TANK vs ANTI TANK - SUPER THREAD - The Because I Can't Keep Track Edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    The bold is exactly why I didn't include him. Also, injury concerns. I actually like Fields, just not at the contract BC shelled out for him. He'll probably have much more trade value next season when his contract is expiring, especially if he proves to be more advanced in his shooting mechanics recovery.
    Something I just remembered as well, if we want to acquire 1st round picks, we may have to wait until draft night as a lot of teams have already traded protected picks from this draft, and I remember hearing somewhere that you can't trade the pick until their drafted then their draft rights are traded. So you can add Amir and Fields to that list now.

Comment

• peanutwoozle wrote: View Post
      It is harder to tell in the Lottery if someone is going to work out or not, here's an example, lets say you are at your draft position, there are a bunch of talented guys there, and one guy who is about 10x as talented as the rest, you draft him, and he ends up not being good in the NBA at all, while all of the other guys projected around that spot go on and have great careers. That is something nobody can see coming, it is a harder choice to make. Later on in the draft, it might be a little easier to spot talent while there is not a lot of talent left on the board, it might be easier to spot one there

I trust Masai with later picks, but I don't know if I can trust him in an Oden/Durant or T-Rob/rest of lottery situation.
      I don't even know what to say to this....You've lost all sense of perspective.

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
        What about getting the #30 pick, while giving up one of our 2nd round picks (either OKC's or the better of TOR/SAC's pick)? If the latter, it would likely mean just moving up 5 spots for Toronto. For Miami, it means avoiding the guaranteed salary, while only moving back a few spots.
        Miami wouldn't be able to trade their 2014 first round pick mid season. Their 2015 is owed to Cleveland (with protections). They have a potential incoming 2014 pick from Philly but that's lottery protected as well. So without knowing if Philly makes the playoffs or not they could be out of two picks on back to back drafts and that's against the rules (assuming they traded their pick to Toronto).

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
          I don't even know what to say to this....You've lost all sense of perspective.
          What he means is that when you're picking in the lottery, where there is a greater quantity of talented players, it's easier to pick an untalented player by accident, as opposed to later in the draft, where there are far fewer talented players, so it's easier to pick a talented player.

It's clear we've all been quite wrong. The Raps should start trading current and future first round picks for 2nd and 3rd rounders immediately. This way they'll never draft the next Greg Oden by accident. I like it.
          "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
            What he means is that when you're picking in the lottery, where there is a greater quantity of talented players, it's easier to pick an untalented player by accident, as opposed to later in the draft, where there are far fewer talented players, so it's easier to pick a talented player.

It's clear we've all been quite wrong. The Raps should start trading current and future first round picks for 2nd and 3rd rounders immediately. This way they'll never draft the next Greg Oden by accident. I like it.
            If I spent years getting picked last in gym class, that's definitely how I'd spin it

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
              If we make the playoffs this year, Gay will be a huge reason why. Remove him from the roster, and we no longer have a playoff team. We're not improving the team by replacing Gay with another middling pseudo star this summer.

And what happens if Gay picks up his player option?
              I disagree, remove Gay and this team is better as is.

Comment

• JawsGT wrote: View Post
                There's potential for them to become more efficient. But watch the DeMar double-teams eat him alive, while nobody is willing to consistently take (and make) the big shots in a tight game.

Comment

• JawsGT wrote: View Post
                  Even though I really dislike Gay and never wanted him here....I don't think his removal makes the team better. We are not a deep team, and we are not a very talented team. Remove one of the most talented pieces, with no real consistent option to replace him...I can see us playing "better" basketball as a unit, but we'd likely have a harder time nabbing some wins.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                    If I spent years getting picked last in gym class, that's definitely how I'd spin it
                    And you'd be standing there, all by yourself, looking exactly like Burns in your avatar.

"Aha, I see the genius in this process. How crafty of these team captains, to leave me last. Scouting savants, both of them!"
                    "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

Tanking year after year is not going to build a good rapport with players (as seen now).

the quote would be more like this "the raptors look like a serious contender, sure they have a great young core of talent, but I have heard from a few of my peers that the organization does not treat its players very well, screw you guys, I'm signing with this other contender here"
                      We have been trying to WIN year after year, and still suck..which is worse than other players knowing that you're tanking

Comment

• OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
                        We have been trying to WIN year after year, and still suck..which is worse than other players knowing that you're tanking
                        well there are other teams that once they start tanking, they can't seem to stop.

Comment

well there are other teams that once they start tanking, they can't seem to stop.
                          Teams that "can't stop tanking" is due to poor management, not the process they are using. They screw up who they draft and how they develop them (see Cleveland, reaching for Bennett at PF when they have multiple PFs already, then playing him at SF when he is coming off an injury and out of shape...)

I believe Ujiri is good management, so I believe the process will work for the Raptors

Comment

• Another thread derailed.

A+

Comment

I find your signature a tad confusing.

Tanking is for Losers and Fair Weathers.
                              Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't "fair weather fans" ones who have no patience, only come out when the team is winning, and generally aren't very passionate about the team (or sport) in question?

That description seems to be the exact opposite of the pro-tankers on this forum. If you're in favour of tanking, you know it will get worse before it gets better. That takes a lot of patience. Don't you think?

Comment

• OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
                                Teams that "can't stop tanking" is due to poor management, not the process they are using. They screw up who they draft and how they develop them (see Cleveland, reaching for Bennett at PF when they have multiple PFs already, then playing him at SF when he is coming off an injury and out of shape...)

I believe Ujiri is good management, so I believe the process will work for the Raptors
                                some of it is bad luck too.

Comment

Working...
                                X