Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lol, my popularity is rising

Comment

For me, the big thing for Derozan is the consistency and, tther than the Chicago game, he hasn't had a real stinker in a long time. Even when he hasn't shot the ball particularly well, he's been on the glass and facilitating. Those are things he never did before (at least not consistently).

As an aside, one thing that gets lost in all the stats stuff is just how good Amir and JV are with their screens. Ross and Derozan get a lot of good action out of the pindowns cause defenders don't wanna (or can't) fight through the Amir/JV screens.

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
        For me, the big thing for Derozan is the consistency and, tther than the Chicago game, he hasn't had a real stinker in a long time. Even when he hasn't shot the ball particularly well, he's been on the glass and facilitating. Those are things he never did before (at least not consistently).

As an aside, one thing that gets lost in all the stats stuff is just how good Amir and JV are with their screens. Ross and Derozan get a lot of good action out of the pindowns cause defenders don't wanna (or can't) fight through the Amir/JV screens.
        I wasn't able to participate on the game-day thread during the game last night, but one thing that stuck with me from DC's halftime interview, was his comment about screens. I remember even earlier this season, when JV would leave his screen too quickly, seemingly getting a foul called at least once per game. It makes me think that paying attention to that level of detail was part of the rationale for having a short leash with JV last season and earlier this year, in an attempt by DC and the coaching staff to hammer home the importance of doing the little things right. Personally, I still think DC could have made his point and got JV back into games rather than keeping him on the bench so much, but I don't argue with that approach in principle for young players.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
          I wasn't able to participate on the game-day thread during the game last night, but one thing that stuck with me from DC's halftime interview, was his comment about screens. I remember even earlier this season, when JV would leave his screen too quickly, seemingly getting a foul called at least once per game. It makes me think that paying attention to that level of detail was part of the rationale for having a short leash with JV last season and earlier this year, in an attempt by DC and the coaching staff to hammer home the importance of doing the little things right. Personally, I still think DC could have made his point and got JV back into games rather than keeping him on the bench so much, but I don't argue with that approach in principle for young players.
          Finally people are starting to acknowledge that it might have been both justifiable and SMART for Casey to put a short leash on JV (and Ross) last season. There are some guys that you don't want to keep in there and have repeating mistakes, in fact this is the case for a lot of young players, and they can often develop bad habits.

One example I can think of is Kyrie Irving. I remember reading that there was a game last year where the Cavs were playing horribly. Their coach yanked every starter as a result EXCEPT Irving. This is not the right message to be sending to a player. As a result for his lax treatment and long leash, Irving isn't even developing into a proper point guard. He's a piss-poor playmaker, doesn't elevate the play of his teammates and plays terrible defense (not only does he lack defensive fundamentals, he puts forth little to no effort on that end).

Sometimes if you make it clear to a young guy that he's not going to play if he continues to make the same mistakes, he decides to get his act together quickly because well... 99% of NBA players have one thing in common... they wanna play.

I actually kind of wish this was done with DeRozan. He'd probably be a better defensive player (he's solid now, but it would've happened more quickly), and have a little bit better shot selection as well.

Comment

Every player would look like a superstar if all we did was watch their highlights.
            your pal,
            ebrian

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post

I can't remember who the other was, but there was a play were Amir and (Ed Davis?) had their arms around each other as a solid double screen. I wasn't sure if it resulted in a basket but it was pretty slick if you ask me.
              #Raptor4Life, #Prepping4thePlayoffs

Comment

Maybe I'm missing something but how is Hayward better than DeRozan?
                Sunny ways my friends, sunny ways
                Because its 2015

Comment

Masai Ujiri wrote: View Post
                  Finally people are starting to acknowledge that it might have been both justifiable and SMART for Casey to put a short leash on JV (and Ross) last season. There are some guys that you don't want to keep in there and have repeating mistakes, in fact this is the case for a lot of young players, and they can often develop bad habits.

One example I can think of is Kyrie Irving. I remember reading that there was a game last year where the Cavs were playing horribly. Their coach yanked every starter as a result EXCEPT Irving. This is not the right message to be sending to a player. As a result for his lax treatment and long leash, Irving isn't even developing into a proper point guard. He's a piss-poor playmaker, doesn't elevate the play of his teammates and plays terrible defense (not only does he lack defensive fundamentals, he puts forth little to no effort on that end).

Sometimes if you make it clear to a young guy that he's not going to play if he continues to make the same mistakes, he decides to get his act together quickly because well... 99% of NBA players have one thing in common... they wanna play.

I actually kind of wish this was done with DeRozan. He'd probably be a better defensive player (he's solid now, but it would've happened more quickly), and have a little bit better shot selection as well.
                  I think the concern was over the fact that when yanked, JV/Ross would often not see the court again during that game. I completely disagree with that approach. If yanked and informed/educated about the error and reason behind benching, I would think a young player with a positive approach to the game/team would be chomping at the bit to get back in and prove capable of adapting and avoiding the same mistake within the same game against the same opponent. I think it eventually hurts morale and confidence of the young players if they never get back in. Plus, you don't want the players playing scared, afraid to make a mistake, which is exactly what I think happened to Ross last season. You want them playing loose, giving it their all, knowing if they screw up they'll get a mouthful and a spot on the bench, followed by a chance to redeem themselves.
                  Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Tue Jan 7, 2014, 12:21 AM.

Comment

ebrian wrote: View Post
                    Every player would look like a superstar if all we did was watch their highlights.
                    He watched the whole game and was tweeting regularly about it live last night.

Get the facts straight before making a post like this.

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post
                      You know DD has been getting a lot of praise for his improvements in these parts, even from those that argue he has been inefficient. Most of the arguments around DeRozan seem to be generated when he is praised as a top 5 shooting guard or sure thing all star. He has had at least a dozen very good games since the start of the year.
                      I'm one of DeRozan's biggest fans on here, and even I've never said he's a sure-fire all-star.

I said he might make the team, although Afflalo (based solely on individual performance) deserves a spot over him because he's played better this year (although the coaches might disagree since the Raptors > Magic).

As for him being a top 5 shooting guard, it's debatable this season. Harden and Wade are obviously the top 2 in whatever order depending on who you ask. Then it's Afflalo. After that there isn't anyone else who's clearly better than him, just guys with different skillsets that are about the same caliber of player. So saying he's top 5 at SG isn't actually ridiculous at all.

Comment

He watched the whole game and was tweeting regularly about it live last night.

Get the facts straight before making a post like this.
                        It doesn't matter, he only showed highlights. Are you saying DeRozan played PERFECTLY and he had nothing bad to show? Just because someone hasn't compiled every mistake DeRozan has ever made, every bad long 2 attempted, doesn't mean they didn't happen.

I'm simply saying that this guy broke down some nice plays that the Raptors made, and if that's all you look at, then of course our team looks awesome. If you have some facts to refute this, please go ahead and say them.
                        Last edited by ebrian; Mon Jan 6, 2014, 11:39 PM.
                        your pal,
                        ebrian

Comment

I'm one of DeRozan's biggest fans on here, and even I've never said he's a sure-fire all-star.

I said he might make the team, although Afflalo (based solely on individual performance) deserves a spot over him because he's played better this year (although the coaches might disagree since the Raptors > Magic).

As for him being a top 5 shooting guard, it's debatable this season. Harden and Wade are obviously the top 2 in whatever order depending on who you ask. Then it's Afflalo. After that there isn't anyone else who's clearly better than him, just guys with different skillsets that are about the same caliber of player. So saying he's top 5 at SG isn't actually ridiculous at all.
                          I think Lance Stephenson will get some looks for an All-Star spot as well. He's been thrown around as a leading candidate for MIP so far, and he's leading the league in triple-doubles. Really stepping into a solid role with the Pacers, and doing it on a hair over $1 million.
                          Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

Hmmmm. Coach Nick, he's someone I consider a legit basketball mind. Good breakdown.
                            Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

ebrian wrote: View Post
                              It doesn't matter, he only showed highlights. Are you saying DeRozan played PERFECTLY and he had nothing bad to show? Just because someone hasn't compiled every mistake DeRozan has ever made, every bad long 2 attempted, doesn't mean they didn't happen.

I'm simply saying that this guy broke down some nice plays that the Raptors made, and if that's all you look at, then of course our team looks awesome. If you have some facts to refute this, please go ahead and say them.
                              What...?

I didn't say DeRozan played perfect...

Comment

isaacthompson wrote: View Post
                                I think Lance Stephenson will get some looks for an All-Star spot as well. He's been thrown around as a leading candidate for MIP so far, and he's leading the league in triple-doubles. Really stepping into a solid role with the Pacers, and doing it on a hair over $1 million.
                                Yeah but he'll likely be making more than DeMar next season.

Comment

Working...
                                X