Definition of Competitive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Axel wrote: View Post
    Like KHD alludes to, it's all about management making the right decisions.

OKC had 3 straight drafts they nailed.

Durant - 2nd
    Westbrook - 4th, Ibaka - 24th
    Harden - 3rd

Then made the playoffs ever since.

Chicago took D Rose first overall and made the playoffs 2 years later with 1st round picks of James Johnson and Taj Gibson.

GSW is another example, Steph Curry, Ekpe Udoh, Klay Thompson, Harrison Barnes then playoffs. Considering that they kinda blew the Udoh pick (6th overall instead of Greg Monroe, Gordon Hayward, Paul George, Eric Bledsoe, heck Ed Davis has been better).

It's all about smart management. For every perennial lottery team, there is a smart team that turns it around. Trust in Masai.
    Then there was Portland
    They made all of their picks right (even Oden was the right pick as he was regarded as a can't miss player, experts were saying that 29 other teams would have done the same thing)
    they never got out of the 1st round, and a few years later, they were back to where they were before.

Comment

KeonClark wrote: View Post
      3 drafts they nailed? Really? You know how easy those picks were? Oooh, how savvy of you to take Kevin Durant #2, who people are calling possibly the best player since Lebron.

Basically, you contradicted yourself completely. You talk about management this management that, then you list Chicago with their D Rose, GS with their Curry. That's not management bud, that's an MVP that doesn't come around all too often. The difference in Charlotte and Golden State is Steph Curry and Kemba Walker. Not their fault, simply luck of the draw.
      Yeah, they nailed it. You say Durant was an easy pick, but as many anti-tankers like to point out, drafts are risk as prospects could be a bust. They also nailed the other 2 drafts including a late pick (Ibaka), which the OP proves with Cleveland and Washington, isn't a sure thing. So since the OP lists two teams with multiple high lottery picks that didn't work out, my response provides examples of the opposite. The point is that nothing is guaranteed, but you need to trust in management to make the right decisions. Don't see how I contradicted that anywhere.

The Chicago and GSW are other examples of how, if management drafts well, it doesn't take years to get back into competitiveness. D Rose was a #1 pick that lead his team to the playoffs, you don't think that applies to this draft too? Wiggins, Parker, Randle, Exum, Smart, etc...you don't think any of them are capable? If Steph Curry was such an obvious MVP star then how come he was passed over 6 times?
      Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

peanutwoozle wrote: View Post
        Then there was Portland
        They made all of their picks right (even Oden was the right pick as he was regarded as a can't miss player, experts were saying that 29 other teams would have done the same thing)
        they never got out of the 1st round, and a few years later, they were back to where they were before.
        Portland got unlucky with injuries. Injuries can happen regardless if you pick 1st or 30th. No point avoiding getting better players for fear of random injury (not the same as avoiding a player with injury risk already established).

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Portland got unlucky with injuries. Injuries can happen regardless if you pick 1st or 30th. No point avoiding getting better players for fear of random injury (not the same as avoiding a player with injury risk already established).
          Plus the current cornerstones of the Blazers are....dare I say.....LOTTO PICKS!

Comment

S.R. wrote: View Post
            Could definitely tear down the roster and be competing for a playoff spot in 2 years because of the awfulness of the East.

Having a promising core and being on the upswing in 2 years is also maximum optimism, though. Realistically the team could easily blow a lottery pick. But that's where the multi-pronged approach comes in - the Rockets, for example, haven't had to nail OKC-type home runs in the lottery to eventually have a team with James Harden, Dwight Howard, and some nice role players. They accumulated assets in the ways that were available to them and made sure to sign only team-friendly contracts.

I think good management could have a playoff team in this conference in 2 seasons, with a lot of room for growth left within the roster.
            Yeah, they did it in Houston. Players like Houston.

Players don't like Toronto

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
              I believe you are correct Sir. What a coincidence!!

Comment

both of those Lotto Picks were, dare I say, not their own picks originally, so they didn't tank for them.

Comment

I believe you are correct Sir. What a coincidence!!
                  You can't hit a homerun if you never swing the bat

I just madeup a saying. Hoping it catches on and becomes cliche.

Comment

both of those Lotto Picks were, dare I say, not their own picks originally, so they didn't tank for them.
                    Portland picked in the lotto the year Aldridge was selected. So not sure why there should be a distinction.
                    "Bruno?
                    Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
                    He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

And this is relevant, how?

Does it matter if you buy your PS4 at the Sony Store vs. Walmart?

Comment

stooley wrote: View Post
                        Portland picked in the lotto the year Aldridge was selected. So not sure why there should be a distinction.
                        they traded for the Aldridge pick though (and I thought Chicago was crazy for making that trade), what do you think would have happened if they had kept their pick that year (Tyrus Thomas)?

Comment

they traded for the Aldridge pick though (and I thought Chicago was crazy for making that trade), what do you think would have happened if they had kept their pick that year (Tyrus Thomas)?
                          doesn't change the fact that they tanked to get that fourth pick. did they have to make some moves beyond tanking? duh.

they also got lillard by giving away a current asset in Gerald Wallace. Is this similar to tanking? They gave up wins that year to get a good player in the future.
                          "Bruno?
                          He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

And this is relevant, how?

Does it matter if you buy your PS4 at the Sony Store vs. Walmart?
                            Yes, the Sony Store is the kind of place you shop while wearing a nice suit or at least a collar shirt. Walmart, pajamas and a too small tank is standard.

Comment

ASSET ACCUMULATION.

Doesn't matter how, just do it.

Comment

Further, almost every team that is successful in the NBA this year was built around pieces they drafted themselves:

Miami Heat:
                                - Drafted 5th in 2003 to get Dwayne Wade. He helped them win a championship in 2006 and definitely helped them land Lebron and Bosh.

Indiana Pacers:
                                - Did not get any especially high draft picks, drafted in the lottery for four straight years from 2007 to 2010. Had to trade for more picks.

Portland:
                                - Drafted Lillard in 2012 by trading current assets for future ones. Moved up two spots in the draft to get Aldridge (good management) in 06 and selected Oden in 07 (bad luck).

San Antonio:
                                - Drafted Duncan, Parker, Ginobili.

OKC:
                                - Classic tank model, got lucky quickly.

Clippers:
                                - Drafted Blake Griffin first overall in 09, who, along with the LA market, convinced Chris Paul to join him.

Houston:
                                - Asset accumulation, got lucky

GSW:
                                - Lottery team from 08-12 (5 years).
                                "Bruno?
                                He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

Working...
                                X