Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So...Is Casey a Good Coach or a Bad Coach?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The real question is can Dwane Casey be a head coach on a team that wins an NBA championship, if he can I say we keep him, if he cannot I say dump him and find one the is able
    "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post

Here we go again....MU tread carefully.

Comment

Really happy for Casey the man, questioning his coaching less these days, which is a good thing. Still unsure of the latter though.

Comment

The impression I get from Casey is that he is a hard working coach who never gets too high or too low & manages to get his team to compete almost every night. Very rare do we see his teams get blown out on the road.

My issue with him is the way he manages egos. I'm not sure he has the balls to call out star players. Our current squad boasts a starless roster with minimal egos - which is why the team has fully bought in to his system.

When we take that next step into contention by adding a star, I'm not sure Casey is the answer. But we've seen time and again that with selfless players, Casey manages to coach well.
          “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

-- Charles Barkley

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
            It's Sam Mitchell all over again!

I wonder who Casey will body slam in the locker room. Austin Daye?
            such a classic

Comment

Nothing is holding Casey back anymore. He finally has a set rotation, one that he's never had since he first arrived. He's also not tied down into making anyone a superstar, or anyone be that guy.

Still not a big time supporter of Casey, but he definitely deserves his credit.
              Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

I like him.

i think he's had a very hard job in Toronto so far, and he's dealt with it like a pro.

Its funny, so many criticized his playcalling skills, his offence, yet it seems ot be pretty good when the player actually play good honest ball.

I like what I see lately. He's a big part of that.

Comment

bad coach. a few good games doesn't erase all the bonehead moves he's made over the time he's been the raps head coach.

Comment

I still maintain the possibility of keeping Casey as an assistant if MU decides to bring in another head coach. If a big name coach is available, why not see if Casey is willing to stay on as an assistant to run the defence?

Comment

JawsGT wrote: View Post
                      I still maintain the possibility of keeping Casey as an assistant if MU decides to bring in another head coach. If a big name coach is available, why not see if Casey is willing to stay on as an assistant to run the defence?
                      I'd be ok with that. There's no denying the impact Casey's had on the defensive side of the ball.

But in the land of egos, does Casey accept a demotion? Ujiri would have to tread lightly.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                        I'd be ok with that. There's no denying the impact Casey's had on the defensive side of the ball.

But in the land of egos, does Casey accept a demotion? Ujiri would have to tread lightly.
                        Well that's definitely the key there, would Casey want that position after being the head coach for the past 3 seasons. Honestly, it seems unlikely, but unless another offer is on the table, he may very well accept the job.

Comment

Coach Casey's resume:

- Coached a Toronto Raptors team which was consistently dead last in defensive rankings to top 10 and climbing
                          - Championship ring with Dallas, where he was given credit from yet another top 10 defense that is the only team to beat the Miami heat in a 7 game series

I think those two points alone are enough to get him another shot at being a head coach should Toronto let him go. Lot's of bad defensive teams would love to have a guy like Casey.

Comment

I don't think that is a possibility. Things just don't work that way.

Look at Colangelo's brief demotion. It didn't last long.

You can't have the guy making the final decision giving his .02 to then be dismissed by the new guy making the decisions. It just doesn't work that way. Then there are the loyalties of the players and perceived undermining. Ugh. It would be a clusterf*ck in my opinion.

I agree with the theory. Ideally when Casey was hired, Triano should have been retained for offense. Things just don't work that way.

Comment

Well that's definitely the key there, would Casey want that position after being the head coach for the past 3 seasons. Honestly, it seems unlikely, but unless another offer is on the table, he may very well accept the job.
                              Maybe we can convince Carlisle to come to Toronto, and reunite him with his championship assistant coach.

Comment

I don't think that is a possibility. Things just don't work that way.

Look at Colangelo's brief demotion. It didn't last long.

You can't have the guy making the final decision giving his .02 to then be dismissed by the new guy making the decisions. It just doesn't work that way. Then there are the loyalties of the players and perceived undermining. Ugh. It would be a clusterf*ck in my opinion.

I agree with the theory. Ideally when Casey was hired, Triano should have been retained for offense. Things just don't work that way.
                                Yeah, it does seem like a potential clusterf*ck. It's going to be interesting to see what the Raps start with next season, in terms of coaching, Lowry, and the draft etc. Everything is just up in the air right now. I guess in the meantime I should be satisfied to just enjoy the basketball.

But...I never really had much respect for Casey until the Rudy trade, and I'm finding it hard to convince myself that just one guy like that could have such a net negative impact on how the team played ball. Is it really possible that the coaching staff were preaching the same stuff with Rudy than they are without, and it was just a matter of Rudy's ego saying no, I think we'll do it my way. Seems ludicrous, but if that is the case then maybe Casey isn't so bad and just needed the right type of players around him. Maybe Rudy was sabotaging the team so that he would be traded, it seems more and more likely to me that he just didn't want to be here.

In any event, he seems to be doing a good job lately so hopefully he keeps it up!!

Comment

Working...
                                X