like this recent (decades-long) trend of "free-range" parenting. Parents prefer to be friends with their kids, instead of parents to their kids, and then wonder where behavoiral problems and lack of discipline come from. Kids, students, players need to be led and taught. Casey needs to coach this team, and get them to play according to his philosophy. That might mean that Rudy becomes a role player instead of the main guy (which I would prefer). Whatever it is, Casey needs to take control of this team, and stop just putting players out there and expect chaos to spontaneously find order and intention.

I'm not saying that Casey isn't that guy. He hasn't been that guy recently though that's for sure. He needs to take control of this team and lead them. Teach them. And that means holding the players accountable. If he can't, then MU needs to recognize the deficiencies and make a change.

So please, don't boo Rudy. Don't boo any of our players for that matter. They are not the problem. They are the product of their environment.
    Welp, that sucked.

I agree that Rudy gets more hate than he should. He's a solid defender who makes a lot of those effort plays that help win games.

On the other hand, Rudy is a problem. So is Casey. IF Rudy had a different mindset and was on a contract worth closer to 9-10 mil, than he's a great asset to have.

I don't believe that Rudy lacks skills, but to be honest, it isn't just the coaching or the personnel around him. Rudy's been a chucker since his days in Memphis.

He's got to be realistic with himself and decide now whether he ever wants to become more in this league or not.
    "Bruno?
    Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
    He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

When Rudy was asked about coming off the bench for this team last week, his response: “Me? Would I ever come off the bench?” he said, when I asked him about it. “No. I think this team needs me in the starting lineup. Maybe on a different team, maybe in the long run… But here? No.”

That says everything I need to know about Rudy Gay. He believes in himself beyond comprehension and views himself as the best player on this team.

Casey will be gone next year, no doubt about it, but Rudy Gay is a huge part of the problem for this team. Both on the court and in the front office.
      Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

When the trade was made last year, I believed that Rudy's negative qualities could be reigned in with proper coaching to help him become a more efficient player. He does possess a lot of skills, and despite his flaws, he's still the best SF we've had since Rose.

But I don't believe Rudy can change anymore. I'm sure Casey emphasizes the importance of shot selection, and momentum killing missed long-twos. Rudy isn't a toddler who needs to be disciplined with his favourite toy taken away. He's a grown man who sees his team losing more games than they win. That should be motivation enough....but it isn't. I doubt that will ever change.

Comment

In the right situation, you can always get the best out of people. However, as it stands, we have no veteran leaders to set our guys straight. Rudy and Demar have free reign on offense & our coach has nothing to say about it. Maybe if we had an Andre Miller -- a secondary coach on the roster, we'd see a more mature focus from our 'stars'. Seriously, who can say anything to these two? Buycks? Stone? Novak? Gray? No one can touch Demar & Rudy -- and to me that's the ultimate test to determine what they are made of & it seems to me that the leadership skills are lacking.

Sent from my C6506 using Tapatalk
          “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

-- Charles Barkley

Comment

I pretty much agree with the OP. Look at it this way: Rudy earns/costs a lot more money than Casey, AND he is stuck here with an un-tradeable contract. We can't change this, only try to get the most out of him. What we can change is the coaching Rudy must play under. I cannot believe every coach would give Rudy the same free reign to chuck up prayers and play almost strictly iso-ball as Casey does. Surely he will do what a coach tells him, and surely Casey is telling him to watch his shot selection and pass more, but it seems to have no effect and he isn't having his minutes reduced.

There are only two interpretations: Either Casey cannot effectively coach (Rudy) or else Casey is trying to tank. I think the second interpretation is highly unlikely. Even if a tank was underway, the effort to lose would have been cast aside once a 27-point lead was established. To intentionally lose from such a great lead would cause suspicion one must think. Highly illogical, Captain.

So, I say make the best of Rudy and fire Casey. Make one of the assistants coach for the rest of the year as a tryout. (Nick Nurse please!) If MU really wants to tank, make that guy's job impossible by trading Lowry without replacing him. Besides, Casey is stinking in multiple ways, not just his inability to get a modicum of value out of Rudy Gay.

Comment

Rudy is a black hole who does a lot of other things.

He is a player with holes in his game.

He is a player who makes probably 50% more than he should.

But he is still a useful player.

Comment

Isn't Casey on a one-year contract? I think there is a possibility that Casey is coaching based on some level of input from his superiors. It's not like an NCAA coach that can mostly dictate minute allocation, style of play etc. as he sees fit. I assume that Casey (and most coaches) at the NBA level, take some amount of input from front office. So in that sense, I wouldn't expect Casey to say in the media that Rudy needs to be better, or for him to start a rift with Rudy behind closed doors. Maybe Casey is calling way more of the shots than I give him credit for. In that case, he should be gone. No one should rationally support what Rudy brings to the team.

Also, its not coaches that make the call to tank, right?

I don't necessarily think Casey is some elite coaching mind. But unless his replacement is a shooting coach, what significant change would take place? My best explanation as to why Casey has such a long leash with Rudy would be that there is a hope from front office that RG starts improving ("reaching his potential") and that some poor GM takes a chance on him. Short of that, I think you just have to deal with his level of play until he is no longer under contract.

Comment

Casey is in the final year of his deal.
                  Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Rudy Gay would be valuable if he took about 7 less shots per game, performally of the long 2 variety.
                    9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

'Melo was most effective when placed in the perfect situation of having strong personalities (leadership) that complemented his weaknesses and pushed him to be a better all around player: Mike Woodson (defensive coach), Jason Kidd, and Tyson Chandler (great defensive vets with the credibility of just coming off a Dallas championship) were able to coax more out of Anthony than anybody else.

Obviously, 'Melo didn't really "learn" anything - he's reverted to all of his old bad habits and the Knicks are inefficient, defensively terrible, and losing.

Rudy Gay is a similar but much, much less talented player. He'd need to be surrounded by a strong coach with credibility and good veteran leadership that he respects. Due to his overall talent level, he'd also need to be the 2nd or 3rd option on his team. That's the only context I could see him having a really positive impact. Otherwise, he'll continue to take almost as much off the table as he puts on it.
                      "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

S.R. wrote: View Post
                        'Melo was most effective when placed in the perfect situation of having strong personalities (leadership) that complemented his weaknesses and pushed him to be a better all around player: Mike Woodson (defensive coach), Jason Kidd, and Tyson Chandler (great defensive vets with the credibility of just coming off a Dallas championship) were able to coax more out of Anthony than anybody else.

Obviously, 'Melo didn't really "learn" anything - he's reverted to all of his old bad habits and the Knicks are inefficient, defensively terrible, and losing.

Rudy Gay is a similar but much, much less talented player. He'd need to be surrounded by a strong coach with credibility and good veteran leadership that he respects. Due to his overall talent level, he'd also need to be the 2nd or 3rd option on his team. That's the only context I could see him having a really positive impact. Otherwise, he'll continue to take almost as much off the table as he puts on it.
                        Bingo!! well said.

Comment

Although I certainly wouldn't bet on it happening as a GM or a fan, Rudy could one day turn his career around. He's very talented and I mostly respect the way he plays other than when he has the ball.

It's a mental block that he can overcome if he wants to. It's almost sad to see him waste his career like this.
                          "Bruno?
                          Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
                          He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

stooley wrote: View Post
                            Although I certainly wouldn't bet on it happening as a GM or a fan, Rudy could one day turn his career around. He's very talented and I mostly respect the way he plays other than when he has the ball.
                            Yeah I mostly respect Lil Wayne, other than when he's rapping talking or performing.
                            9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

Hollins had the leash on him. And this is exactly how MU needs to sell Rudy to another team....make it more about his lack of fit on the Raptors rather than his stats.

Comment

Working...
                              X