Raptors Interested in Loul Deng

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raptors Interested in Loul Deng

Sources: Luol Deng Receiving Interest From Cavaliers, Mavericks, Lakers, Raptors, Spurs, Grizzlies, Nets

Luol Deng is already receiving interest from the Cleveland Cavaliers, Dallas Mavericks, Los Angeles Lakers, Toronto Raptors, San Antonio Spurs, Memphis Grizzlies and Brooklyn Nets among others, according to sources.

The Bulls have reportedly decided they will try to re-sign Deng in free agency.

“I’ve moved around a lot, but this is the longest I’ve been in one place my whole life and I came here at 19," Deng said. "I’m 28 now. I pretty much grew up here. So for me to think about being somewhere else, it’s a weird feeling. But at the same time, I don’t know what it’s like to be somewhere else. I’ve been here my whole career. Maybe it’s better, maybe it’s not. I don’t know that. The best thing I can do is play, be the best I can be and hope it works out. I don’t know if it will be here, if it will be somewhere else. I don’t know that.

"But right now, I can’t hang on to that. I can’t control that. I think when the season’s over and everything is done, then you sit down and you go through that stuff. But for me to think about it now, it’s just a waste of energy because I don’t even know — what am I supposed to think about? I don’t know what city. So it’s just a waste of time.”

It's a laundry list of teams -- so I doubt we could read much into this but it would definitely be an anti-take move.

If the Raps are headed the the playoffs and are out of the Wiggins sweepstakes I think this would be a quality move -- assuming we held onto ross/JV/2014 pick

I'm thinking the Bulls would want prospects picks and expirings for Deng. The Bulls are likely to retool around Rose, Butler, Gibson and keep Noah around.
    For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

He would be a great fit on the Mavericks...might even make them a second round playoff team.
      For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

I don't understand if the article means trades or free agency. It sounds more like free agency. But in that case, how can he be "receiving" interest when teams aren't allowed to even talk about other teams' free agents yet, much less talk to them or their agents.

Targeting Deng in free agency would be ok with me, depending on the quality of the rookie they draft and Deng's salary.

Comment

sidenote: does anyone else think reporters are just including our name in every trade that pops up because Masai is our GM now?

Comment

BobLoblaw wrote: View Post
            I don't understand if the article means trades or free agency. It sounds more like free agency. But in that case, how can he be "receiving" interest when teams aren't allowed to even talk about other teams' free agents yet, much less talk to them or their agents.

Targeting Deng in free agency would be ok with me, depending on the quality of the rookie they draft and Deng's salary.
            Similar to the lowry situation, Chicago may want to trade Deng if they think that he will walk after the season is over.

Comment

thead wrote: View Post
              sidenote: does anyone else think reporters are just including our name in every trade that pops up because Masai is our GM now?
              Likely. + everyone knows that Toronto is looking to make changes, so Toronto is already generating fake trades in all fan communities. Why wouldn't reporters leach onto that and get some clicks.

It's probably the same with the Lakers.

Comment

Mediumcore wrote: View Post
                Similar to the lowry situation, Chicago may want to trade Deng if they think that he will walk after the season is over.
                It doesn't really answer my question, not that I expect an answer.

Comment

Really like Deng.. wanted him when they were going after Gay. Smart player, doesn't try to do to much. Plays D with a vengeance. Talent is talent.. would love to have him for the right price (nothing over $13M per). Would prefer to tank though and he'd be an anti-tank move in my opinion. However if we can get Thibs then f@#! the tank.

Thibs/Deng for DeMar/Tyler and a future first?

Comment

I don't think Thibodeau wants anything to do with Toronto at this time.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                      Really like Deng.. wanted him when they were going after Gay. Smart player, doesn't try to do to much. Plays D with a vengeance. Talent is talent.. would love to have him for the right price (nothing over $13M per). Would prefer to tank though and he'd be an anti-tank move in my opinion. However if we can get Thibs then f@#! the tank.

Thibs/Deng for DeMar/Tyler and a future first?
                      The NBA didn't let the Clippers do a trade like that, I don't see why they'd make an exception for the Raptors.

Comment

Brandon wrote:
                        I wonder if this could be an expiring contract type asset. In other words, wanting the cap space instead of the player. Derozan and Lowry for Deng works, and expires about $14 million in the summer. I'm sure the Raps could also grab a draft pick or two in that deal.
                        then we'd have to watch vasquez and our 'backups' for the rest of the season....shudder.

Comment

lol, another one of these "according to a league source" articles. *better shut up about taking that shit seriously*

The full article does say that it's not trade talk related, but his pending FA status. Well, doh, of course he's of interest to plenty of teams, but as for specific teams, his agent won't confirm any of the teams on the list. Hmmmmm, any chance this is nothing but Deng's agent working early to drive the price up? Nobody else, but someone connected to him, would possibly KNOW such a list of interested parties. I don't care who the mysterious "league source", who seems to have a bug in every GMs office, no such list of teams is advertising their interest, to say nothing of just how close to the chest MU keeps things.

Comment

I put this rumour up there with the Asik one.

I'm sure MU called but I would be surprised if it was more than a facilitator..... after floating the Fields/Novak for Deng exchange of course.

Comment

Deng?

I don't see a thread for this but I'm hearing we're interested in Deng via NBA Legion on twitter. Apparently they're asking for a 1st rounder and a young prospect in return.

Im pro tank. But i love Dengs game and everything he brings and that would make us a very good team just being some development time and a good point guard away from being near contention (my opinion only.) Deng would be great in soooo many ways for this team. Defense, shoots the three, team player, would be a great leader, if Thibs loves him then Casey would be on his d**k.

I would be ok giving up one of our picks in say 2016 where we already have another pick (NY via Bargs,) and where I'm sure Masai sees us being in contention. Don't think Masai is stupid like BC when he does trade picks. As for the young prospect i can't think of anyone they would want besides Ross (obviously JV aint going no where for this deal.)

Personally i don't think i would trade ross and a first for Deng i just don't think it would be worth it especially long term. If i saw a clear way that we were going to acquire a legitimate PG that could take us somewhere (Smart, Exum, Lavine via draft or an all-star level PG in NBA somehow,) i think it would work and be a great deal. I don't think we're there yet unless Masai has a way of acquiring a player like that.

Thoughts on acquiring Deng?

Comment

Working...
                              X