Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will another star make this team is legitimate contender for East ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
    There is no way Indiana will do that trade, they take on way to much guaranteed contract money for at least 3 years (also Fields will be an 8.5mil cap hit if traded due to PPP)
    There is no way both teams make the trade haha
    "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

Glad to see Granger getting back to being his old self, but I would still never give Ross away for him. He's 30 now.
      Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

I don't like the trade.

Furthermore, the answer is no.
        The amount of cumulative playoff experience on this squad is miniscule.
        Becoming a contender takes time.
        More and more, I think Indiana is Masai's blueprint for this team, and I think their past few years give a good outline of how long it really takes a team to develop into a true contender.
        It's a different monster.
        This team is playing good tough basketball, but I really would not expect them to fare well against an elite team in a best of 7.
        That's not a knock on the team, it's just a reality of the process.

Furthermore, what's the rush?
        Why mortgage the future when every player on the team is young and improving?
        That's the question you really need to ask yourself.

We haven't paid our dues yet.
        We have a few more tiers to climb before are contenders, and we need more than 1 piece to leapfrog that process.

Comment

Nosike wrote: View Post
          No no no no no

We are not beating Indiana or Miami in the playoffs this year unless we acquire an actual superstar this year. So mortgaging our future by trading young talent and/or picks for zbo doesn't change this team's peak at all (2nd round).
          Agree - let's not get ahead of ourselves with two weeks of good play. Do we really expect Val, Ross, and even DD or Amir to lead us to a round 1 playoff victory when they have ZERO playoff experience??? If anything, we'll be fortunate to advance to the second round if we make the playoffs - remember, a key injury or injuries to Kyle and/or Amir (OR BOTH) and we're going to be tooth and nail to make it, even in the troubled East - a lot can change in a few weeks.

I'm enjoying the current ride for what it is....very good basketball and good growth in our current teams nucleus.

Wonder how many people will change their tune when the Raps hit a 3 game losing streak?? It's gonna happen as it does to every team so let's all chill and be glad we have some decent basketball to watch for a change.

Peace out....

Comment

JohnnyBoy wrote: View Post
            Agree - let's not get ahead of ourselves with two weeks of good play. Do we really expect Val, Ross, and even DD or Amir to lead us to a round 1 playoff victory when they have ZERO playoff experience??? If anything, we'll be fortunate to advance to the second round if we make the playoffs - remember, a key injury or injuries to Kyle and/or Amir (OR BOTH) and we're going to be tooth and nail to make it, even in the troubled East - a lot can change in a few weeks.

I'm enjoying the current ride for what it is....very good basketball and good growth in our current teams nucleus.

Wonder how many people will change their tune when the Raps hit a 3 game losing streak?? It's gonna happen as it does to every team so let's all chill and be glad we have some decent basketball to watch for a change.

Peace out....
            This. Ride out the season, make smart deals with the FUTURE in mind if they're available, make out like bandits in the draft, no big contracts to small time players in free agency.

Comment

I think Gasol would be a waste. If you are going to improve this team do it with young talent. I would give draft picks away for Harrison Barnes and Monroe. If you make these types of moves, at least you are mortgaging the future. Monroe can be signed this upcoming offseason and And I think a package can be put together for Barnes. I would't move DeMar, Ross, Lowry, JV or Amir, but anything else can go, including draft picks.

2016 first rounder, and Patterson for Barnes? I'm not sure what will get Monroe

JV/Monroe/Hayes
              Amir/Monroe/Hansbrough
              Demar/Barnes/Fields
              Ross/Barnes/Salmons
              Lowry/Vasquez

IMO, that's the kind of moves we have to make (that's a sweet 8 man rotation [minus the guys in the 3rd columns]). Maybe not necessarily those particular moves, but similar ones. This team has a chance to be a contender (probably not this year).
              Last edited by saints91; Thu Jan 2, 2014, 06:42 PM.

Comment

Peace out....
                You take that rational, level-headed, even-keeled post and get out of here, mister.

*sarcasm.

BTW - welcome and nice first post.

Comment

Do we really expect Val, Ross, and even DD or Amir to lead us to a round 1 playoff victory when they have ZERO playoff experience???
                  Yes I do. Look at who is their competition in East ... CHA !!! Chicago without Rose !!! Washington !!! or maybe Boston !!!
                  East is Weak this year. Many teams are suffering from ton of injuries. Many teams are tanking and ... We are the best 3rd team in East and even ESPN is saying that now. We can get passed first round at ease.

Comment

photoman wrote: View Post
                    Isn't that what Drake was hired to do?

But in all seriousness, if the Raps get into this and next year's playoffs... I'd want MU/LW/Drake to go after Durant during 2016 Free Agency.
                    Yes Yes Yes Yes....Yes, that is the pathway.

Comment

• photoman wrote: View Post
                      Isn't that what Drake was hired to do?

But in all seriousness, if the Raps get into this and next year's playoffs... I'd want MU/LW/Drake to go after Durant during 2016 Free Agency.
                      The only way a top free agent like Durant will come to Toronto is if we make the conference finals at least once in the next 2 years. If we want to get these stars, we have to show them that we are READY to compete and not n the rebuild stage anymore.

Comment

• Need to draft well in the 2014 draft...grab a sleeper.

Need to pick up some good FA's in the off-season to replace Buycks, Stone, Daye...like maybe Devin Harris, Marshon Brooks and Jae Crowder. (Now there's a bench)

Need to magically package Fields with Novak to a team that's playoff bound, and starving for 3 point shooting. (unlikely, but in Masai we trust) ...get back a 2nd legitimate veteran presence who has some gas left but don't mind riding the pine.

Keep JV, DD, KL, AJ, TR, PP, GV, JS, TH.

Then, in 2016 go heavy into the luxury tax and sign KD.

My God, am I excited.

Comment

• Pele wrote: View Post
                          Need to draft well in the 2014 draft...grab a sleeper.

Need to pick up some good FA's in the off-season to replace Buycks, Stone, Daye...like maybe Devin Harris, Marshon Brooks and Jae Crowder. (Now there's a bench)

Need to magically package Fields with Novak to a team that's playoff bound, and starving for 3 point shooting. (unlikely, but in Masai we trust) ...get back a 2nd legitimate veteran presence who has some gas left but don't mind riding the pine.

Keep JV, DD, KL, AJ, TR, PP, GV, JS, TH.

Then, in 2016 go heavy into the luxury tax and sign KD.

My God, am I excited.
                          Take it easy Big Fella.

Comment

• Jamshid wrote: View Post
                            The only way a top free agent like Durant will come to Toronto is if we make the conference finals at least once in the next 2 years. If we want to get these stars, we have to show them that we are READY to compete and not n the rebuild stage anymore.
                            Dude, free agents go where they please. Miami (a pretty impossible case to repeat) was coming off mediocre-to-dreadful years before signing their big 3. NY had nothing going for it to attract Amar'e or Melo. Chicago got Boozer (not the kind of target I want) after 2 .500 seasons in a row.

Stars want to go where they feel wanted and needed (where they feel they'll make a difference). On top of random preference which usually favors bigger markets and/or warmer cities. If Toronto has a young nucleus that has playoff experience, a guy who views himself as the missing piece may find it appealing...especially if Jonas is a stud C, and we have some decent pieces already in place around him.

I think KD coming to Toronto is highly unlikely, but not impossible, and definitely not dependent on us making a conference finals.

Comment

• @Pele: quick note, you CANNOT go "into the luxury tax" to sign someone who is NOT already on your team. If you are over the cap, you can only trade for a highly paid players.

I haven't gone through every page here, but I disagree with the focus on getting aging stars (based on the first few pages). If anything, I'd package DD (or Ross), our 2014 pick, plus as many as 2 more of our future picks, to get Andrew Wiggins.

THAT I would do, and here is why: the core of DD/Ross (whichever isn't dealt) and JV is still improving, and obviously Wiggins would also be improving for many years. If we're already looking like a playoff team this year, then I'm willing to sacrifice some mediocre draft picks and one of our young players (DD, ideally, because I think Ross can be more efficient) for a future superstar.

A core of Wiggins, JV, and Ross, surrounded by quality vets like Amir and Lowry, would get me VERY excited about the future. And I really do think that core could compete.

Comment

• Thanks for the correction.

I agree about sticking with younger players, sprinkled with a couple good vets.

BTW, It's not perfect, but I'm liking Patterson's game.

Comment

Working...
                                X