What's your price on Amir?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brothersteve wrote: View Post
    Amir is what you hope a top 10 pick turns into after 3 seasons - he still young, he likes Toronto - he'll re-sign here - it would be stupid to trade him for a top 10 pick & no team is going to give you the top 5 pick for him that would be worth getting excited over.

Tyler Hansbrough is someone you could consider trading for a lottery pick - but again - no good reason to bother as you'd be lucky to end up with a player as good 3 years from now - but there's no "attachment" to Toronto yet so he's a better player to trade.

A lot of these trade "suggestions" floating around right now really come under the heading of - Why would you do that exactly? How does that make this team better? You're going to get a franchise changer with a late lotto pick? Really?

I like the keep him idea
    again, another great response.

Comment

• brothersteve wrote: View Post
      Tyler Hansbrough is someone you could consider trading for a lottery pick - but again - no good reason to bother as you'd be lucky to end up with a player as good 3 years from now
      I want what you're drinking.

brothersteve wrote: View Post
      A lot of these trade "suggestions" floating around right now really come under the heading of - Why would you do that exactly? How does that make this team better? You're going to get a franchise changer with a late lotto pick? Really?

I like the keep him idea
      1) How does it make this team better?
      This team sucks. You might as well try and do something.

2) You're going to get a franchise changer with a late lotto pick? Really?

In the last 15 years
      Dirk Nowitzki (9)
      Paul Pierce (10)
      Shawn Marion (9)
      Ron Artest (16)
      Joe Johnson (10)
      Zach Randolph (19)
      Amare Stoudemire (9)
      David West (18)
      Andre Iguodala (9)
      Al Jefferson (15)
      Josh Smith (17)
      Andrew Bynum (10)
      Danny Granger (17)
      Rudy Gay (8)
      Joakim Noah (9)
      Brook Lopez (10)
      Roy Hibbert (17)
      Steph Curry (7)
      Jrue Holiday (17)
      Ty Lawson (18)
      Paul George (10)
      Eric Bledsoe (18)
      Klay Thompson (11)
      Kwahi Leonard (15)
      Andre Drummond (9)

Comment

• knowledgep wrote: View Post
        Amen, if woj reports it, it's legit
        You mean like when he wrote, in January:

"Clinging to the eighth playoff spot in the Eastern Conference, losers of six of their last seven games, the predictable calls of "blow it up" begin again now.

Here's the reality: No one in the NBA is waiting with a fistful of talented young players and draft picks for Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett. No one mortgages franchise futures for aging thirty-something stars. Yes, "let's blow it up and start over" sounds noble in theory, but mostly leaves franchises in a hazy state of disarray for years to come."

Is it the "No one mortgages franchise futures for aging thirty-something stars" part, or the "Yes, "let's blow it up and start over" sounds noble in theory, but mostly leaves franchises in a hazy state of disarray for years to come." part that's legit, or both?

Or would further comments from the same article convince doubters that whatever Woj says is legit:

" Nevertheless, the financial reality of the NBA has changed the way franchises have to inspect the trading away of assets for futures. When the lottery balls don't deliver LeBron James, Kevin Durant, and Derrick Rose, rebuilding can be a long, painful and expensive process........ These Celtics owners had years of bad lottery teams and the empty luxury suites and arena seats that come with it "
        Or
        "This is a different day, a different era, a different financial landscape in the NBA. No one gives up packages of good young players and draft picks for All-Stars in the advanced stages of careers now. Those days are gone."
        Or
        ""Blow it up" sounds great on the barstool, but this is a different reality in the NBA, a different day."

Hmmm, doesn't sound like he's got an accurate finger on the pulse of the NBA all the time, but how about his opinion on the "blow-it-up" barstool talk leading to years and years of misery most of the time?

We gotta trust in Woj!!!

Comment

• Letter N wrote: View Post

In the last 15 years
          Dirk Nowitzki (9)
          Paul Pierce (10)
          Shawn Marion (9)
          Ron Artest (16)
          Joe Johnson (10)
          Zach Randolph (19)
          Amare Stoudemire (9)
          David West (18)
          Andre Iguodala (9)
          Al Jefferson (15)
          Josh Smith (17)
          Andrew Bynum (10)
          Danny Granger (17)
          Rudy Gay (8)
          Joakim Noah (9)
          Brook Lopez (10)
          Roy Hibbert (17)
          Steph Curry (7)
          Jrue Holiday (17)
          Ty Lawson (18)
          Paul George (10)
          Eric Bledsoe (18)
          Klay Thompson (11)
          Kwahi Leonard (15)
          Andre Drummond (9)
          Post of the MONTH !!!! Next we will hear that Amir is better than these guys ... Seriously, the problem with this franchise is the delusional fans ... You will never hear Laker fans come out and say Nick Young is what you hope your top 10 draft pick becomes in 3 years just because Nick Young is scoring like a man on fire in this crappy laker team now.

Comment

• Jamshid wrote: View Post
            So your hope for TOP 10 player in draft in 3 years is Amir Johnson ... So where are the stars of this league drafted ?? Aren't they drafted in top 10 ?? Guy like AI, Curry, ...
            Amir is better than you give him credit for, thats simply the facts my friend. A draft pick might be better in time, but you know, a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush.

Comment

In the last 15 years
              Dirk Nowitzki (9)
              Paul Pierce (10)
              Shawn Marion (9)
              Ron Artest (16)
              Joe Johnson (10)
              Zach Randolph (19)
              Amare Stoudemire (9)
              David West (18)
              Andre Iguodala (9)
              Al Jefferson (15)
              Josh Smith (17)
              Andrew Bynum (10)
              Danny Granger (17)
              Rudy Gay (8)
              Joakim Noah (9)
              Brook Lopez (10)
              Roy Hibbert (17)
              Steph Curry (7)
              Jrue Holiday (17)
              Ty Lawson (18)
              Paul George (10)
              Eric Bledsoe (18)
              Klay Thompson (11)
              Kwahi Leonard (15)
              Andre Drummond (9)
              Hey buddy, why don't you list all tehe top 15 picks over the last 10-12 years that suck. The list is much larger. Your dramatic effect looks nice, but it holds absolutely......... zip.

If you wanna talk numbers, and percentages on gambles.... you aint' winning this one, especially when the total package you get with Amir is as good or better than a large number of the player you have listed there.

post of the month my ass... hahahaha

Comment

• Jamshid wrote: View Post
                Post of the MONTH !!!! Next we will hear that Amir is better than these guys ... Seriously, the problem with this franchise is the delusional fans ... You will never hear Laker fans come out and say Nick Young is what you hope your top 10 draft pick becomes in 3 years just because Nick Young is scoring like a man on fire in this crappy laker team now.
                I'm one of um....wanna compare our Basketball qualifications?

Bet I win.

You're an mean person too.

Comment

• Is your goal for this team to "not suck" or to be "great"?

Comment

• Craig wrote: View Post
                    Hey buddy, why don't you list all tehe top 15 picks over the last 10-12 years that suck. The list is much larger. Your dramatic effect looks nice, but it holds absolutely......... zip.

If you wanna talk numbers, and percentages on gambles.... you aint' winning this one, especially when the total package you get with Amir is as good or better than a large number of the player you have listed there.

post of the month my ass... hahahaha
                    Yeah I am on Craigs side, the argument fails if for every Paul George there was a Patrick O'Bryant.
                    One cannot give us only the successes without giving us the sample size.

Given the list, the range is picks 8-18 (11 picks), and given 15 years. (15 * 11) We have 165 players. I only counted 25 names on that list making a 'success' proportion of: 25/165 = 15.2%

Trade Amir for a 15% chance at any player on that list? No. Never.
                    The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

• Craig wrote: View Post
                      I'm one of um....wanna compare our Basketball qualifications?

Bet I win.

You're an mean person too.

"Basketball qualifications"? They're handing out accredited degrees in basketball now?

Comment

• enlightenment wrote: View Post
                        Yeah I am on Craigs side, the argument fails if for every Paul George there was a Patrick O'Bryant.
                        One cannot give us only the successes without giving us the sample size.

Given the list, the range is picks 8-18 (11 picks), and given 15 years. (15 * 11) We have 165 players. I only counted 25 names on that list making a 'success' proportion of: 25/165 = 15.2%

Trade Amir for a 15% chance at any player on that list? No. Never.
                        Exactly what i was getting at. Its easy to use stat to chest pound, but be prepared, internetters are good at tearing stats to pieces. As you just exhibited.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                          "Basketball qualifications"? They're handing out accredited degrees in basketball now?
                          Well, yes, you mean... you didn't know?

hahaha

rookie.

Comment

• Mike James' stats in 05-06 for the Raptors
                            20.3 PPG
                            5.8 APG
                            47% FG
                            44% 3pt

basically untradeable if you asked (some of) the members on this board.

Comment

• themasao wrote: View Post
                              People are saying they would be ecstatic to get a 5-10 range pick or even a 10-15 pick in exchange for Johnson (some even less, but I'll ignore that for now). Just to put some perspective on the top 10 pick rhetoric:

It's generally agreed that this is the best draft class since 2003, but not as good a draft class as 2003. If you had had a 5-10 pick in 2003 you would have got one of the following 5 players: Dwayne Wade, Chris Kaman, Kirk Hinrich, TJ Ford, Michael Sweetney, Jarvis Hayes.

Only one of those players is currently better than Amir, and its debatable to whether any have ever been as good as Amir is now (never been a huge fan of Kaman but you could maybe make the argument).

If you expand to look at the 10-15 picks you're looking at: Jarvis Hayes, Mikael Pietrus, Nick Collison, Marcus Banks, Luke Ridnour or Reece Gains.

So of the 5 - 15 picks that you all covet so much, in a draft that everyone admits is at most as good as this one, you are likely to get ONE PLAYER better than Amir. That's a 10% chance, but really, it's much worse than that, because only a top 5 pick would have secured you that player.
                              I think the biggest appeal to trading Amir for a high draft pick (5-10) range, is that it gives the Raptors the ideal asset to move up in the draft. If the Raptors pick is in a similar range, then offering, say, the 5th and 8th picks might be enough to move up to top 3 (to say nothing of the improved odds of winning in the draft). Would you trade Amir if it was the best play available to go after Wiggins? I don't really believe there's a trade out there for Amir that gets us a top 10 draft pick this year. But if there was, I would do it in a heartbeat.

Comment

Is your goal for this team to "not suck" or to be "great"?
                                The goal is to be great, and to be great you have to recognize what you have, and understand your own talent. I know that the trade machine on ESPN, and that NBA2K14 are good for kinda playing round with being a GM, but I think we can all agree there are a myriad of different factors one has to consider when building a franchise. If you continually gamble, you can't win, we just tried that for 7 years. At some point you have to exercise restraint, hold on to players that show commitment, effort, efficiency and production. Amir is that guy. What he brings, he brings in spades and the guys is only 26 and has a decent contract, locked in.

Nope. You don't trade the guy, unless its for a VERY high pick (unlikely) or a KNOWN commodity.

Comment

Working...
                                X