Can't think of a superstar that fits better than Kevin Love

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't think of a superstar that fits better than Kevin Love

- Elite passer and unselfish player, fits in will with the new ball-movement mantra that this team has.
    - Tenacious rebounder especially on the offensive glass, which is an area the Raptors have excelled in recently
    - Has deep three point range, can stretch the floor, which is going to give Jonas a ton of room on the block as well as leave driving lanes open for DeMar.
    - One of the best overall scorers in the league (2nd in the NBA atm with TS% just under 60).
    - 25 years old, only a year older than DeRozan, would fit right into this core in terms of youth. Hasn't necessarily peaked yet.

The only real knock on him is on the defensive end, and I think getting him and losing Amir or moving Amir to the bench would probably hurt us defensively a bit. But if Jonas can mature as an anchor, I don't see it being a huge concern. This would also give us an extremely potent and consistent offence and allow DeRozan to assume a proper role of 2nd option that's more suitable to his talent level and skillset.

The problem is I have no clue how we get him, especially if the Lakers have cap space in 2015. I think it's pretty clear he's going to want out of Minnesota though, with them consistently missing the playoffs and also not really being a big market at all. Maybe we could acquire him via trade. If Minnesota is looking to rebuild in a Love deal, we do have a lot of picks and expiring contracts we could potentially use to acquire him.

Lowry/Ross/DeRozan/Love/Valanciunas would be so, so, so good.

He'd be nice, thats for sure.

Comment

Craig wrote: View Post
      He'd be nice, thats for sure.
      Could also set us up to make a run at the other Kevin in 2016... especially with them being USA teammates.

Like I said, it'd be very difficult to get our hands on Love though. But if we have the trade assets, nothing is impossible. I don't see us being able to sign him outright though.

Comment

As a trade I don't see any scenario where Love comes and JV doesn't leave plus a fair bit more (Amir or Ross)

Comment

Unless of course Love wants to be here. Toronto is winning now, if they keep winning....and with the youth of the teams significant players.... he may decide its the place to be.

Not everyone wants to play with Kobe....especially old broken Kobe.

Comment

Unless of course Love wants to be here. Toronto is winning now, if they keep winning....and with the youth of the teams significant players.... he may decide its the place to be.

Not everyone wants to play with Kobe....especially old broken Kobe.
            This. If this team can keep up what they are doing, it may be a very attractive destination for a guy like Love, especially when compared to a rebuilding Lakers squad. That being said, the Lakers probably have the ability to 'rebuild' in two offseasons.

Comment

The NBA has shown they can rebuild LA in under 3 months.

They have the technology

Comment

Letter N wrote: View Post
                As a trade I don't see any scenario where Love comes and JV doesn't leave plus a fair bit more (Amir or Ross)
                That's cool if you "don't see any scenario" but stranger things have happened.

Let's not forget that Houston was able to get Harden for KMart (expiring), Lamb and 2 1sts (with most of the other pieces being scraps). That's not much different than a trade of Amir + Prospect + Multiple 1sts. Not saying Minnesota would necessarily do that, but no need putting limitations and restrictions on what it might take to acquire Love.

Comment

The NBA has shown they can rebuild LA in under 3 months.

They have the technology
                  Or not, like blocking the Chris Paul trade lol

Comment

JawsGT wrote: View Post
                    Or not, like blocking the Chris Paul trade lol
                    They actually screwed the Lakers over pretty hard with that. But there was nothing unfair about it considering the league was running the Pelicans (then Hornets) at the time. It was a pretty shitty trade, iirc the Hornets were getting like Kmart, Odom, Scola and Dragic, who were all solid players but not guys you want to rebuild with.

The trade they ended up making was a lot better because they got Gordon and another 1st (which they "wasted" on Rivers), and it also allowed them to go into full rebuild mode and get The Brow.

Comment

wel that fucked with another NBA mandate, they had to slap a few hands there hahaha

Comment

Nosike wrote: View Post
                        They actually screwed the Lakers over pretty hard with that. But there was nothing unfair about it considering the league was running the Pelicans (then Hornets) at the time. It was a pretty shitty trade, iirc the Hornets were getting like Kmart, Odom, Scola and Dragic, who were all solid players but not guys you want to rebuild with.

The trade they ended up making was a lot better because they got Gordon and another 1st (which they "wasted" on Rivers), and it also allowed them to go into full rebuild mode and get The Brow.
                        I'm glad they did it, f*#k the Lakers!!

Comment

JawsGT wrote: View Post
                          I'm glad they did it, f*#k the Lakers!!
                          I agree.

The team that actually benefitted the most from the CP3 blocked trade was Houston though, because they basically moved all the assets that they would have moved for Harden for Pau Gasol.

Comment

- Elite passer and unselfish player, fits in will with the new ball-movement mantra that this team has.
                            - Tenacious rebounder especially on the offensive glass, which is an area the Raptors have excelled in recently
                            - Has deep three point range, can stretch the floor, which is going to give Jonas a ton of room on the block as well as leave driving lanes open for DeMar.
                            - One of the best overall scorers in the league (2nd in the NBA atm with TS% just under 60).
                            - 25 years old, only a year older than DeRozan, would fit right into this core in terms of youth. Hasn't necessarily peaked yet.

The only real knock on him is on the defensive end, and I think getting him and losing Amir or moving Amir to the bench would probably hurt us defensively a bit. But if Jonas can mature as an anchor, I don't see it being a huge concern. This would also give us an extremely potent and consistent offence and allow DeRozan to assume a proper role of 2nd option that's more suitable to his talent level and skillset.

The problem is I have no clue how we get him, especially if the Lakers have cap space in 2015. I think it's pretty clear he's going to want out of Minnesota though, with them consistently missing the playoffs and also not really being a big market at all. Maybe we could acquire him via trade. If Minnesota is looking to rebuild in a Love deal, we do have a lot of picks and expiring contracts we could potentially use to acquire him.

Lowry/Ross/DeRozan/Love/Valanciunas would be so, so, so good.
                            -Can't play D
                            -Doesn't seem to really elevate his teams

You'll end up investing a max contract in him without knowing if he really is the guy to help get the team to the next level as he's never even been able to carry his Minnesota teams to the playoffs. And it's not like they've lacked talent.

I don't know, I used to be all for going after Love thinking he'll fit, but watching his team struggle yet another year, I'm not too sold on him. I obviously wouldn't be pissed if we get him, but I'm skeptical of the overall results.

Comment

Could also set us up to make a run at the other Kevin in 2016... especially with them being USA teammates.

Like I said, it'd be very difficult to get our hands on Love though. But if we have the trade assets, nothing is impossible. I don't see us being able to sign him outright though.
                              Durant is actually the guy I see fitting in the best.

-It would allow us to keep Amir or another glue-type at PF next to Jonas, therefore not crowding the post or taking touches away from him as he grows as an offensive player. This also lets us maintain a defence-first approach down low.

-It would give us a long, solid 2-way franchise player, who can be a knock-down 3 pt shooter, a go-to guy, and a small ball PF when the need arises, and can defend the SF position quite well.

-He's an unselfish player and one of the elite character guys in the league, with his intangibles arguably just as good as his tangibles and only behind LeBron.

-Has proven that he elevates his team/teammates. He gets results from the way he plays, and everyone around him responds. ->This to me is what separates a guy a superstar, not numbers. It's the rarest quality to find in an elite player.

If it's not Durant, we need a guy who presents similar qualities, especially on that last one. There's nothing worse than investing in a "superstar" who has little-to-no impact on your overall ceiling as a team. Minnesota's having their best season with Love around....and they're one game under .500. So I'm really not sold on him there.

Comment

Working...
                              X