The Toronto Raptors will win the NBA Championship this decade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Val > Hibbert

Wiggins > George (hyped-potential wise.)

I think by 2020 with Val 27, and Wiggins 24, we could be a better version of the Pacers this year.
    The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

I love the optimism Nosike.. however I'll be happy if the Raptors get to 50 wins in a season before the decade ends.

Comment

lilmamba_ wrote: View Post
        no I think you need to re-read

People cheer because they love the team because their loyal and devoted to it and ofcourse if your team is doing well its a bonus
        we cheer because the team means something to all of us
        the thing is that the word toronto raptors is engraved into our hearts and thats why it hurts when they lose but they can keep losing and it would keep hurting but that mark would always stay deep inside our souls
        brap brap *LEGGO RAPTORS* bang bang

What if were gonna be like the bobcats for the next forever
        what if were gonna suck with no hope whatsoever
        I honestly dont care how much they suck I'll be hella proud that I'm raps fan
        how can you even say that were gonna win a tittle
        If thats the way you look at the team jump onto another wagon now
        Stay Gold Mamba. Stay Gold.
        Last edited by Joey; Sat Dec 14, 2013, 11:10 PM.

Comment

Brandon wrote:
          All this talk about love for the team and loyalty -- you know you're being loyal to a marketing idea created by a megacorporation with, let's say, 10 orders of magnitude more power than you'll ever have, right? It's a little like a religion. I don't love the team or its fabulously wealthy and powerful owners, I am extremely skeptical of the whole thing.
          Brandon!

You are not a dinosaur.

Can I copy and paste this every time tanking is brought up?

Comment

Brandon wrote:
            You can do whatever you want to do, but I'm not sure why it's an argument against tanking.
            Tanking is not an argument.
            It is a perspective.
            This is a perspective.

Comment

Nosike wrote: View Post
              I'll say it again. We will have an NBA Title before the end of this decade.
              What a click generator! Watch out Bleacher Report!
              When Tom Chambers dunks an NBA player gets their hops...

Comment

Brandon wrote:
                I wouldn't say I "love the team." I enjoy hoops to some extent, at least when it's well-played. I found most of the Bargnani/Gay games unwatchable, so I skipped them. Most of the league is unwatchable too.

All this talk about love for the team and loyalty -- you know you're being loyal to a marketing idea created by a megacorporation with, let's say, 10 orders of magnitude more power than you'll ever have, right? It's a little like a religion. I don't love the team or its fabulously wealthy and powerful owners, I am extremely skeptical of the whole thing.
                That's a little cynical. I think cheering for and liking your home team is an innate thing thats starts within the individual. Do corporations and athletes then profit from this? Of course, and very handsomely. But they're exploiting a feeling that's already there, they aren't creating it from nothing.

But I can't say that I disagree with you about being a little jaded towards the whole pro sports thing at this moment in history. I actually dislike seeing the Raptors live because I can't handle all the stupid bulls**t that goes on to 'supplement' the actual game - the 'In-Game Experience', I believe they call it.
                "Stop eating your sushi."
                "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                - Jack Armstrong

Comment

This thread defeats the point of this site:

WIN OR LOSE. HERE WE STAND.

that's what its all about

Comment

Edgar wrote: View Post
                    What a click generator! Watch out Bleacher Report!
                    Are you stupid? (rhetorical)

This is a forum, not his own personal website. The term 'click generator' are reserved for those who actually benefit from extra clicks. (Newpapers, personal blogs, etc)

Comment

Brandon wrote:
                      I wouldn't say I "love the team." I enjoy hoops to some extent, at least when it's well-played. I found most of the Bargnani/Gay games unwatchable, so I skipped them. Most of the league is unwatchable too.

I am just as cynical from the business side of the NBA - especially when you hear Jalen Rose talk about playing for contracts, or you take a moment to think about how billionaire owners are making hundreds of millions off of buying and selling these franchises as a personal hobby. The "loyalty" talk is extremely naive.

On the other hand, my perspective on the NBA is you have to do a bit of digging and ignore some sideshow nonsense to get the pure basketball enjoyment out of it. I love basketball, the sport. The best ballers in the world play in the NBA. The NBA comes with some junk, but it's still the best basketball in the world - you've just gotta wear blinders sometimes.

College ball "purists" drive me nuts. There's nothing pure about college ball. Arguably the economics there are a far greater disgrace than in the NBA. And all the lovely "team ball" has more to do with a much lower talent level than any kind of basketball purity.
                      "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

S.R. wrote: View Post
                        I am just as cynical from the business side of the NBA - especially when you hear Jalen Rose talk about playing for contracts, or you take a moment to think about how billionaire owners are making hundreds of millions off of buying and selling these franchises as a personal hobby. The "loyalty" talk is extremely naive.

On the other hand, my perspective on the NBA is you have to do a bit of digging and ignore some sideshow nonsense to get the pure basketball enjoyment out of it. I love basketball, the sport. The best ballers in the world play in the NBA. The NBA comes with some junk, but it's still the best basketball in the world - you've just gotta wear blinders sometimes.

College ball "purists" drive me nuts. There's nothing pure about college ball. Arguably the economics there are a far greater disgrace than in the NBA. And all the lovely "team ball" has more to do with a much lower talent level than any kind of basketball purity.
                        Agree with you.

The NBA is a business, but that doesn't mean I can't enjoy that business. Apple is hugely profitable, but I still like my iphone.
                        "Bruno?
                        Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
                        He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

Brandon wrote:

All this talk about love for the team and loyalty -- you know you're being loyal to a marketing idea created by a megacorporation with, let's say, 10 orders of magnitude more power than you'll ever have, right? It's a little like a religion. I don't love the team or its fabulously wealthy and powerful owners, I am extremely skeptical of the whole thing .
                          Well, aren't you just too cool for school..
                          9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

KeonClark wrote: View Post
                            Well, aren't you just too cool for school..
                            Its like he feels he is too cool for NBA ball.
                            Ironically, he spends hours on this forum, practically daily. So I think he is just outlining something he dislikes about himself, which is his loyalty to "a marketing idea".

Personally, I grew up as a kid with some of my best memories being with my dad taking me to a Raptors game. I was never marketed to personally, I dont see Raptor commercials anywhere (unless im watching the Raptors). Yet, I have chosen to become loyal to this team because I feel as part of their history, and their history feels apart of mine. I have watched Demar get drafted, and go through so many turmoils and difficulties, only to return to the court every year with ambition and courage enough to step up his game. I cannot experience such histories personally without committing to the team despite bad basketball. I am with this team win or lose, because they feel like a distinct part of my identity, and as they change, so do I, as they grow and get better through adversity, I find the motivation to do the same.

One can dismiss sports as just sports, and basketball teams as just marketing machines, but no marketing campaign has ever fostered the connection a true fan has to their team.

Comment

Brandon wrote:

So much envy in this post.

Comment

Brandon wrote:
                                I'm sorry that my remarks were interpreted as a personal attack on those who feel differently about the team.

I understand what you're saying, but personally, I have no problem directing my attention how corporations like so long as it pleases me.
                                "Bruno?
                                Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
                                He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

Working...
                                X