Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gay, Acy & Gray to SAC for Vasquez, Patterson, Hayes & Salmons (Augustin waived)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wonder if Colangelo would be willing to do a post-apocalypse interview. Would be funny hearing him trying to justify that each move he made was still a good one.

What's really funny is that Rob freakin' Babcock has a front office job, while Colangelo does not.

Comment

• RandomGuy wrote: View Post
      Well not really, they think it can be the long term answer (Cousins n' Gay)
      http://www.kingsfans.com/threads/rud....54571/page-15
      Interest point raised in that thread is that Gay's expiring (assuming he opts in) coincides with Marcus Thornton's expiring. Kings could have a lot of cap space in 2 years. Makes more sense for them to wait till then anyway
      Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Everyone seems to love the trade and I can't blame them. One thing I like about this is that it doesn't ruin the capspace flexibility for 2015, which I continue to believe is going to be a big chance for the Raps. The biggest reason I was opposed to the O'Neal/Marion deal BC made was that I thought O'Neal's $20M coming off the books was more valuable in the long term even with the short term pain.

This Gay trade, though, seems to be the best of both worlds.

P.S. Can't read through the whole thread but I note John Salmons is coming to Toronto. God must have changed his mind on that one....

Comment

• Sweet Dee

So Rudy Gay for Vasquez and some expiring contracts. Really?? Masai Ujiri you are my new hero. I’m sure everyone will cite Rudy’s horrible FG% but he also turns the ball over a ton, doesn’t make his teammates better, and is absolutely atrocious out of the double team (there is a reason Grizz offloaded him = terrible in playoff match-ups). The Raps tank for this year and can let everyone but Chuck Hayes come off the books next year if they so choose. Who do you think won the Sacramento/Toronto deal and why?

Steve Kyler

You are under estimating what you got back… Vasquez is a quality backup guard that can start if they decide to move Kyle Lowry. John Salmons always seems to excel right after a trade. Patrick Patterson is a huge upgrade over Quincy Acy and could be a nice additional in the long term and Chuck Hayes is so underrated. All of them have trade value around the trade deadline.

So you say ending contracts. I say a handful of players that could really contribute this season and have value in trade if things don’t turn.

As for winning a deal. Good deals give both sides what they wanted. Sacramento wanted out of the logjams they had and to offload guys that were not in the long-term plan. They wanted a named player and they go one.

Toronto wanted out of Rudy Gay and wanted to cash his monster deal into smaller more manageable pieces.

Both sides got what they wanted.

Read more at http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-rumors...ve-kyler-12913
            dub

Is it safe to say Masai Ujiri is blowing it all up now? I think he’s made two great deals in the bargs and gay trades. I feel for what his vision is Masai has just pulled another “carmelo anthony-type” of deal. He made out like a bandit, and got the kings to take a virtually untradable contract.

Steve Kyler

Not sure why everyone thinks that. The pieces that came back from Sacramento are really solid additions to a team that really lacked a lot of depth.

Moving off Rudy Gay, who has a PER of 15.9 and a salary of $17 million, was solid GM work.

This is what Masai did in Denver. Cashed out a massive contract that wasn’t part of the future and got four pieces that could be. I think this roster has a far better shot at the playoffs than it did with Rudy Gay and there is flexibility to make additional moves if things don’t turn the corner.

JimInCyberSpace

Rudy Gay to Sacramento… Sure looks looks like Toronto came on the high side?

Steve Kyler

As I said… both teams got exactly what they wanted.

Toronto broke up the Rudy contract. They got some players that could help them now and possibly in the future. They got a $2.8 million Traded Player Exception. Good deal.

The Sacramento Kings cleared out the logjam at a lot of spots. Got a named player and made a bold move.

just another opinion to throw out there

Comment

• Grantland

"Here’s the thing: This deal, by itself, may well make the 2013-14 Raptors better. And that’s why we should expect the Raptors to begin (or continue) gauging the market for both DeMar DeRozan and Kyle Lowry as we approach December 15, after which most free agents who signed over the summer are trade-eligible again. Dwane Casey, the team’s head coach, may also be in trouble, depending on Ujiri’s timetable with the position, per several league sources."

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...and-sacramento

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
                Grantland

"Here’s the thing: This deal, by itself, may well make the 2013-14 Raptors better. And that’s why we should expect the Raptors to begin (or continue) gauging the market for both DeMar DeRozan and Kyle Lowry as we approach December 15, after which most free agents who signed over the summer are trade-eligible again. Dwane Casey, the team’s head coach, may also be in trouble, depending on Ujiri’s timetable with the position, per several league sources."

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...and-sacramento
                Another good quote

"DeRozan has shot better this season without Gay on the floor, per NBA.com. The Raptors’ starting lineup, torrid to finish last season, has scored just 98.9 points per 100 possessions this season — about equivalent to Orlando’s offense, ranked 24th in the league. The Raps turned into world-beaters when Casey separated the two wing gunners: 104.2 points per 100 possessions when DeRozan played without Gay, and 112.7 when Gay went solo. (This did not happen last season)."

Comment

• Anything Grantland is a great read.

Comment

• FoxMachine wrote: View Post
                    I wish I could be confident that that would be the case but... I can totally see Casey using Salmons as another excuse to bench our young prospects in favor of an "experienced vet". Fucking Casey.
                    Exactly while I don't disagree with those guys entirely. I don't think MU is banking on building a team from free agency cap space is nice but don't count on free agent players flocking here

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                      Wonder if Colangelo would be willing to do a post-apocalypse interview. Would be funny hearing him trying to justify that each move he made was still a good one.

What's really funny is that Rob freakin' Babcock has a front office job, while Colangelo does not.
                      It's just a matter of time before BC gets another front office job. He's not one of the best Execs but he talks a big game and has shown an ability to pull off big trades. I wouldn't be surprised to see him replace some maligned GM this offseason (Cleveland? Detroit?).

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
                        Another good quote

"DeRozan has shot better this season without Gay on the floor, per NBA.com. The Raptors’ starting lineup, torrid to finish last season, has scored just 98.9 points per 100 possessions this season — about equivalent to Orlando’s offense, ranked 24th in the league. The Raps turned into world-beaters when Casey separated the two wing gunners: 104.2 points per 100 possessions when DeRozan played without Gay, and 112.7 when Gay went solo. (This did not happen last season)."
                        Wow.

I would have guessed the opposite.

Gay also plays better D and rebounds.

Hmmmmmmm.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                          Wow.

Hmmmmmmm.
                          I was surprised too but remember that it is likely a fairly small sample size since both guys average about 36 mpg.

Gay's D hasn't been all that great (no Team D Rtg change when he goes to the bench) and is over-rated. He's capable but not willing.

Rebounding hasn't been a huge issue for us (except for a few games) and adding Hayes should help the 2nd unit grab more boards.

Comment

Wow.

Hmmmmmmm.
                            He rebounds, but I would amend the D statement to be he "can" play better D. Unfortunately his effort is so inconsistent and lacking there that many nights he is not at all a better defender. He doesn't hustle, and his fundamentals get really bad when he's lazy (he just stands up straight and doesn't even move sometimes).

I'm so happy to see Gay gone.

Comment

• The biggest thing I noticed was how effective Amir was in the pick n roll. I always thought most of the offense should run through that pick n roll with Amir evolved

Comment

Or traded to another team looking to cut salary in exchange for another contract and sweetener.

Guaranteed you don't see Masai take any player with a contract extending beyond 2014-15 unless it is a rookie deal.... just guessing here.

2015-16 is what is being geared up for.
                                Cleveland still needs a wing.. Salmons for Bennett?

Comment

Working...
                                X