Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will Gay opt out of his contract next season?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will Gay opt out of his contract next season?

Since Gay is off this team now, don't think this should be in the Everything Raptors thread. Do you guys think that Gay will opt out of his contract next year? Obviously there are many point of views for both sides. On one hand, Gay is gonna make $19 million next season, which is probably the most money he'll ever make in one season in his career unless Sacramento is stupid. So there's an argument that Gay isn't gonna give up his $19 million paycheck. On the other hand, Sacramento is not exactly a prime destination for players. A lot of players really want out of Sacramento since it's a very poorly managed franchise, so maybe Gay is desperate enough to want to get out of Sactown and opt out even if it means losing a substantial amount of money. Personally, I have a feeling Gay might just opt out of his contract to get out of Sacramento, but I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't. Thoughts?

If I had to bet money on this, I'd say no. Is he even worth 4/40 on the open market? I doubt it. So why not make 19 mil in one year and then look again.

Well, I guess it's not impossible. Just like Tyreke last year, Gay won't be allowed to chuck as much in Sacramento. Maybe it saves him from himself and he has a good enough 2nd half to attract some teams.

Comment

I know GMs who say they wouldn’t touch him now in free agency for the midlevel exception.
      http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...and-sacramento

Comment

Movin' on, don't care at all.

Comment

BobLoblaw wrote: View Post
          If I had to bet money on this, I'd say no. Is he even worth 4/40 on the open market? I doubt it. So why not make 19 mil in one year and then look again.

Well, I guess it's not impossible. Just like Tyreke last year, Gay won't be allowed to chuck as much in Sacramento. Maybe it saves him from himself and he has a good enough 2nd half to attract some teams.
          http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--nu...180030078.html

Andrew Iguodala opt out of his $15.9 million contract after last season, so it's possible. Obviously that's because Iggy is still gonna command the same amount of money unlike Gay, but pushing it out there. It's possible...

Comment

stretch wrote: View Post
            Movin' on, don't care at all.
            Don't care? Don't comment. Not hard. You should try that logic...

Comment

Blacklash2k4 wrote: View Post
              http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--nu...180030078.html

Andrew Iguodala opt out of his $15.9 million contract after last season, so it's possible. Obviously that's because Iggy is still gonna command the same amount of money unlike Gay, but pushing it out there. It's possible...
              Well that's the essential part. You possibly misread my post. That's what I was talking about.

Comment

Well that's the essential part. You possibly misread my post. That's what I was talking about.
                You never know. Sacramento could still give him like a $10-12 million per year deal if they are that desperate especially since they can't make any players come in free agency.

Comment

Blacklash2k4 wrote: View Post
                  Don't care? Don't comment. Not hard. You should try that logic...
                  Hmmm... backlash, I get it now.

Comment

Btw...at this writing, Gay is still officially a Raptor...the league has not yet given its "blessings".

I see it difficult that today Gay is in an advantageous position to opt out. His stats are not impressive. This trade if it goes thru is probably a blessing for him...new team, better offensive coach might put him in a better position to score the ball but god he had trouble with layups and dunks so I dont know. He might as well hope something clicks and these are not still problems at end of season and then decide. Re Iggy...I think he gets 12mil per for 4 yrs. And he is a glue type player on a championship type team. Is Gay today? He has a difficult decision....play thru 2014 and take the risk or take a severe shave (probably around 8-9/) the way he is playing now.

Comment

No.

He's not going to leave $19 Million on the Table, especially with the way he's playing now, and how low his value has dropped.

It causes him no harm to take that $19 Million, and then explore FA the season after. His stock is at an all-time low, he might as well get his big-paycheque for a season, and then try and raise his stock in his Contract Year, and then sign his last longer/larger contract.

I think a team will pay him somewhere around 8 - 10 Million/Yr, maybe 4/5 Years, depending on how desperate they are, and how well his next season pans out.

Comment

phiLLy wrote: View Post
                        No.

He's not going to leave $19 Million on the Table, especially with the way he's playing now, and how low his value has dropped.

It causes him no harm to take that $19 Million, and then explore FA the season after. His stock is at an all-time low, he might as well get his big-paycheque for a season, and then try and raise his stock in his Contract Year, and then sign his last longer/larger contract.

I think a team will pay him somewhere around 8 - 10 Million/Yr, maybe 4/5 Years, depending on how desperate they are, and how well his next season pans out.
                        It will depend. If he can land a long term deal somewhere, 4 years, $40+, I would imagine he'll opt out. People look at the $19 million but you have to look at the money that is guaranteed. If he gets $19 million but blows a knee out he might never play again. If he takes $40 million over 4 years, yes, he takes a hit in year one but he also gets $21 million more guaranteed. Even if he never plays another game, he is financially better off.

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
                          It will depend. If he can land a long term deal somewhere, 4 years, $40+, I would imagine he'll opt out. People look at the $19 million but you have to look at the money that is guaranteed. If he gets $19 million but blows a knee out he might never play again. If he takes $40 million over 4 years, yes, he takes a hit in year one but he also gets $21 million more guaranteed. Even if he never plays another game, he is financially better off.
                          Just to add. Assuming that his career with the Kings turns out to be a bust, if he gets a long term deal (4 years, $40 mill deal) somewhere he actually wants to play and has a good chance of winning, it just adds to another reason why he might opt out.

Comment

That's the right thinking but I don't think 4/40 will cut it. It would be kind of like paying 5k car theft insurance when your car costs 10k and you live in a safe neighborhood. He's a young relatively healthy guy, so if it's getting 40 mil now vs. getting 19 mil and then likely getting the same 40 mil guaranteed in a year, I think he'd probably opt in.

Another thing is that yes, waiting is a risk, but opting out itself is a risk too. Gay won't have any assurances when he makes that decision. I think 4/40 is the high-end scenario for Gay at this point. I'm not sure any team would actually pay 4/40, and I'd be stunned if any team would offer him more than that.
                            But he and his agent can't take such huge risks hoping for high-end scenarios. They have to account for the risk of a Monta Ellis situation where you have to settle for less.
                            Last edited by BobLoblaw; Tue Dec 10, 2013, 04:48 PM.

Comment

That's the right thinking but I don't think 4/40 will cut it. It would be kind of like paying 5k car theft insurance when your car costs 10k and you live in a safe neighborhood. He's a young relatively healthy guy, so if it's getting 40 mil now vs. getting 19 mil and then likely getting the same 40 mil guaranteed in a year, I think he'd probably opt in.

Another thing is that yes, waiting is a risk, but opting out itself is a risk too. Gay won't have any assurances when he makes that decision. I think 4/40 is the high-end scenario for Gay at this point. I'm not sure any team would actually pay 4/40, and I'd be stunned if any team would offer him more than that.
                              But he and his agent can't take such huge risks hoping for high-end scenarios. They have to account for the risk of a Monta Ellis situation where you have to settle for less.
                              This is more what I'm thinking of to be honest.

For example, lets give it a worst-case scenario.

Opts in for $19 Million this upcoming season
                              Signs a "last" contract for 4 Years/30 Million (7.5 Million/Season)

Pockets in the next 5 Years, 50 Million.

If he Opts out of the $19 Million, he would need $10 Million/Season over the next 5-Years ot make the same amount. Can he get it? I'm sure he can, but I mean, I also dont thikn he'd sign for 7.5 Million either.

He "makes" more money, with a risk by opting it. He could lose more if he blows out a knee or something, that is something you can't get out of.

Read Above, heh.

Comment

Working...
                              X