Stars/Potential Stars who could become available over next 2-3 years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stars/Potential Stars who could become available over next 2-3 years

Just trying to make a little list here to see what superstars we could potentially target if we aren't able to secure one via the draft. I think this is the one area of consensus on this board, that we still DO need to get a superstar to take this team from 2nd round exit potential to title contention.

Carmelo Anthony (2014 FA): Longshot
    Michael Beasley (2014 FA): Longshot that he would play with this level of focus on any other team, but he has arguably been Miami's 2nd best player this season. Showing that superstar talent that got him drafted #2.
    Rajon Rondo (2015 FA): Could also be acquired via trade
    Klay Thompson (2015 FA): Not a superstar, but could be a good addition, the Warriors are going to have to decide whether to pay him or Barnes.
    Kevin Love (2015 FA): Could potentially be acquired via trade before he hits the market
    LaMarcus Aldridge (2015 FA): Less likely now considering how well Portland is playing, don't think he walks
    Harrison Barnes (2016 FA): See Klay Thompson
    Kevin Durant (2016 FA): If he hasn't won a title by then, I see him leaving OKC
    Al Horford (2016 FA):
    Brook Lopez (2016 FA): This guy is a superstar when healthy... which is like never but you never know.

Then there's always the guys who could make it clear they want out of their current losing situations and into winning ones. One name I can think off of the top of my head would be DeMarcus Cousins, who just got a contract extension but I can see him getting tired of losing really quick.

Barnes is the only player on that list that I think could be both legitimately available and attainable, but I'm not sure if he's a potential 'star'. He's definitely a solid young player that will be an above-average rotation player, who should develop into a good starter, but I see him as more of a complimentary piece.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
      Barnes is the only player on that list that I think could be both legitimately available and attainable, but I'm not sure if he's a potential 'star'. He's definitely a solid young player that will be an above-average rotation player, who should develop into a good starter, but I see him as more of a complimentary piece.
      ok

Comment

Carmelo Anthony (2014 FA): Very miniscule chance he considers Toronto as a free agent and trading for him would cost a fortune with a high chance that he walks in free agency in a few months anyway.

Michael Beasley (2014 FA): Beasley should be nowhere near this list. He's in a perfect spot right now - veteran laden team, winning environment, not asked too carry too much of a burden, and his back is up against the wall where this will likely be his last shot if he messes it up. There's plenty of evidence to show that making Beasley a focal point of your team will be a disaster.

Rajon Rondo (2015 FA): Intriguing. Would depend on the cost to get him obviously, but I feel it would be relatively high.

Klay Thompson (2015 FA): I don't think he's going anywhere for a while. The consensus seems to be that G-State will opt to re-sign Thompson for big bucks over Barnes but you never know. Would be a nice get if he somehow becomes available, but not someone that I'd consider a star or potential star necessarily. He's in a very good system right now for his skill set and you may see him drop off a bit with a change of scenery.

Kevin Love (2015 FA): Similar concerns as I have with Carmelo. Would cost an arm and a leg to acquire and I think there's a pretty good chance he heads back West when his contract expires.

LaMarcus Aldridge (2015 FA): Would be a great addition if he was ever willing to leave Portland and consider Toronto.

Harrison Barnes (2016 FA): Probably the most easily attainable on this list from an asset-out perspective. Big question is will he become a star or just a solid player? I think he's a guy worth gambling on, assuming that you don't have to break the bank to acquire him.

Kevin Durant (2016 FA): I don't think him leaving OKC is a foregone conclusion, title or not. By all accounts he is a humble and loyal dude... if they are still in the conversation as a contender then I think he will re-up there. If he hits the open market, obviously you do everything you can to get him (the problem is ~15 other teams will be doing the same thing).

Al Horford (2016 FA): He's about to miss the better part of the season for the second time in the last three years which makes injuries an obvious concern. Worth re-visiting in two and a half years as a lot can change between now and then.

Brook Lopez (2016 FA): Too risky unless Brooklyn is going to give him away for peanuts.
        Last edited by Fully; Mon Jan 6, 2014, 02:44 PM.

Comment

Fully wrote: View Post
          Carmelo Anthony (2014 FA): Very miniscule chance he considers Toronto as a free agent and trading for him would cost a fortune with a high chance that he walks in free agency in a few months anyway.

Michael Beasley (2014 FA): Beasley should be nowhere near this list. He's in a perfect spot right now - veteran laden team, winning environment, not asked too carry too much of a burden, and his back is up against the wall where this will likely be his last shot if he messes it up. There's plenty of evidence to show that making Beasley a focal point of your team will be a disaster.

Rajon Rondo (2015 FA): Intriguing. Would depend on the cost to get him obviously, but I feel it would be relatively high.

Klay Thompson (2015 FA): I don't think he's going anywhere for a while. The consensus seems to be that G-State will opt to re-sign Thompson for big bucks over Barnes but you never know. Would be a nice get if he somehow becomes available, but not someone that I'd consider a star or potential star necessarily. He's in a very good system right now for his skill set and you may see him drop off a bit with a change of scenery.

Kevin Love (2015 FA): Similar concerns as I have with Carmelo. Would cost an arm and a leg to acquire and I think there's a pretty good chance he heads back West when his contract expires.

LaMarcus Aldridge (2015 FA): Would be a great addition if he was ever willing to leave Portland and consider Toronto.

Harrison Barnes (2016 FA): Probably the most easily attainable on this list from an asset-out perspective. Big question is will he become a star or just a solid player? I think he's a guy worth gambling on, assuming that you don't have to break the bank to acquire him.

Kevin Durant (2016 FA): I don't think him leaving OKC is a foregone conclusion, title or not. By all accounts he is a humble and loyal dude... if they are still in the conversation as a contender then I think he will re-up there. If he hits the open market, obviously you do everything you can to get him (the problem is ~15 other teams will be doing the same thing).

Al Horford (2016 FA): He's about to miss the better part of the season for the second time in the last three years which makes injuries an obvious concern. Worth re-visiting in two and a half years as a lot can change between now and then.

Brook Lopez (2016 FA): Too risky unless Brooklyn is going to give him away for peanuts.
          Agree with all your analyses. Was just throwing the names out there to start a discussion.

Comment

Tony Parker needs to be added to the list (2015 FA). He's a baller, and if SA rebuilds without Duncan/Manu he might be available. He's 31 though which is a risk.

Comment

KD or Rondo... I'm cool with getting either one of those guys.
              You come at the King, you best not miss.

Comment

Doubt we land any of those players, considering the assets we'd have to give up. We're more likely to target RFAs next year and hope their teams let em go. Greg Monroe, Hayward, Bledsoe all come to mind, although outside of Monroe those teams will match nearly anything to keep those guys.

If I were Toronto I'd see what Thad Young's asking price is.

Comment

C-Low wrote: View Post
                  Doubt we land any of those players, considering the assets we'd have to give up. We're more likely to target RFAs next year and hope their teams let em go. Greg Monroe, Hayward, Bledsoe all come to mind, although outside of Monroe those teams will match nearly anything to keep those guys.

If I were Toronto I'd see what Thad Young's asking price is.
                  Hello Bryan, sorry for taking your job.

Comment

Masai Ujiri wrote: View Post
                    Hello Bryan, sorry for taking your job.
                    Thad Young has been an efficient scorer on a bad team for years, and has now added a legit 3pt shot...I would be at least be in contact with the dudes agent and watching a lot of tape of him to see if he fit. He's a good player.

Comment

OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
                      Thad Young has been an efficient scorer on a bad team for years, and has now added a legit 3pt shot...I would be at least be in contact with the dudes agent and watching a lot of tape of him to see if he fit. He's a good player.
                      Didn't say he wasn't a good player.

He doesn't move the needle. So tacking on more salary for another above-average player isn't really going to help the team. I'd rather keep that space available to potentially acquire a real superstar than totally remove our ability to get one by adding Young.

Comment

You gotta go hard for Durant. We've probably only got a 10% chance at landing him but it's a chance worth taking.
                        "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

Ahh icic. I agree. Hence why I am still on the "tank" bandwagon.

Comment

ezz_bee wrote: View Post
                            You gotta go hard for Durant. We've probably only got a 10% chance at landing him but it's a chance worth taking.
                            10% chance? Or 0.010% chance?

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                              10% chance? Or 0.010% chance?
                              It is a floating decimal place

Comment

Working...
                              X