NBA Players Perception of Toronto & Canada

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NBA Players Perception of Toronto & Canada

This is a solid article published by Eric Smith this morning about NBA players and their perception of playing north of the 49th parallel. Solid read and he's pretty much bang on. You win and you change the culture of a team & franchise. Don't necessary blame it on geographical reasons. Right now we seem to hopefully heading that winning direction. Finally. *fingers crossed*

Article - Click here

Pretty much what I would think. When you win, you get noticed. When you win championships, you really get noticed. If the Raptors ever become contenders (four years) I don't see many players thinking "Sure I could get a ring in TO, but it's TO. Canada. Nah. I'd rather stay in Brooklyn."

Comment

Dr. James Naismith wrote: View Post
      This is a solid article published by Eric Smith this morning about NBA players and their perception of playing north of the 49th parallel. Solid read and he's pretty much bang on. You win and you change the culture of a team & franchise. Don't necessary blame it on geographical reasons. Right now we seem to hopefully heading that winning direction. Finally. *fingers crossed*

Article - Click here
      *winning championships.

Not just being this generations atlanta hawks, and doing fuck all.

Comment

At the end of the day it's about winning.
        Mamba Mentality

Comment

Bosh is still griping about having to play in Canada, eh? And here I was slowly re-gaining respect for the guy.

Comment

Dr. James Naismith wrote: View Post

Article - Click here
            Absolutely nothing in tat article, how can anyone say its interesting or informative. Give the players a private poll, ask them all the pertinent Questions about playing in Canada, and you will see a different story. The Clippers aren't in Toronto.

Anyhow. Winning helps. But in Toronto's case, they have better be a top three in the NBA type franchise if winning is gonna draw top players here.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
              Bosh is still griping about having to play in Canada, eh? And here I was slowly re-gaining respect for the guy.
              Vince on the other hand, you know the GREATEST Raptor of all time, the guy that puts TO on the NBA map and the same guy that every Raptors fans likes too boo, continously says nothing but great things about Toronto and Canada since he left. But hey let's continue to boo/hate on the guy because of that one mistake.
              Mamba Mentality

Comment

I ilke Carter.

he's a cool cat.

I don't blame him for leaving

Comment

Good article. I've always disliked the notion that "ohh, ESPN hates the Raptors, they hate Canada." Like no.. it's the fact that we suck.

Nobody wants to hear about a losing team. (exception being this year with the tankpalooza ).
                  Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post

Exactly why he's my most hated Raptor ever!!!! At least VC made the Raptors relevant, and was the leader of all-star votes in the 2000s playing for the Raptors (Bosh was saying that he wasn't getting media attention when he was here), and he never said anything bad about the city or the country. Same w/ TMac, there's even a video where he said that he just wanted to come play for his home town team but he never said anything bad about the city.

Rupaul already has a track record for hating Toronto the place itself, saying it was different, it's not home, cable TV sucks, can't get NBA league pass even if he's earning $10+M/year. He quit on the team while they were in the middle of a playoff chase. He cowardly joins forces w/ Lebron and Wade, wins 2 championships, declares that he's a first ballot HOF, etc.

I don't understand why Raptor fans don't give him the hate that he rightfully deserves. Although, I'd think that it's because he's irrelevant anyways.

Comment

I hate Bosh more than VC, lol.

VC might've left, and it stung, but he put Toronto on the map. Wouldn't change that for anything, would go through that all over again.

Bosh, on the other hand, might as well have drafted somebody else. We got nothing for him anyways, lol.

Comment

Craig wrote: View Post
                        I ilke Carter.

he's a cool cat.

I don't blame him for leaving
                        Same here.

I like the dude.

I don't blame him for leaving, but I do blame him giving up on the team and basically sucking on purpose.

But I'm willing to forgive him.

Comment

TRex wrote: View Post
                          Vince on the other hand, you know the GREATEST Raptor of all time, the guy that puts TO on the NBA map and the same guy that every Raptors fans likes too boo, continously says nothing but great things about Toronto and Canada since he left. But hey let's continue to boo/hate on the guy because of that one mistake.
                          hate them both. no forgiveness for carter, bosh or davis.

Comment

how can you forgive a quitter? the one thing he has to do is play to the best of his abilities while representing us and he didn't. all this "at least carter says nice things about us" is shit. at least bosh didn't quit on us. jesus, sticks and stones guys. wa wa wa. guy is a diva, who cares at least he was a hard working diva. same as davis. of the three only one guy was not a professional during his entire tenure wearing the dino. davis and bosh are just stupid people, why hate on the mentally challenged while praising someone taking advantage of you?

again i hate all 3 and won't ever not but this forgive carter for not saying bad things is silly.

Comment

this article is filled with, what I'll call, created perceptions (Yes Mr. E. Smith, perhaps you should read what you write)

Look at Paul Pierce. He’s playing in a major market like Brooklyn with a deep-pocketed owner, but his Nets are well below .500 and out of the post-season. Anyone think he’d like to change places with Kevin Durant or Paul George?
                              I don't know, would he? Where is the evidence that he would? Also, even if we assume that he would, is this the type of 'star' Toronto (or insert team here) would be wanting to sign to build their winner? When we talk about 'signing free agents' are we talking about the 40 year old Hakeems of the league, or the 25ish year old Hakeem?

But they’re (Durant/George) stuck in small markets like Oklahoma City and Indianapolis that no player wants to go to? Yeah, right.
                              Both were drafted by their teams, have yet to be UFA, and teams hold their rights. What does saying "Yeah right" prove?

Losing, it seems, drove Dwight Howard out of Orlando and, eventually, into the Rockets organization (appearances in the playoffs—and even the Finals—be damned). The Magic weren’t winning enough and D12 wanted a ring, so he bolted. Then, and now, Orlando has warm weather and no state tax. Again, winning is what matters, not beaches and babes.
                              Orlando was a perennial contender, a winner, and HE STILL LEFT. THIS IS EVIDENCE GOING AGAINST THE VERY THING BEING ARGUED. IT DOES NOT SUPPORT THE ARGUMENT.

the Clippers couldn’t draw flies until Chris Paul came to town.
                              Yet they STILL drew Chris Paul despite being a terribly run franchise. Again, this is evidence AGAINST the argument being made.

San Antonio sure isn’t Las Vegas but that hasn’t stopped the Spurs from collecting as many rings as Liberace;
                              Please list 'star' FA signed by the San Antonio Spurs....... yep thought so, only the guys they drafted and held rights to.

Allen Iverson seemed quite fine in the holiday hotbed of Philadelphia
                              .... they drafted him, Bird Rights etc. Philly is also a rather substantial market for what its worth.

Glenn Robinson, Sam Cassell and Ray Allen didn’t appear to be phased by the malaise of Milwaukee.
                              .... again, check draft and trades and tenure.....

The lists go on. The examples are plentiful. Winning matters
                              This list hasn't even started yet.

Perception isn’t always reality.
                              Your absolutely right Mr. E. Smith. Perception isn't always reality. So why don't we use the evidence of player movement in the NBA and start to accept the truth of the economics behind the NBA instead of trying to create a percpetion devoid of evidence and filled with questionable relationships.

One day, perhaps it will be different. It well could be. Toronto has alot going for it, and alot of potential as a market. But right now its worth accepting reality. "Winning" doesn't necessarily lead to signing stars. Toronto, even while winning, has neither signed stars and has yet to show an ability to keep its stars.
                              Last edited by Craiger; Thu Jan 9, 2014, 09:31 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X