Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Craig wrote: View Post
    If so, they will regret it for the next five years
    No, actually, they won't. Players will never regret doing well and making the playoffs.

You might regret it, but they won't.

Honestly, I won't regret it either. I'm gonna take a lot of flack for this, but I don't even regret the 06 to 08 playoff success we had. That was some of the funnest times I had as a Raptors fan (VC was fun, but I was still pretty young then -- aka Hooters for playoff games wasn't an option).

People want to say that the way BC built the team then set us up for the shityness that has been the last 5 years. But actually, I think BC's subsequent impatience and stupid moves (Kapono, Oneal, Turkoglu, etc.) is what ruined that team.

3 to 6 seeds that consistently make the playoffs year in year out, and that fight to make adjustments that will carry them to the next round (Hawks, Nuggets type teams) have generally satisfied fans. To me there is something wrong about thinking championship contender or bust when you haven't even made the playoffs in 5 years. If taking could guarantee you a championship contender, then sure, go for it. But it can't even guarantee you a good pick, or in the event you get a good pick, a good player.

There is SO MUCH HYPE about this draft class. Let's call that for what it is though: hype. No one here knows what kind of player Wiggins or Parker will be in the NBA, in the same way no one knew what kind of player Oden or Habeet would be. There is no such thing as a surefire pick. Heck, we haven't even been able to tank successfully in recent years, and that was when the east was significantly better. It is such a crapshoot with so many landmines along the way.

So to every tankhead out there, I say this: be careful what you wish for.

If you're not careful, you'll end up as the next Minnesota. Talk about 'building through the draft'. Every year people are drooling over how good the young draft prospects Minnesota accumulated from years of tanking will be. And every year they fail, and now Kevin Love has one foot out the door.

If you want to talk about real regret, talk about blowing a team up for a chance at catching lighting in a bottle, and missing. Now that's something to regret.

Comment

• stooley wrote: View Post
      They are probably better than Demar in the same way that Demar probably won't suffer a career ending injury this year.

You don't have to make predictions with complete certainty to act on them.
      Agree completely.

Comment

• themasao wrote: View Post
        No, actually, they won't. Players will never regret doing well and making the playoffs.

Honestly, I won't regret it either. I'm gonna take a lot of flack for this, but I don't even regret the 06 to 08 playoff success we had. That was some of the funnest times I had as a Raptors fan (VC was fun, but I was still pretty young then -- aka Hooters for playoff games wasn't an option).

People want to say that the way BC built the team then set us up for the shityness that has been the last 5 years. But actually, I think BC's subsequent impatience and stupid moves (Kapono, Oneal, Turkoglu, etc.) is what ruined that team.

3 to 6 seeds that consistently make the playoffs year in year out, and that fight to make adjustments that will carry them to the next round (Hawks, Nuggets type teams) have generally satisfied fans. To me there is something wrong about thinking championship contender or bust when you haven't even made the playoffs in 5 years. If taking could guarantee you a championship contender, then sure, go for it. But it can't even guarantee you a good pick, or in the event you get a good pick, a good player.

There is SO MUCH HYPE about this draft class. Let's call that for what it is though: hype. No one here knows what kind of player Wiggins or Parker will be in the NBA, in the same way no one knew what kind of player Oden or Habeet would be. There is no such thing as a surefire pick. Heck, we haven't even been able to tank successfully in recent years, and that was when the east was significantly better. It is such a crapshoot with so many landmines along the way.

If you're not careful, you'll end up as the next Minnesota. Talk about 'building through the draft'. Every year people are drooling over how good the young draft prospects Minnesota accumulated from years of tanking will be. And every year they fail, and now Kevin Love has one foot out the door.

If you want to talk about real regret, talk about blowing a team up for a chance at catching lighting in a bottle, and missing. Now that's something to regret.
        Bang on. I logged on just to agree on this.

I care if we don't win, I care if we don't make the playoffs, I care if our youngin's don't develop into the players we hope they can become. I'm just a fan and not being part of the "big dance" for the better part of the last 5 years suck. I trust that the new GM has a plan in place and knows the options that are out there. I also trust that he has paid attention to what had happened in Toronto the last five years of mediocrity and knows what not to do. Masai is getting paid the big bucks to put a good team out on the floor and we can only hope that the good team can translate to a great one with the right personel. Whether it's through the draft, trades or free agency, I trust he'll do what's best for the team, not only for now but for the years ahead.
        #Raptor4Life, #Prepping4thePlayoffs

Comment

• consmap wrote: View Post
          As long as they aren't Gay.
          nbadraft.net compare Wiggins to Pippen... You know who they were comparing Gay to back in '06?

Comment

• charlesnba23 wrote: View Post
            nbadraft.net compare Wiggins to Pippen... You know who they were comparing Gay to back in '06?
            Apparently Gay's similarity score on basketball-reference.com has him most closely comparable to...a black hole.

That can't be a typo...

Comment

I agree with you in theory but your example was David Kahn.

He should write a book - "Transactions: What NOT to do!"

Comment

Just with regards to the Hawks: analysts and fans alike were absolutely thrilled when Joe Johnson was traded signalling the end of that era.

I think Hawks fans are happier with where they are now.
                "Bruno?
                Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
                He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

• consmap wrote: View Post
                  As long as they aren't Gay.
                  So true.

Comment

Good post.

Comment

• stooley wrote: View Post
                      Just with regards to the Hawks: analysts and fans alike were absolutely thrilled when Joe Johnson was traded signalling the end of that era.

I think Hawks fans are happier with where they are now.
                      Very true. But the Hawks are still a playoff team (easy top 4 seed) and never went full blowup/tank mode.

Don't see any reason why us trading Gay can't be like the Hawks trading Johnson. You don't have to go full tank to become a good team.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                        I agree with you in theory but your example was David Kahn.

He should write a book - "Transactions: What NOT to do!"
                        Working title: "The Wrath of Khan: How to Ruin a Franchise (and draft lots of point guards)"

*Co-authored by Rob Babcock

Comment

Working title: "The Wrath of Khan: How to Ruin a Franchise (and draft lots of point guards)"

*Co-authored by Rob Babcock
                          Isn't that guy (Babcock) with Minnesota now as a consultant or something? *shudder* at that thought...
                          #Raptor4Life, #Prepping4thePlayoffs

Comment

• Enjoyed the game. Just finished watching it on PVR and avoided finding out who won so the ending was a complete surprise, (though suspected after watching first half last night.

I am glad I am not Masai, because I think his job is harder now. Maybe not. Maybe he has his mind made up. But I have gotten more pleasure out of watching the post Gay Raps then I have in any other time the last four years. This kind of play will have a payoff for MLSE right now. And will up attendance and bring viewers back to the TV. That is the dangerous thing. Will MLSE talk to TL and say "Well...it looks like we can actually start making some money Tim. Maybre the luxury tax and 2 years of suckage aren't really necessary."

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post
                              Enjoyed the game. Just finished watching it on PVR and avoided finding out who won so the ending was a complete surprise, (though suspected after watching first half last night.

I am glad I am not Masai, because I think his job is harder now. Maybe not. Maybe he has his mind made up. But I have gotten more pleasure out of watching the post Gay Raps then I have in any other time the last four years. This kind of play will have a payoff for MLSE right now. And will up attendance and bring viewers back to the TV. That is the dangerous thing. Will MLSE talk to TL and say "Well...it looks like we can actually start making some money Tim. Maybre the luxury tax and 2 years of suckage aren't really necessary."
                              It benefits Masai as well. If this team makes the playoff Masai will be in the running for a repeat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Working...
                              X