No announcement yet.

Pacers@Raptors Game day thread: 1st game of 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a hard time giving an opinion on the best way to develop. I've said it before. They do testing on these guys...I'm sure somoene in player development has figured out that Player A plays best on a short string, otherwise he makes mistakes A, B, and C. While player B does better playing through those things. While I like watching Rookies play, I'm not a sports psychologist or a professional coach. I really don't know what the best way is and I'm certain that the opposing strategies has worked out both ways.

Views from the fence,
    Thead
    For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• thead wrote: View Post
      I have a hard time giving an opinion on the best way to develop. I've said it before. They do testing on these guys...I'm sure somoene in player development has figured out that Player A plays best on a short string, otherwise he makes mistakes A, B, and C. While player B does better playing through those things. While I like watching Rookies play, I'm not a sports psychologist or a professional coach. I really don't know what the best way is and I'm certain that the opposing strategies has worked out both ways.

Views from the fence,
      Thead
      Well said

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Even going back to last year, all signs showed that when given consistent minutes, both Ross and Jonas played relatively well. I see very little reason to believe this is the direct result of a carefully monitored punishment/reward scheme implemented by the coaches.

Sometimes, the simplest answer makes the most sense. That is, these are 2 good ball players who needed minutes to show it.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
          Like I said, it's a possibility that the tough love approach is what helped both Jonas and Ross develop.

But isn't it also possible that Ross and Jonas would be farther along today if they were given a bigger opportunity in their rookie years? Should Portland have handcuffed Lillard? Detroit with Drummond?
          It's not gonna be the same for every young player.

Lillard was a three year college player, Portland might've felt he was ready to take over immediately, and he clearly was.

And you're lying about Drummond. He played less minutes than valanciunas did last year.

Comment

• Alright, alright. In Casey we trust. The man is a player development genius.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
              To sum up, I'm not happy with the way Ross and Jonas were handled last year (and the first 20 games this year). There isn't anything you can say that will change my mind.
              I agree. It is the same story with Ed Davis and to a lesser extent Bayless. I am not a fan of how Casey handles his young guys, he is to erratic with his accountability benching. You don't want to just give players PT, or the end up developing bad habits like AB and DD (bad shot selection).

Comment

• Craig wrote: View Post
                What you're seeing here is what you get when you fall for the whole "win now" thing when you should have tanked hard. THIS is what ya get in the playoffs, and Toronto isn't even close to competitive against these guys when they turn up the effort.

bah.
                Indeed.

Comment

Working...
                X