Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Awesome thread.

Comment

Kyle Lowry has. He and Amir Johnson have single handedly flipped our tank mid season, and I for one could not be giddier. Now take both against the Knicks boys!!!
      9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

Dec.23/13 @ San Antonio : Another hard fought game against a tough western conference opponent, unfortunately our boys fell a little short down the stretch and couldn't come away with a W. Nonetheless, you could tell they wanted to win, and it felt like they could pull it out until Pops the coaching guru called a key timeout after a Raps mini run that brought them to within 5 (I think) with about 2 minutes to go. The savvy vets on the Spurs squad came out of that timeout and executed some plays and got a couple of stops that extended the lead and the Raps clearly did not have enough in the tank to keep up. No surprise really on the second night of a back to back against possibly the two best teams in the West.

Ross, Lowry, and JV put in the top performances IMO, with Ross and Lowry leading the way offensively. IT was nice to see Ross shoot well, as well as put it on the floor and take into the paint occasionally. I want to see him do this more, although it may result in a few turnovers, he needs to expand his offensive repertoire. Lowry was great again, filling the stat sheet and only turning the ball over once in just under 40 minutes played...that's impressive. JV needs more minutes, his impact on this game goes well beyond the stat sheet. He has vastly improved as of late, getting better position in the paint, and his defensive positioning is also improving. I like it. Tyler played well in limited minutes, but uncharacteristically did not rebound well.

The SAC guys did not impress like usual. I am particularly concerned with Vasquez, as he has a very important role on the team and it seems like he is trying to do to much sometimes. I think if the boys continue to work on the PnR with him it will get better, but the timing seems to off a bit and he ends up forcing bad shots. Raps fans do not want that, we've seen too much of it in the past. I think Vasquez should get most of his minutes when Amir is on the floor, as he is our best PnR big. I'm not sure how I feel on Vasquez and Lowry on the floor at the same time, occasionally maybe, but I think they are logging too many minutes together, but with Lowry playing 40 I guess that's the way it goes.

Demar's stroke seems to be coming down to earth. I wonder if he is feeling some pressure being the number 1 offensive option on the team. The defence is definitely honing in on him, and he doesn't have the freedom like he had when Rudy was here. He needs to recognize this and continue to put himself in the position where he can pass to an open teammate. Passing is definitely something he can work on, and right now, he seems to be missing some of those long jumpers he was hitting earlier in the season, and this is really what the defence is trying to force him into. The Spurs did a good job of keeping him out of the paint, and Demar had to work for any scores he got inside.

From a defensive standpoint, I'll just say this...you ain't gonna beat the Spurs if Parker can dribble around the court as much as he wants and get into the paint at will. And that's basically what happened, and Green hit some key 3's off of Parker passes in the second half that kept the lead intact. On a positive side, the SA bigs did not have a big impact on the game offensively (well, outside of offensive boards) so thumbs up to our bigs for limiting their scoring.

On another note: wouldn't it be great if MU can work his magic and get us another SF and PF, so that Ross and Amir can come off the bench with Vasquez? I wouldn't even mind if Salmons got a few starts just to see how that would work out. And although I believe Amir is an effective starter, pairing him with a PnR PG like Vasquez off the bench with shooters like Ross and Patterson could be a very formidable bench unit.

Comment

Joy to the world!

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
            Joy to the world!

Be interesting to see what Masai does.

Sometimes you gotta keep rolling with it.

On the other hand, New York gets blown out on Christmas Day, Raps play NY in the Home and Home, and maybe take two games with Carmelo out with a sprained ankle...Could Lowry have a couple of monster games and force a trade?

Raps Republic gets to cheer for the wins and restart the tank. Win, Win.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
              Joy to the world!

Isn't there a stat that 88% of teams that have only one loss in preseason make the playoffs ? Yet raps missed playoffs last year.

Comment

psrs1 wrote: View Post
                Isn't there a stat that 88% of teams that have only one loss in preseason make the playoffs ? Yet raps missed playoffs last year.
                Hey...Isn't this the cheering thread?

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post
                  Hey...Isn't this the cheering thread?
                  Fair enough. Maybe this year will be different.

Comment

Another victory on the road vs. NYK. Good job Raps! Lets take that momentum home!!

Comment

Another NYK beat down at home. Good to see a home W. Tough stretch coming. Go Raps. C'mon fans, start posting your cheers here, I'm looking like a douche posting so much in my own thread!!

Comment

Amir is a top 6 PF in the league now.

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post
                          RPT23...Your Avatar is super awesome. Blows all others out of the tank.
                          Haha thanks Puffer... I wish I could find a genius tank avatar (even though I'm anti-tank). I think this group of fans are more passionate than the fans around the league (at least where I've been lurking about in the interwebs).
                          #Raptor4Life, #Prepping4thePlayoffs

Comment

Jamshid wrote: View Post
                            Amir is a top 6 PF in the league now.
                            And number 1 in our hearts.

Comment

It's pathetic that such a thread is needed, but it is. Shit, forget even about the 7-3 record, these young men are playing the best version of the game of basketball that we've seen from the Raptors in many years,,,,,, AND they're young!!! Not just in a game or 2, but for 10 straight games. These games encompass road & home games, bottom as well as very top teams, consistent stepping it up in the 4th qtr and closing out games instead of the 4th qtr collapses we'd come to expect..............

YET

The board is still dominated by:
                              - we need to tank
                              - we need to rid ourselves of DeMar
                              - we need to tank
                              - this team's ceiling is treadmill
                              - DeMar's is overrated, and I got stats to back me up. It's the only thing I got, but I got stats!
                              - we need to tank
                              - we're doomed if we don't
                              - if you don't agree with me, you're short-sighted and satisfied with mediocre. I know better. See my stats!

There needs to be somewhere for fans that enjoy what they're seeing, to discuss what they're liking without the constant barrage of doom and gloomers bent on raining on others' enjoyment. You choose to be miserable. Go right ahead! But effing chill on the constant "I'm not happy, and you're naive unless you join me in being miserable" like crap.

Everybody has a right to express their opinions, and I salute that right! But repeating the same old opinions day after day, week after week, month after month, even as there's damn enjoyable basketball being played? pfffffffffffffffffft

End of new year's eve rant. I'll try harder to be more miserable in the new year.

Comment

The Raps are now 8-3 since the Gay trade I believe and only one game under .500. 3 wins in a row and 7-3 in last ten, 9-8 in the conference, 5-1 in the division, and 9-7 on the road. Only 5-8 at home tho.

Another great 4th for the Raps for a come back W. This team has heart there is no doubt. They believe they can win which is great to see. I don't think anyone had a great game against the Bulls, offensively anyways, but they ground out a W against a very tough defensive team. Good job Raps!

Comment

Working...
                                X