2014 Free Agent Wish List

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    Yeah he might be top option for me in free agency. Depends on price/length of deal. Definitely don't want longer than 2 years tops.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
    Yeah obviously on a short term contract. He could very well accept a lower paycheck to regain some relevancy. I want him in a 6th man kind of role behind Ross and DD. He is a big body and can shoot the 3 and is a WAY better option to have off the bench than Fields is.

Please, drop the HE'S A VET thought. Casey stuck with Ross despite being horrible in the BKN series and gave JV constant minutes throughout, except in game 7 where he was just laughably bad.
    Myself (March 2014):
    The raptors are a tremendous young team and will win a championship in the following five years.

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
      Nobody over 25 unless they are a superstar.

First it was AA.

Then it was John Salmons.

Who will Casey use the "But he's a vet" line on next?
      Hopefully ross now that he's 3 years into the league. Wishful thinking ya know even though Casey will probably throw buycks before ross because of his overseas experience
      I'm back. I no longer worship joe johnson

Comment

Nobody over 25 unless they are a superstar.

First it was AA.

Then it was John Salmons.

Who will Casey use the "But he's a vet" line on next?
        Agree with this sort of, but I assume you mean on an expensive deal?

Or would you even be opposed to signing say VC for 2yr/6M or something?

Comment

• imanshumpert wrote: View Post
          Agree with this sort of, but I assume you mean on an expensive deal?

Or would you even be opposed to signing say VC for 2yr/6M or something?
          Nope.

Don't want anyone over 25 - unless we're talking legit star.

This team isn't winning a championship in the next 2 years.

Why bring in someone who won't be around in two years?

AA wasn't expensive and Casey had no minutes playing him large minutes while a rookie getting paid 3x as much sat on the bench.

I don't trust Casey when it comes to vets. Age is more enticing to him than talent.

Comment

Nope.

Don't want anyone over 25 - unless we're talking legit star.

This team isn't winning a championship in the next 2 years.

Why bring in someone who won't be around in two years?

AA wasn't expensive and Casey had no minutes playing him large minutes while a rookie getting paid 3x as much sat on the bench.

I don't trust Casey when it comes to vets. Age is more enticing to him than talent.
            Fair enough. In that case I'd rather just draft guys to fill holes and play them. See who gets good.

Comment

• Boy, we have so little to talk about, can't wait until draft night.
              Myself (March 2014):
              The raptors are a tremendous young team and will win a championship in the following five years.

Comment

Fair enough. In that case I'd rather just draft guys to fill holes and play them. See who gets good.
                I'm taking Casey at his word on continuity. Granted if Lowry ends up leaving by his choice, then I would say all bets are off. But assuming Lowry is back, there are some younger guys who are free agents - and UFA at that. Nothing earth shattering but guys who contribute in areas of current need.

Aminu (24) big back up SF.
                Aldrich (25) back up C.
                Xavier Henry (23) as a backup wing.
                Jordan Hamilton (23) backup wing.
                Kevin Seraphin (24) back up C (restricted).
                Kent Bazemore (24) back up wing.
                Ryan Kelly (23) stretch 4.
                Shelvin Mack (23) back up guard (restricted).
                E'Twuan Moore (24) back up guard.
                Toure' Murry (24) back up guard.

Nothing that is going to put the Raptors over the top but guys you might be able to get on the cheap with team options.

Definitely agree with the draft. Have to build through it. You're guaranteed 8-9 years if a player works out. For next year, Raps have 7 guys under contract (assuming AMir option picked up), 4 team options, 3 restricted free agents, and 1 UFA. Add the first round draft pick & #37, while dropping 4 team options, and there is a high probability Raps are only going to be looking to add 0-2 spots.

Comment

I'm taking Casey at his word on continuity. Granted if Lowry ends up leaving by his choice, then I would say all bets are off. But assuming Lowry is back, there are some younger guys who are free agents - and UFA at that. Nothing earth shattering but guys who contribute in areas of current need.

Aminu (24) big back up SF.
                  Aldrich (25) back up C.
                  Xavier Henry (23) as a backup wing.
                  Jordan Hamilton (23) backup wing.
                  Kevin Seraphin (24) back up C (restricted).
                  Kent Bazemore (24) back up wing.
                  Ryan Kelly (23) stretch 4.
                  Shelvin Mack (23) back up guard (restricted).
                  E'Twuan Moore (24) back up guard.
                  Toure' Murry (24) back up guard.

Nothing that is going to put the Raptors over the top but guys you might be able to get on the cheap with team options.

Definitely agree with the draft. Have to build through it. You're guaranteed 8-9 years if a player works out. For next year, Raps have 7 guys under contract (assuming AMir option picked up), 4 team options, 3 restricted free agents, and 1 UFA. Add the first round draft pick & #37, while dropping 4 team options, and there is a high probability Raps are only going to be looking to add 0-2 spots.
                  Assuming no trades, agreeing with your logic and excluding the draft (not knowing positions drafted and knowing the players are likely to be projects at #20 & #37), Aminu & VC would seem like obvious targets (I don't personally want VC, but my magic 8-ball tells me that all signs point to yes). I actually worry that a guy like Aminu might be so in demand as an undervalued young player, that he winds up commanding close to full MLE, at which point I'd pass.

Comment

• I don't want Aminu. While he is a good player, he can't really shoot which is sort of a problem.

Comment

I don't want Aminu. While he is a good player, he can't really shoot which is sort of a problem.
                      As a young, cheap wing defender, who still has upside, he'd be a great option to replace Fields/Salmons. Not every move is about acquiring a superstar, since role players are equally important to constructing a good, balanced team; especially if can be a low risk / high [potential] reward type move.

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                        As a young, cheap wing defender, who still has upside, he'd be a great option to replace Fields/Salmons. Not every move is about acquiring a superstar, since role players are equally important to constructing a good, balanced team; especially if can be a low risk / high [potential] reward type move.
                        I didn't say that. Please don't put words in my mouth, thanks

I'd just rather have a SF who's 3+D. That's why I suggested guys like CJ Miles and Wesley Johnson. I feel they fit better with our personnel.

Comment

I didn't say that. Please don't put words in my mouth, thanks

I'd just rather have a SF who's 3+D. That's why I suggested guys like CJ Miles and Wesley Johnson. I feel they fit better with our personnel.
                          What's your problem? You've personalized most posts I've made toady.

I wasn't implying you did say that. I was just explaining my own rationale for supporting such a move.

Comment

• THey are younger good defensive wings in the draft who also can't shoot. Would rather have one of them than Aminu as a 24 yo.
                            Myself (March 2014):

Comment

• I think we should throw an offer out to Gordon Hayward. He would be a nice fit at the 3 for our team. He is a very good team player that passes the ball well, is a good 3 point shooter when he is not having to run the offense all the time, is young at 24, and seems like a very good locker room type. May not be as strong as a defender as I would want, but he is still getting stronger and has the length to at least bother whoever he is guarding.
                              Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

• WJF wrote: View Post
                                I think we should throw an offer out to Gordon Hayward. He would be a nice fit at the 3 for our team. He is a very good team player that passes the ball well, is a good 3 point shooter when he is not having to run the offense all the time, is young at 24, and seems like a very good locker room type. May not be as strong as a defender as I would want, but he is still getting stronger and has the length to at least bother whoever he is guarding.
                                I suspect Utah would match any offer.

In general, the Raptors can't target restricted free agents this year if they want to re-sign Lowry. If you re-sign Lowry and then want to make an offer to someone like Hayward, you would have to let Patterson, Vasquez go, cut and stretch Hayes and Fields. And then you can't undo those moves when Utah matches your offer.

If Lowry leaves, then why not. There would be enough cap space to make someone an offer and see what happens.

Comment

Working...
                                X