Ross vs. Derozan: who is better off the dribble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Ross is never going to be the man on the wing.

He should focus on lock down and catch and shoot.

If he ever takes more than one dribble, he is doing too much.

I'm not trying to be harsh. I just think his abilities are 3andD and that should be embraced. Raptors issue has always been putting guys in positions to do more than they really should.

BTW he is shooting 39% from three on the year and 44% on 4.4 attempts per game in December/11 games.

You get an elite SF or Elite big SG who cam create for himself and stick Ross to him, that would Nice.
    like DeMar DeRozan?
    @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
      like DeMar DeRozan?
      Big derozan fan but derozan isn't elite.

Him and Ross actually aren't a bad wing pairing though, Ross has done a surprisingly good job of guarding 3s... Though we haven't played the bulky ones like Lebron or melo yet.

My ideal wing scenario for this team would be DeMar at 2, an elite do-it-all SF at 3, and Ross who will hopefully become a sharpshooter off the bench.

Comment

Nosike wrote: View Post
        Big derozan fan but derozan isn't elite.

Him and Ross actually aren't a bad wing pairing though, Ross has done a surprisingly good job of guarding 3s... Though we haven't played the bulky ones like Lebron or melo yet.

My ideal wing scenario for this team would be DeMar at 2, an elite do-it-all SF at 3, and Ross who will hopefully become a sharpshooter off the bench.
        I was jkin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Derozen is much more polished right now.

Ross' ceiling is a guy like Danny Green. 3 and D guy, like Matt said. Better defender tho cause of his size.
          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Calling Ross a 3 and D guy is an insult to his freak of nature athleticism give this guy a handle and he could be very good.

Comment

He actually played Durant pretty tight in the OKC win and Durant is pretty bulky no?

Comment

Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
                Calling Ross a 3 and D guy is an insult to his freak of nature athleticism give this guy a handle and he could be very good.
                Handles are one of the toughest skills to acquire at this level. And it's not like Ross is a 20-year-old sophomore.

Getting to the basket was one of his biggest weaknesses in college and it's been one of his biggest weaknesses his first two years.

Ross is a 3 and D and Dunk guy. It's not an insult, it's just who he is.

Comment

No...just no

Comment

imaqtpi wrote: View Post
                    He actually played Durant pretty tight in the OKC win and Durant is pretty bulky no?
                    No...just no

Comment

As far as who plays better off the dribble is concerned, Derozan is better but Ross' fine play has certainly made Derozan expendable.

When you consider his(Ross) overall skills, a very friendly salary and Derozan's good shooting this year, it only makes sense to trade Derozan.
                      Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

Scraptor wrote: View Post
                        Handles are one of the toughest skills to acquire at this level. And it's not like Ross is a 20-year-old sophomore.

Getting to the basket was one of his biggest weaknesses in college and it's been one of his biggest weaknesses his first two years.

Ross is a 3 and D and Dunk guy. It's not an insult, it's just who he is.
                        This... I don't see how being a 3 and d guy is an insult.

He needs to focus on becoming a 40-45% three point shooter. He has the tools on defense (his wingspan sucks though), if he can improve his iq there he could be a prototypical 3+d guy. Add the fact that the guy can throw down some nasty dunks, and you have potentially a more athletic version of Wesley Mathews. Go look at Wesley Matthews numbers and tell me that's an insult.

Comment

Eric Akshinthala wrote: View Post
                          As far as who plays better off the dribble is concerned, Derozan is better but Ross' fine play has certainly made Derozan expendable.

When you consider his(Ross) overall skills, a very friendly salary and Derozan's good shooting this year, it only makes sense to trade Derozan.
                          Or keep both. They do (or at least should be doing) completely different things. If properly coached, you could have Ross as your 3+d guy off the bench. Ideally derozan would start, but you need to bring in a legit superstar to be the number one option so derozan can actually play within himself. By that I mean corner 3s, attacking the basket off pin down screens, posting up smaller players, etc.

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
                            Derozen is much more polished right now.

Ross' ceiling is a guy like Danny Green. 3 and D guy, like Matt said. Better defender tho cause of his size.
                            Disagree I see his ceiling as a Klay Thompson type but obviously Better on D and more athletic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Nosike wrote: View Post
                              Or keep both. They do (or at least should be doing) completely different things. If properly coached, you could have Ross as your 3+d guy off the bench. Ideally derozan would start, but you need to bring in a legit superstar to be the number one option so derozan can actually play within himself. By that I mean corner 3s, attacking the basket off pin down screens, posting up smaller players, etc.
                              If the Raps. were an established winner and a couple of pieces away from competing for a championship, I'd agree with you. In a re-building stage though, I don't think it's advisable to keep both. Derozan has got to be in demand and Ujiri should take advantage of it.

The reason I think this is working is because Derozan is a guard with a SF skill set. At least offensively. It's the reason it didn't work with Gay. The team essentially had two SF's on the floor. IMO.

I agree with trading Gay but 'IF' it was Derozan and not Gay that was traded, I think we'd be doing, if not just as well, almost as well. What's changed is chemistry.
                              Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

Eric Akshinthala wrote: View Post
                                If the Raps. were an established winner and a couple of pieces away from competing for a championship, I'd agree with you. In a re-building stage though, I don't think it's advisable to keep both. Derozan has got to be in demand and Ujiri should take advantage of it.

The reason I think this is working is because Derozan is a guard with a SF skill set. At least offensively. It's the reason it didn't work with Gay. The team essentially had two SF's on the floor. IMO.

I agree with trading Gay but 'IF' it was Derozan and not Gay that was traded, I think we'd be doing, if not just as well, almost as well. What's changed is chemistry.
                                Why is it not advisable to keep both

Comment

Working...
                                X