No announcement yet.

Durant will sign with the Raptors in 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's under the assumption we sign NO ONE for the next 2 years.

I think there's a higher chance of Peace on Earth than Durant coming to Toronto.
    your pal,
    ebrian

Comment

I don't think it's a sure thing but it's definitely a possibility. A lot will depend on how the Raptors have done until that point. Even though Durant grew up a Raptors fan because of Vince Carter, I don't see him being closed to the idea.
      Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

Nosike wrote: View Post
        Not enough positivity on these boards, just going to make a bold statement here. I stand by it, Durant will be a Raptor come the 2016 offseason.
        My first reaction was that Nosike is either female, or prone to over-emotionalism.

However, it actually isn't out of the realm of possibility. KD is 25.

Let's say the Raptors draft well in 2014, maybe a Glen Robinson 3, Vonleh, Lavine....or better yet, Jabari or Wiggins.

Keep Lowry, Amir, JV, Ross, DD, Patterson, Vasquez through to 2016. Accumulate some nicer bench pieces then the scrubs that are there now....like maybe get Ed Davis back, or Tony Wroten, or Jae Crowder. (or all 3)

That's a pretty good Raptors team, that just requires one superstar to put them into the elite.

Let's say Masai starts sending overtures early to KD about the "plan"....it's conceivable that he goes for it.

Of course, the MLSE would have to approve breaking the bank in the luxury tax...

Comment

just because something isn't technically impossible doesn't mean its actually plausible. other than having cap space and ideally having a better lineup, whats differentiating toronto as a destination for a huge FA versus 29 other teams in 2016?

by 2016 KD will be entering his 9th season. hes already antsy about a championship. lebron didn't get his first ring till his 9th season either, but while i expect the raptors to be a much more capable team by then, i highly doubt it will be our championship year.

i suppose theres a need for some positivity around here, but really now, some of these discussions are just getting too surreal and approaching the territory of make-belief fantasy.

Comment

Pele wrote: View Post
            My first reaction was that Nosike is either female, or prone to over-emotionalism.
            I'm not female (that was extremely sexist btw), and how am I being emotional?

Comment

Nosike wrote: View Post
              I'm not female (that was extremely sexist btw), and how am I being emotional?
              Apologies about the sexism.

I've never felt that the Republic was too negative. Just lot's of personalities who deconstruct each other's premises, who critique and even criticize. I don't consider this negative. Hammering out opinions on the anvil of confrontation is part of what blogging is all about.

I also sense the republic is undergirded by a universal passion for winning, and that current can manifest itself in negative comments when the Raps are playing badly. I don't necessarily see this as negative, in an overall sense; quite the opposite...it's human.

Btw, I like this thread. I never thought of KD in a Raps uniform, but it's hugely enticing, and maybe not as impossible as some might think. Toronto is emerging into a top tier city, after all.

About being emotional, I read your posts frequently, and do find them to exude a certain passion that other, more clinical contributors, don't possess.

Comment

Anyone who leaves to go win elsewhere can stay there as far as I am concerned. He wanted to leave and didn't care doing so, now because so he has rings allow him to come back. He hasn't got any better there, it's all LBJ and Wade, Bosh is the replaceable cog in the wheel that's all. He can stay there with his elbow jumper, and allow our young guys to win together without all his wisdom and greatness. Bosh back here will hurt young players development. Plus he will demand like 15 mil not even close to worth that, LBJ if he leaves MIA I can definitely see him back in Cleveland, not Toronto.

Comment

But if they win don't count on anyone going anywhere, that being Miami

Comment

Miami is apparently looking for BACK TO THE BASKET center, and more shooting guard help. He might be on his way out of there sooner than later, just not here I hope.

Comment

iblastoff wrote: View Post
                      i suppose theres a need for some positivity around here, but really now, some of these discussions are just getting too surreal and approaching the territory of make-belief fantasy.
                      Oh you clearly have no idea why TL was hired do you?

He's here to bring the big time to Toronto, it might be hard, but don't think it isn't the goal man, it most certainly is.

Comment

Craig wrote: View Post

He's here to bring the big time to Toronto, it might be hard, but don't think it isn't the goal man, it most certainly is.
                        This.

I'm done settling for the Hedo Turkoglus of the world in free agency. It's time to start aiming higher.

Comment

Durant is garbage

Who needs him!

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                            Durant is garbage

Who needs him!
                            He's clearly going to be looking for a team where he doesn't have garbage around him. Durant for 2014 becomes a real possibility now.

Comment

Fair enough, but there's a HUGE chasm between this stated goal, and it actually happening.

Comment

This is true.

Yes, aiming high flies in the face of NBA tradition, but the more I think about it...

N.A. soccer had never employed the likes of David Beckham before TL talked him in to coming over. Of course the lure of LA was a big part of that.

Closer to home, the Jays had never made a FA/acquisitions splash like they did in the early 90's. Who would want to play baseball in Toronto? All of a sudden the best available players in baseball did, that's who.

Clearly it's a case of winning organizations attracting winning talent, and the Raps are nowhere near that postal code yet. Also, even give that, it's still hard - Dallas just came off a championship, had one of the best players in the league in Dirk, had no state income tax, a warm weather city, and couldn't land any of the players they were angling for. Everybody snuffed them and they ended up with Jose Calderon and Samuel Dalembert instead of Deron Williams and Dwight Howard. It's a challenge.
                                "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

Working...
                                X