Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will another star make this team is legitimate contender for East ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Puffer wrote: View Post
    The one expendable player on the team right now (and I mean expendable in the sense that you are giving something up to get back something better) and the "weak" link is DeMar. He is still not efficient. His defense is still average to below average. He DOES attract double teams, and he DOES score.

So if you trade him you need to get those qualities back in the trade, just with increased efficiency, and better D. You are only going to get that if you give something up. The future draft picks that Masai has already accumulated, along with one of the Raps own future picks is what I am thinking.

Getting back a player who is just a bit better than DeMar could have a big impact on this team's ability to win. Someone who consistently shoots 46-47% from the field, 36-40% from 3, picks up 5-6 rebounds a game and can play better D would be enough, I think. Maybe a player who is 27-28 on a team that is tanking or rebuilding and is looking for picks and an athletic player. I have no suggestions as to who that might be.

That kind of an upgrade at the SG spot would help carry the current team into a solid second round run and maybe to the ECF's.
    Just ran a basic Basketball-reference query and came up with the following names (there are others but excluded the PF's):

Durant, James, George, Parsons, Batum, Young and James Johnson

Thaddeous Young might be the only guy available. He was unhappy in Philly. And Philly is tanking. Could probably get him without having to trade DeMar.

Comment

I was just re-thinking about the question the original topic starter asks and although it's VERY unlikely if we could get Kevin Durant on this current team we would a legitimate contender to win it all, as you'd have a really balanced team and a situation where Derozan basically becomes Westbrook.

It's obviously a pipe dream but I think we have a very similar makeup to OKC currently, but we lack that one world class player (which is the hardest piece of the NBA championship puzzle).

Comment

Letter N wrote: View Post
        I was just re-thinking about the question the original topic starter asks and although it's VERY unlikely if we could get Kevin Durant on this current team we would a legitimate contender to win it all, as you'd have a really balanced team and a situation where Derozan basically becomes Westbrook.

It's obviously a pipe dream but I think we have a very similar makeup to OKC currently, but we lack that one world class player (which is the hardest piece of the NBA championship puzzle).
        This is the absolute best case scenario, and yes like you said

Lowry/derozan/Durant/Amir/valanciunas

With

Vasquez/Ross/hansbriugh and whoever else off the bench is a title contender.

Comment

Man looking at that lineup it has everything you need. Great two way pg that doesn't need the ball to be effective, and is a very willing passer. Slashing shooting guard, ideal second option with the ability to supplement the lead guy with 20 points or so. Elite scoring, hyper efficient sf with unlimited range to help keep lanes open for slashing sg and bigs. Elite defensive power forward who doesn't miss around the rim and has range out to the corner three. Double double machine at centre who is only going to get better.

The problem is getting Durant (or someone like him).

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
            You keep saying this like it's a foregone conclusion that our pick will yield an unusable player. I know you don't honestly think that. Do we really need to compile a list of great players to come out of the mid-to-late first round?
            Ujiri and Weltman are bosses mid to late first round.

Comment

Nosike wrote: View Post
              Man looking at that lineup it has everything you need. Great two way pg that doesn't need the ball to be effective, and is a very willing passer. Slashing shooting guard, ideal second option with the ability to supplement the lead guy with 20 points or so. Elite scoring, hyper efficient sf with unlimited range to help keep lanes open for slashing sg and bigs. Elite defensive power forward who doesn't miss around the rim and has range out to the corner three. Double double machine at centre who is only going to get better.

Tank nation was gonna have that covered until the team starting winning lol
              You come at the King, you best not miss.

Comment

Nosike wrote: View Post

Isn't that what Drake was hired to do?

But in all seriousness, if the Raps get into this and next year's playoffs... I'd want MU/LW/Drake to go after Durant during 2016 Free Agency.

Comment

This would be a Colangelo move. Trading multiple Future Assets for a chance to win for ONE year.
                  Not interested in the OP move at all.

Comment

I just wanna tell our coach doesn't have enough reputation yet to control an allstar. The recent success tell us we need to keep the ball moving, instead thru the ball to your highest pay player and stop the ball movement.

Second, even we try to get a big guy, he should has a quick legs and willing to share the ball to others.

Third, I could see Casey trust Amir more than JV, very possible he will bench JV after we got a star PF or C

Comment

Last thing we should try is add a "star" mid season. Give Tross/DD/JV a chance to mature one more season, try and resign Lowry- get our bench(consisting largely of expirings & RFAs) back if the value is fair, and draft a mid first rounder.

After that-see whats available in the off season but do not give up assets for one.

That said-rereading the question- can't think of what piece would push this team over the edge beyond a allstar PF(with Amir being 6th man)

Comment

Star sf or Pf could push us to contender status.

That is not zbo, that is not pau gasol, or any other bc type acquisition.

Love and Aldridge are free agents next year. Durant is a free agent in 2016. Aside from that there are guys who are going to need extensions who their teams might not be able to afford to pay. We could also get lucky and acquire that star through the draft.

Comment

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=lbnldvs

Comment

Granger is now a good bench player not a go to #1 option
                            "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

No no no no

Comment

There is no way Indiana will do that trade, they take on way to much guaranteed contract money for at least 3 years (also Fields will be an 8.5mil cap hit if traded due to PPP)

Comment

Working...
                                X