Eddie Johnson of Hoopshype Ranks top 5 SGs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Craig wrote: View Post
    Kobe is almost dead and can't walk. You aren't rating guys on what they did in the past, and so add Manu into this pile. Thompson can shoot, but he doesn't do the other things DD does. Crawford isn't as good as DD and he is a bastard in the room apparently, he's also a black hole. Monta ellis can score, but he doesn't defend, doesn't pass, isn't durable, now liked a whole lot... he's Monta Ellis.

1. stephenson
    2. harden
    3. wade
    4. afflalo
    5. Derozan
    6. thompson
    7. Manu

after that I don't care.
    Are you saying the best SG in the NBA is Stephenson who's the number 3/4 option offensivel, especially when Paul George usually gets the best player on the other team (since I assume your argument includes his great defence). No way, except in triple doubles.

I still put Kobe, Harden, Wade, Ellis, and Afflalo above DeMar. Possibly Thompson/Stephenson as well, and Beal will get up there very soon.

Comment

isaacthompson wrote: View Post
      I definitely would not put Wade over Harden.
      I put Wade #2 overall.

But when healthy, Wade is a better player than Harden. Defense counts too, not just for DD.

Comment

Oh ya, total hack, former NBA player, lived his life either playing or watching the game.... what the hell would he know.

Surely not as much as some kid from Northern Canada.

hahaha. Awesome
        Have you read or watched half the stuff he publishes on HH?
        http://hoopshype.com/videos/johnson/...t-howard-alone
        Let Dwight Howard Alone?

http://hoopshype.com/videos/johnson/...t-point-guards
        He lists Lebron James as one of his Top Five Smartest point guards.. he's a constant Lebron nut hugger

He disrespects everyone that doesn't back up his articles in the comments section.

Comment

Nosike wrote: View Post
          I put Wade #2 overall.

But when healthy, Wade is a better player than Harden. Defense counts too, not just for DD.
          lol, funny that. So much talk of "1 dimension" with DeMar (far from the case anymore), particularly focused on his defense, yet same people are all over Harden and Thompson, neither of which is a good defender at all. Harden is great on the offensive end, no question, but he seriously lacks at the other end. Thompson,,,,, I just don't understand the love affair. He's an excellent 3 pt shooter, and that's all.

Comment

p00ka wrote: View Post
            lol, funny that. So much talk of "1 dimension" with DeMar (far from the case anymore), particularly focused on his defense, yet same people are all over Harden and Thompson, neither of which is a good defender at all. Harden is great on the offensive end, no question, but he seriously lacks at the other end. Thompson,,,,, I just don't understand the love affair. He's an excellent 3 pt shooter, and that's all.
            the critics will be far more forgiving if Demar was an elite scorer and ball-handler like harden.

Comment

draftedraptor wrote: View Post
              the critics will be far more forgiving if Demar was an elite scorer and ball-handler like harden.
              DeRozan doesn't have a max contract, or anywhere near it for that matter. Harden is making double what DeRozan is over the next 4 years.

Harden is a superstar, DeRozan is not.

Comment

DeRozan doesn't have a max contract, or anywhere near it for that matter. Harden is making double what DeRozan is over the next 4 years.

Harden is a superstar, DeRozan is not.
                I'm not disputing any of that/ I was only pointing out that harden can get away with murder because he is a superstar on the offense.

Comment

draftedraptor wrote: View Post
                  Exactly.

Thompson is an elite shooter and very good defense.

DeRozan is still an average scorer any way you slice it.

Comment

I definitely would not put Wade over Harden.
                    Nosike answered why I think Wade is better than Harden.

I put Wade #2 overall.

Kobe is almost dead and can't walk. You aren't rating guys on what they did in the past, and so add Manu into this pile. Thompson can shoot, but he doesn't do the other things DD does. Crawford isn't as good as DD and he is a bastard in the room apparently, he's also a black hole. Monta ellis can score, but he doesn't defend, doesn't pass, isn't durable, now liked a whole lot... he's Monta Ellis.
                    Kobe is still Kobe, if healthy he is the best pure scorer in the world. He also defends really well and -can- create for his teammates. He is a player that can do it all.

Manu Ginobli is putting up a great season so far, he is playing at 07-09 level Ginobli. He is also a player that does everything. I was tempted to have him in my top 5 because he is just that good, but he doesn't put up monster numbers so I dropped him a bit.

DD is a scorer, Crawford is a scorer. Which is better at doing so? Definitely Crawford. Now factor in that Crawford can also create for himself, others. Therefor is better.

Again, DD is a 1-D scorer, Monta is a scorer who is better at scoring than DD. He also can run an offense (and believe it or not he does pass, he is averaging 6 assists a game). Therefor I ranked him above DD.

You may be right about Thompson. Although his defense isn't as bad as people think. but I put him that high up because he is truly elite at shooting. There are holes in his game yes, but since he is soooo elite at one thing I bumped him up a bit.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                      Thompson is an elite shooter and very good defense.

DeRozan is still an average scorer any way you slice it.
                      I don't know where people get that he isn't good defensively. I watch as many GSW games I can and he is always guarding the other teams best players and is very good at navigating around screens. I think there is a stigma that if you are an elite shooter you are therefor a bad defender

Comment

http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm (video at the top of the page)

1.) James Harden
                        2.) Dwyane Wade
                        3.) Klay Thompson
                        4.) Bradley Beal
                        5.) DeMar DeRozan

Thoughts?

I agree, except I'd swap Afflalo for Beal, then switch spots with Klay.
                        Bradley Beal #4? Yuck. Have we not learned anything from the 24/7 explosion of analytics?? Beal has much less than league average PER (13.7) and horrible ORTG (99). Inefficient chucker - plain & simple. Beal is Rudy Gay of the backcourt and it's no coincidence that the Wiz started turning their season around as soon as he got hurt.

Is SG position at an all-time low or what?

Comment

golden wrote: View Post
                          Bradley Beal #4? Yuck. Have we not learned anything from the 24/7 explosion of analytics?? Less than league average PER (13.7) and horrible ORTG (99). Inefficient chucker - plain & simple. Beal is Rudy Gay of the backcourt.

Is SG position at an all-time low or what?
                          yeah that's why I took Beal out of my list. He sucks. A lot of people on this forum prefer him to DeRozan for no reason whatsoever, besides the fact that he's not DeRozan.

Ross is 10X better than him at this point.

As a pro-tanker, Washington is actually an argument against tanking. I mean they got the #1 with Wall, took the consensus #1 pick and he's just an all-star, not a franchise changer. They got the #6, and took Vesely (who everyone thought was BPA btw, hindsight is 20/20), and he's a bust. Then they got the #3, took Beal, who many said should've gone 2nd and he's not anything special either.

That's not even poor management, it's just bad luck. One of the dangers of the tank. I'm sure everyone here would be miffed if we'd sent out Lowry and DeRozan for mid-late 1sts (like many tankers wanted to do in the offseason), and then ended up with a Jan Vesely or a mediocre prospect like Beal.
                          Last edited by Masai Ujiri; Sat Jan 4, 2014, 07:06 PM.

Comment

I put Wade #2 overall.

Umm. Wade isn't exactly an All-NBA defender either.
                            Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

Umm. Wade isn't exactly an All-NBA defender either.
                              Wade is an excellent defender. He plays great defense one on one, and he's also incredibly disruptive. Generates a ton of steals and also gets more weakside blocks than probably any other guard in NBA history.

Defense is one of the most underrated parts of his game.

Comment

no, but he's an all NBA championship on his back guy..... so there's that

Comment

Working...
                                X