Why Lowry Will Remain a Raptor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Lowry Will Remain a Raptor

After winning ten of thirteen games since their recent roster overhaul, including riding a five game winning streak, Toronto can put all the tank talk to bed. With it, should go all the media chatter about whether Kyle Lowry will remain with the Raptors.

Before you stand up to shake your fists at the ludicrous idea of retaining a hard-nosed, blue-collar, work horse of a talent entering his prime. Please, relax and pour yourself a drink before that vein above your left eye ruptures. I understand the concern, you think he’s going to leave town at season’s end, or the Raptors are going to end up paying him too much to keep him.

I’ve been watching from day one just like you, but make no mistake this is no Bosh or McGrady situation. Bosh, Wade and James had a plan, put it together and have two championships because of it. McGrady couldn’t stand in cousin Vince’s shadow and bolted to Orlando the second he could- a decision he openly regrets.

The difference for Lowry is that Toronto is a place he belongs. He’s put up 11+ assists in 4 of his last 5, is currently fifth in the league in assist to TO ratio, and is doing all the right things to help his team win which right now they are doing in spades. Pair that with his blue-collar work ethic, and the grit and fearlessness that sum up his game and you have the embodiment of what Toronto fans expect from their professional athletes.

For those out there that bring up the contract year argument, it’s a poorly thought out stance. Lowry isn’t padding his individual stats to inflate his value a la Mike James. He’s playing within Dwane Casey’s system, he’s hitting timely threes, he takes charges from anyone and he puts his teammates in situations where they will succeed. Despite a small sample, the result is irrefutable and Kyle Lowry is a huge reason the Raptors plus .500 right now.

The big knock on Lowry’s game was his tendency to gamble for steals and move out of position to grab rebounds that turn into easy baskets for the opponents. At first glance certainly it’s a negative aspect of his game, but really a testament to his competitiveness. With the Raptors having developed a sense of trust with each other, Lowry has moved away from the sketchy plays and trusts his teammates to grab the defensive rebound and find him on the outlet instead of trying to do it all on his own.

Kyle also brings something intangible to this team that is a quintessential component to every successful club in the NBA, an identity. It’s grit, it’s diving on the floor, it’s winning 50/50 battles and it’s a never give up attitude. It’s all the things that Lowry brings to the table that this team is starting to do, and because of it they’re winning games.
    I have no disillusions about the possibility of Lowry being moved. It’s a business, and if the right deal comes up Masai Ujiri will pull the trigger. But when it comes down to it, the Raptor’s GM won’t take a penny less in return for Lowry’s worth, a price few teams are willing or able to afford right now. So settle in Toronto, put all the Lowry trade talk to bed and get ready for the best NBA ball we’ve seen this side of the border in years.

There are maybe a few assumptions in your post.... mostly stemming from your belief that Lowry wants to be in Toronto. But that aside, you aren't wrong. He would be great here, he's grown up here, and he's excelling here. Sadly, I believe he will simply see this as his own improvement, and consider it a sign he is ready to lead a better team in the states someplace.

Comment

The gambling that Kyle used to do last year seems to have largely disappeared with the Gay trade. When he does make his steal attempts, he is rarely left out of position. His attempts appear more measured now.

Comment

Flipj wrote: View Post
        After winning ten of thirteen games since their recent roster overhaul, including riding a five game winning streak, Toronto can put all the tank talk to bed. With it, should go all the media chatter about whether Kyle Lowry will remain with the Raptors.

Before you stand up to shake your fists at the ludicrous idea of retaining a hard-nosed, blue-collar, work horse of a talent entering his prime. Please, relax and pour yourself a drink before that vein above your left eye ruptures. I understand the concern, you think he’s going to leave town at season’s end, or the Raptors are going to end up paying him too much to keep him.

I’ve been watching from day one just like you, but make no mistake this is no Bosh or McGrady situation. Bosh, Wade and James had a plan, put it together and have two championships because of it. McGrady couldn’t stand in cousin Vince’s shadow and bolted to Orlando the second he could- a decision he openly regrets.

The difference for Lowry is that Toronto is a place he belongs. He’s put up 11+ assists in 4 of his last 5, is currently fifth in the league in assist to TO ratio, and is doing all the right things to help his team win which right now they are doing in spades. Pair that with his blue-collar work ethic, and the grit and fearlessness that sum up his game and you have the embodiment of what Toronto fans expect from their professional athletes.

For those out there that bring up the contract year argument, it’s a poorly thought out stance. Lowry isn’t padding his individual stats to inflate his value a la Mike James. He’s playing within Dwane Casey’s system, he’s hitting timely threes, he takes charges from anyone and he puts his teammates in situations where they will succeed. Despite a small sample, the result is irrefutable and Kyle Lowry is a huge reason the Raptors plus .500 right now.

The big knock on Lowry’s game was his tendency to gamble for steals and move out of position to grab rebounds that turn into easy baskets for the opponents. At first glance certainly it’s a negative aspect of his game, but really a testament to his competitiveness. With the Raptors having developed a sense of trust with each other, Lowry has moved away from the sketchy plays and trusts his teammates to grab the defensive rebound and find him on the outlet instead of trying to do it all on his own.

Kyle also brings something intangible to this team that is a quintessential component to every successful club in the NBA, an identity. It’s grit, it’s diving on the floor, it’s winning 50/50 battles and it’s a never give up attitude. It’s all the things that Lowry brings to the table that this team is starting to do, and because of it they’re winning games.
        I have no disillusions about the possibility of Lowry being moved. It’s a business, and if the right deal comes up Masai Ujiri will pull the trigger. But when it comes down to it, the Raptor’s GM won’t take a penny less in return for Lowry’s worth, a price few teams are willing or able to afford right now. So settle in Toronto, put all the Lowry trade talk to bed and get ready for the best NBA ball we’ve seen this side of the border in years.
        Like Craig said, the bold is largely an assumption. For instance, if his play is not because of the contract year, why didn't he decide to play within Casey's system last year? He was given full reigns after Jose was traded, there's no real excuse for him not buying in before now.

His RECENT play may not be because of the contract year (i.e. Gay trade made the team significantly better, therefore essentially making it easier to play better), but that had to have been the initial thought process throughout the summer, and going into this season.
        Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

Lowry's contract year is worrisome of course, but another major issue for me anyway is his health. He has always had some type of problem with injuries in the past, and with his style of play I can only imagine that that would be an issue going forward. That I'm sure would be the fear from Toront's point of view.

From Lowry's point of view we had a franchise that gave him backup minutes last season, and was put in trade rumours throughout this year. Does he really like it here? Does he have faith in this organization to treat him and his family well? I don't know him personally but I'd have those questions if I was him.

Comment

Is this a joke? A few good games is a reason to discount years of mediocre play and hand out a horrible contract to get stuck with? Trade this backup guard now please.

Comment

Wiggins wrote: View Post
              Is this a joke? A few good games is a reason to discount years of mediocre play and hand out a horrible contract to get stuck with? Trade this backup guard now please.
              T to the ROLL...
              “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

It might not be leaving at the end of the season that is the problem but rather keeping him. If he starts getting offers from teams like LA Lakers, New York, etc. where they are offering 10+, Masai may not be able to match that and Lowry would have to take a significant pay cut on his market value. Also, Masai may be asking himself as well: Is he worth the money? Do I want to give this big a contract right now in the midst of a rebuild? Will Lowry have long-term or short term success?

I would love to see Lowry stay be cause he is in the midst of his prime, has great chemistry with the core, has great leadership qualities, and he brings a HELLUVA lot of hustle and effort every night.

Comment

Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
                  T to the ROLL...
                  lol. make this into a HOVA song.

i hope lowry stays but the original post saying it's just assumption he is having his best year in a contract year and coincidence is ignoring years of evidence. players play harder and through more when it's their year. we are talking millions upon millions of dollars here, to just say that is not a motivating factor is choosing to be blind.

i still expect a sign and trade deal in the summer, unless new york caves or golden state throws in barnes. as said in another thread he will be the premier pg this summer and money will be thrown at him, he won't stay here at par.

Comment

Maybe Billups' advice is kicking in? Just a thought lol

Comment

Flipj wrote: View Post

i dunno man - correct me if i am wrong. He will be THE cream of the crop of FA point guards this summer with BOTH the two largest market teams ( LA and NY) needing the services of such a player. My thoughts are that Kyle stays without being traded at the dead line, he will say all the right politically correct words about Toronto definitely in the mix moving forward into 2014/2015 (just as Nash did - his kids were not the reason why he didn't come to TO, he just needed to make an excuse without upsetting his countrymen) and ultimately he will leave here.

Comment

mjmc wrote: View Post
                        i dunno man - correct me if i am wrong. He will be THE cream of the crop of FA point guards this summer with BOTH the two largest market teams ( LA and NY) needing the services of such a player. My thoughts are that Kyle stays without being traded at the dead line, he will say all the right politically correct words about Toronto definitely in the mix moving forward into 2014/2015 (just as Nash did - his kids were not the reason why he didn't come to TO, he just needed to make an excuse without upsetting his countrymen) and ultimately he will leave here.
                        I think this is exactly what Masai will NOT let happen. if he can't get a deal worked out with Lowry, and his agent before the trade deadline, goodbye Lowry.

Comment

If toronto goes two rounds deep he aint leaving.

Comment

All i know is, they can't lose him for nothing.
                            Mamba Mentality

Comment

isaacthompson wrote: View Post
                              Like Craig said, the bold is largely an assumption. For instance, if his play is not because of the contract year, why didn't he decide to play within Casey's system last year? He was given full reigns after Jose was traded, there's no real excuse for him not buying in before now.

His RECENT play may not be because of the contract year (i.e. Gay trade made the team significantly better, therefore essentially making it easier to play better), but that had to have been the initial thought process throughout the summer, and going into this season.
                              Maybe he's just a stubborn bastard haha
                              You come at the King, you best not miss.

Comment

Working...
                              X