Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DC and development of young players: bad players, bad coach or something more?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    I mistakenly assumed you wanted to discuss his playing time, which has been an ongoing discussion for well over a season, which is why your post was moved.

Had I realized you actually were going for conspiracy theories, I probably would have closed the thread and moved it to the trash-bin.

I'm democratic enough to give you a little leeway but, from the posts above mine, I think you're flying solo on this expedition!
    I stated repetitively which you ignored. The sporting news had some interesting comments from DC in September 13,2013 that looking bad suggest there has been issues between the two of them going back to last year. JV to his credit has kept his mouth shut but his body language, at times, is that of a defiant player who wants more. DC's actions show he does not have much faith in JV. Remember last year when DC played AA so much? DC seems to have more faith in veterans than younger players. I think this could be a huge issue moving forward because JV most likely will not be traded and DC will stunt his development and confidence if continues in the repetitive pattern he has done cumulatively last year and this year.

Comment

psrs1 wrote: View Post
      I stated repetitively which you ignored. The sporting news had some interesting comments from DC in September 13,2013 that looking bad suggest there has been issues between the two of them going back to last year. JV to his credit has kept his mouth shut but his body language, at times, is that of a defiant player who wants more. DC's actions show he does not have much faith in JV. Remember last year when DC played AA so much? DC seems to have more faith in veterans than younger players. I think this could be a huge issue moving forward because JV most likely will not be traded and DC will stunt his development and confidence if continues in the repetitive pattern he has done cumulatively last year and this year.
      The interesting comments Casey gave to the Sporting News about JV in the Fall seem like they would be relevant in this thread.

Comment

Everything you just said has been an ongoing discussion for the past two seasons (I think that speaks to "repetitively"). Threads have been dedicated to arguing about DC's preference for veterans and the apparent mismatch between his coaching styles and rebuilding. You're acting as though this is something new and shocking that you've uncovered.

As for whether there's a hidden, deeper issue at work, none of us have any idea since we're not in the locker room.

What players doesn't want more playing time, rookie, sophomore, or otherwise?

Comment

Was there sustained and ongoing tension between Iverson and Larry Brown? Yes.

Was there sustained and ongoing tension between Rafer Alson and Sam Mitchell? Yes.

Is there sustained and ongoing tension between JV and Casey? No.

Just a Coach not trusting his player, and a Player feeling like he's earned that trust.

Comment

thats tension

Comment

Everything you just said has been an ongoing discussion for the past two seasons (I think that speaks to "repetitively"). Threads have been dedicated to arguing about DC's preference for veterans and the apparent mismatch between his coaching styles and rebuilding. You're acting as though this is something new and shocking that you've uncovered.

As for whether there's a hidden, deeper issue at work, none of us have any idea since we're not in the locker room.

What players doesn't want more playing time, rookie, sophomore, or otherwise?
              Do you think DC is treating JV fairly? As most posters are pro-tank isn't best that JV gets opportunity to continue his development? Do you want to be at the same point next year with a different coach and some new players?

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post

Just a Coach not trusting his player, and a Player feeling like he's earned that trust.
                I'm not even sure it's that complicated. Honestly, I believe it's as simple as Casey not being a very good coach. He doesn't get it. Not just with JV, with everyone. The way he utilizes virtually every player on the team is sub-optimal. Why would JV be any different? It's just more noticable with JV because he's the highest profile young player.

Comment

There's nothing wrong... Casey's just a moron.
                  "Masai WILL win us a championship"
                  - Tim Leiweke

Ujiri: "One thing I can say for sure is that we will not be stuck in the middle."

Reporter: "How can you say that?"

Ujiri: "Because I can say that."

Comment

Was there sustained and ongoing tension between Rafer Alson and Sam Mitchell? Yes.

Sam Mitchell had a list on Alston's locker reminding him what to do and what not to do. The two could not co-exist. I don't want a repeat of this.

Comment

I'm not sure that's true. From what I hear/read, every time Jonas is asked about his playing time issues, he always refers strongly to his need to be better, and doesn't come close to implying there's an issue with Casey. As far as the frustrated body language we're seeing often, I'd like to think JV isn't a "it's all about me" player when it comes to playing time, and that the frustration we're seeing, and interpreting differently, is him being frustrated with himself not executing what he's being taught to do. In short, I think the kid's being hard on himself, not his coach, and that's a good thing.

Comment

Do you think DC is treating JV fairly? As most posters are pro-tank isn't best that JV gets opportunity to continue his development? Do you want to be at the same point next year with a different coach and some new players?
                        I think DC is a terrible coach, but I'm willing to bet he believes he's doing what's in the best interest of the Raptors to win this season. As a 'pro-tanker' in favor of a rebuild, I was worried last year with the lack of playing time being given to Valanciunas and Ross, and that has only continued this season. There's nothing unfair about it, that's just a fact of life in pro sports. I think you're reading way too much into a coaching decision.
                        Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Thu Dec 19, 2013, 05:21 PM.

Comment

I think DC is a terrible coach, but I'm willing to bet he believes he's doing what's in the best interest of the Raptors to win this season. As a 'pro-tanker' in favor of a rebuild, I was worried last year with the lack of playing time being given to Valanciunas and Ross, and that has only continued this season. There's nothing unfair about it, that's just a fact of life in pro sports. I think you're reading way too much into a coaching decision.
                          Did you DC video on game thread from last night?

Comment

This is the sort of issue where I trust Ujiri has a pretty good read on it (much better than fans watching for non-verbal cues during timeouts) and would act appropriately if he felt it was a potentially explosive situation. I think MU respects Casey's authority to manage minutes, but would intervene things if he saw a deteriorating relationship. At least I would hope that would be MU's reaction to the situation. For what it's worth, my reading of JV's body language is pretty much what p00ka has said.

Comment

Body language is so important. I'm trying to peg Jonas' recent behaviour on this graphic, but I need some help:

"We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

I don't think its tension its just DC being a complete idiot, he has no idea how to manage young players and develop them
                                "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

Working...
                                X