Casey not happy after loss to Heat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Casey not happy after loss to Heat

MIAMI— It says something about how far they’ve come over the last month that after losing a fair fight against the Heat, Raptors coach Dwane Casey was accentuating the negative.“We missed a lot of easy shots we should make. You shoot …” — and here he held the final stats sheet out in front of him like it had been dipped in something contagious — “… 57 per cent from the free throw line, you’re not going to beat too many people. I don’t care if it’s the Miami Heat or Miami-Dade High School.”Offered the chance to slip out the rhetorical back door when someone threw out the (quite reasonable) suggestion that it had been a “moral victory”, Casey screwed up his face like he’d been hit with a strong smell.“You don’t get any medals for losing.”When someone else brought up offensive rebounds, Casey interrupted him to say, “… to the 30th-ranked offensive rebounding team in the league.”For two-and-a-half years, we’ve seen Casey play out one of two post-game pantos: Raptors win — tepid praise; Raptors lose — tepid praise. More of the latter than the former; which is to say, more of the same.But this team is ready to see more of the whip
    "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

oh lawd.... "Miami-Dade High School"

Casey got a mouth on him.

Comment

Nosike wrote: View Post
      oh lawd.... "Miami-Dade High School"

Casey got a mouth on him.
      at least there's no more moral victories hahah
      "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

4hunnit_degreez wrote: View Post
        at least there's no more moral victories hahah
        I already cheer for the Dallas Cowboys, I don't have anymore time for "moral" victories. They don't mean shit. Thank gosh we have a competent GM. "In Masai I Fucking Trust"

Comment

You can watch the interview here btw http://www.nba.com/raptors/video/pla...apsheat_010514

Comment

I liked it. It was nice to see him being hard on his team, but also not single anyone out. The little things add up, especially in playoff type basketball. Can't afford a couple of missed layups/gimmies. Or shooting 20% below your normal team FT%. Or 3rd chance opportunities for the other team. The trick is getting that message through to the team without getting them to start overthinking everything they do.
            Last edited by white men can't jump; Mon Jan 6, 2014, 02:50 AM.

Comment

Best reaction I've seen from him after a loss OR win.

Comment

I think it was the right move by him. Since the Gay trade that Raptors have played at a consistently high level. The effort and hustle is now base standard, and to get to that next level you need hustle and execution.

FTR I don't think the raps can beat either indy or miami in a 7 game series, but if they can play at the level they are currently playing at they should at least win a game or two and make it competitive.
                "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

A coach is always going to say something, that's how he keeps control.

But everything he said was true, execution sucked particularly in the late fourth, and we missed free throws, which we shouldn't. Other than that were competing which he said he liked, he is simply trying to get these young guys to be pros, and realise the success can continue if we keep working on the small things(offensive rebounding last night). Small things are what win games, and of course free throws. But were almost there a few more games like this, especially INDY and I think the Raps will have everyone afraid of us.

If we can only establish our home court, we would be a sick team, cause we don't play afraid on the road. We play a little nervous at home, but starting to come around.

Comment

Dwane Casey is a G.

Comment

He's not wrong. Derozen really screwed the pooch there in the fourth.
                      @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Nice to see some fire out of Casey. As good of a game as it was it was weird to see how tired Raptors were when it was Miami that on the second half of a back to back. I really thought we would kill them on the boards and in the paint.

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
                          He's not wrong. Derozen really screwed the pooch there in the fourth.
                          He had a good all around game though and he wasn't the reason they lost. Miami turned it up defensively and Toronto went almost exclusively pick and roll even though the Heat had adjusted and taken most of it away. Also, they had no answer for Lebron down the stretch (who does?).

One thing that seemed to work really well in bursts was Amir in the high post and Val down low. They need more of that but JV has to establish and hold position inside more consistently for it to be effective throughout games.

Comment

I love it.
                            “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
                              He had a good all around game though and he wasn't the reason they lost. Miami turned it up defensively and Toronto went almost exclusively pick and roll even though the Heat had adjusted and taken most of it away. Also, they had no answer for Lebron down the stretch (who does?).

One thing that seemed to work really well in bursts was Amir in the high post and Val down low. They need more of that but JV has to establish and hold position inside more consistently for it to be effective throughout games.
                              Exactly, poor free throw shooting and rebounding ultimately killed us in that game. You lose big on the offensive glass to the worst offensive rebounding team in the league and it gonna be a tough win.

Comment

Working...
                              X