Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [QUOTE=Puffer;338631]
    Mediumcore wrote: View Post
    For a centre to be a 20-10 guy may not be a good thing in todays NBA. The league is speeding up, not slowing down. JV scoring 20 pts. a game in the low post could very well mean we have a slower pace than the opposing teams..../QUOTE]

If it comes from transitions, getting up and down quickly, through pick and rolls and through recognition of when he is open, their pace might actually speed up.
    Absolutely, but to average 20 pts over a season it's rare to see that happen unless plays are run for a player. As WJF pointed out, only 19 players averaged 20 pts or more last season. For JV to be in that group quite a few plays have to be run strictly for him.

Comment

• hopefully his ceiling is over 7ft tall
      For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• thead wrote: View Post
        hopefully his ceiling is over 7ft tall

Never change, thead.... never.

Comment

• Based on his play off performance ( Turn Overs and disappearing from the game) , his ceiling is Gortat right now But who knows, maybe he will come in next season and will dominate against big guys in the league ...

Comment

• Disappearing in games is more from playing with DD, who never passes him the ball. EVER.

Even Brooklyn commentators said as such - "The only thing that can stop JV is the Raptors" I believe was the quote

Comment

• OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
              Disappearing in games is more from playing with DD, who never passes him the ball. EVER.

Even Brooklyn commentators said as such - "The only thing that can stop JV is the Raptors" I believe was the quote
              And the honorable Hubie Brown himself said something like "Jonas can't pass himself the ball"

Jonas had a pretty solid playoff. The foul trouble was...unfortunate, but more a product of bullshit whistles. And the turnovers are the only real concern, but that's something you hope gets better as he polishes his post game.

Comment

• I like to put JV's ceiling around where Yao's was, which is 20+ and 10+. You could argue Yao's best season was either his 4th, 5th, or 6th, so even next year is too early for JV's ceiling to be reached.

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                  And the honorable Hubie Brown himself said something like "Jonas can't pass himself the ball"

Jonas had a pretty solid playoff. The foul trouble was...unfortunate, but more a product of bullshit whistles. And the turnovers are the only real concern, but that's something you hope gets better as he polishes his post game.
                  I imagine whenever Jonas grows a huge grizzled beard he will start dominating. I couldn't grow a truly good beard until age 25, so that's what I'm looking for from JV.

Comment

• Mediumcore wrote: View Post

Absolutely, but to average 20 pts over a season it's rare to see that happen unless plays are run for a player. As WJF pointed out, only 19 players averaged 20 pts or more last season. For JV to be in that group quite a few plays have to be run strictly for him.
                    agreed, but if JV was money from the post and able to keep hold of the ball he is getting fed like randolf.

Jamshid wrote: View Post
                    Based on his play off performance ( Turn Overs and disappearing from the game) , his ceiling is Gortat right now But who knows, maybe he will come in next season and will dominate against big guys in the league ...
                    silly, how does a ceiling lower by learning? today at school i learnt how to spell "embryo" so i am a worse speller than i was before? JV improved in the playoffs. you don't think he is practicing holding onto that ball and bullying his way in for 2 and 1?

white men can't jump wrote: View Post

agreed. the turnovers kept him from having plays run through him.

"Mediumcore wrote:
                    For a centre to be a 20-10 guy may not be a good thing in todays NBA. The league is speeding up, not slowing down. JV scoring 20 pts. a game in the low post could very well mean we have a slower pace than the opposing teams..../QUOTE]

If it comes from transitions, getting up and down quickly, through pick and rolls and through recognition of when he is open, their pace might actually speed up."

sorry for the bad medium quote, but i think the reason for this is because there aren't many great post players right now. Teams with dominating post players (grizz, detroit(before smith), pau a few back, and even lebron to an extent) drop the ball in the post at the start of most half court sets. and in the playoffs the half court sets are what win, along with defense.

Comment

• Val's ceiling is a multiple-year all-star like Pau, in my opinion.

But I think he's not going to get there with the team currently as constructed. I have zero hope of him getting the necessary reps under Casey.

Comment

• 24 13 guy. Kinda going on a limb here, big bold guess. If he can hit that 15 footer without hesitation and refine his post skills alittle more. How do you guard him
                        I'm back. I no longer worship joe johnson

Comment

• Scraptor wrote: View Post
                          Val's ceiling is a multiple-year all-star like Pau, in my opinion.

But I think he's not going to get there with the team currently as constructed. I have zero hope of him getting the necessary reps under Casey.
                          One expert at ESPN, I believe it was Franschilla, when Valanciunas was drafted, stated that his ceiling could be that of Gasol. I would be ecstatic if JV developed into that.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post

Never change, thead.... never.
                            Was thinking the saaame thing.

Loving the Peanuts references btw! Haha

Comment

• If JV can get a half decent jumpshot he'll be unstoppable.

They either respect him and he beats them, or they sag and he drains it.
                              The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

• Jamshid wrote: View Post
                                Based on his play off performance ( Turn Overs and disappearing from the game) , his ceiling is Gortat right now But who knows, maybe he will come in next season and will dominate against big guys in the league ...
                                I'll probably get a warning or some stupid crap for this.

But...do you use your brain before typing sometimes?

JV's ceiling is Gortat? You've got to be kidding me. Even a pure JV Hater, or Raptors Hater, would acknowledge that JV's ceiling is higher than Gortat.

Comment

Working...
                                X