Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1st Big: Healthy Hansbrough or Patterson?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why not both? However I want Quincy back
    Nevermind what haters say,
    ignore them ’til they fade away. - T.I

Comment

AJ360 wrote: View Post
      Generally speaking I would say Patterson because the second unit needs help putting the ball in the hoop. But depending on the match up I can see Hansbrough coming in first if we need some toughness.
      This is my feeling. In MOST scenarios Patterson is going to make for second unit that is more well rounded than TH. However, maybe 20-30% of the time it makes sense to bring in TH as the first big off the bench.
      "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

I chose TH
        With the jumpshooting teem like Raps we need off.rebounding more than shooting.
        But of course i would like to have them both
        No new friends (c)

Comment

I chose Hansbrough. I think he is the better for when you have your starting lineup in there and one of your bigs needs a breather or is in foul trouble. He's just been around longer and has a higher basketball IQ to be able to step in and do what is needed. I feel like he's just got more tricks up his sleeve than Patterson and can help us better in a pinch.

Patterson is your second unit big man.
          your pal,
          ebrian

Comment

MoscowRussia wrote: View Post
            I chose TH
            With the jumpshooting teem like Raps we need off.rebounding more than shooting.
            But of course i would like to have them both
            I'm not sure this is much of a jump shooting team anymore. They're top 10 in both FTA and FTM. Are there any team comparison stats for shot charts? That would be interesting.
            "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

I vote Tyler because he plays more in the paint. However I think it really comes down to the matchup and what the Raptors need more of.. whether that is offense (Patterson) or defense (Tyler).

Comment

Patterson has won me over with his play. Has very good offensive awareness, shares the ball, spreads the floor, and is decent on the defensive end and on the glass. Ideally would want both of them, and play them depending on matchups, but would take PP if I had to choose one

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                  I don't know. Mahinmi and Scola don't scare me much against Hansbrough and Pat. I think you're picturing going up against starters (Hibbert and West). And also forgetting that Amir can slide over to C with one of them on the court, and he's a long guy. Remember we're talking backups here. Most teams do not have a big and skilled backup C that would give an undersized guy fits.
                  No, I'm picturing us being helpless if JV happens to get in foul trouble. Gotta have something in yr back pocket for that.

Between the two of them, though, I gotta go 2Pat. Just brings so much more to the table offensively.
                  "Stop eating your sushi."
                  "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                  "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                  - Jack Armstrong

Comment

JimiCliff wrote: View Post
                    No, I'm picturing us being helpless if JV happens to get in foul trouble. Gotta have something in yr back pocket for that.

Between the two of them, though, I gotta go 2Pat. Just brings so much more to the table offensively.
                    The only backups who tend to be good in that regard are experienced bigs though. I can't think of one that'd be available. Maybe Camby if he were 3 or 4 years younger (and we didn't waive him)....but that type of guy. I wouldn't want a Mozgov, or even Indy's own Mahinmi, or any number of guys who I think would struggle as much or much more than Jonas.

Comment

1st Big: Healthy Hansbrough or Patterson?

The only backups who tend to be good in that regard are experienced bigs though. I can't think of one that'd be available. Maybe Camby if he were 3 or 4 years younger (and we didn't waive him)....but that type of guy. I wouldn't want a Mozgov, or even Indy's own Mahinmi, or any number of guys who I think would struggle as much or much more than Jonas.
                      And this is exactly it for me.
                      I like that when TH comes in, you're maintaining the same energy as Jonas is known for, but also bringing it in a meaner, tougher, smarter, savvier individual. Maybe smaller package, but TH doesn't play small.
                      PeePee is more of a stretch guy, which granted are useful, but you NEED guys like TH to remind the opponents what it's like to get hit; especially so in a Defensive Minded system like this.

Comment

Goddamit white men, of course they would struggle as much or more than Jonas; that's why they're his backup.

But yeah, I don't think there's a dire need for one of your two bigs of the bench to be a traditional centre, not in today's game. Which brings us whole circle back to the original idea of this thread: do you really have to choose between the two? Does it really matter which one of them is '1st' of the bench? Can we not just be happy that we currently have the second best bigs-off-the-bench combo in franchise history, (trailing only the storied pairing of JYD and Keon Clark?)
                        "Stop eating your sushi."
                        "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                        "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                        - Jack Armstrong

Comment

JimiCliff wrote: View Post
                          Goddamit white men, of course they would struggle as much or more than Jonas; that's why they're his backup.

But yeah, I don't think there's a dire need for one of your two bigs of the bench to be a traditional centre, not in today's game. Which brings us whole circle back to the original idea of this thread: do you really have to choose between the two? Does it really matter which one of them is '1st' of the bench? Can we not just be happy that we currently have the second best bigs-off-the-bench combo in franchise history, (trailing only the storied pairing of JYD and Keon Clark?)
                          Of course they are backups and they should be worse, but my point is that our current bigs are just what you say...Arguably the best reserve bigs we've ever had. I'd take Hansbrough or Pat over JYD any day of the week. And as good as Clark was, he was an alcoholic freak who is probably lucky he lasted as long as he did in the league, so I'm ok with the slightly less talented guys we have as they both probably have better character and are dependable dudes.

And I think what Hansbrough brings even as an undersized backup C is better than most backup Cs in the league, regardless of his size (he's still built solid). He plays a lot like a C, and would probably be his natural position skill-wise, PF being his default position because of height. I'd take Hansbrough any day of the week, unless, as I said, we could have a truly experienced vet with size behind JV....And I really can't think of one who'd be available, and am having a hard time thinking of any in the league right now. For awhile it was guys like Kurt Thomas and Camby, and Dikembe in his later years....

I don't think it matters, and I may have already said I love having both and I love the mix of skills our bigs bring.

Comment

Hansbrough is listed as a game-time decision for tonight. I did not see him in the shoot-around yesterday, but this means he should be back at least on Monday against Milwaukee.

Back to the topic, I agree that having a front court of Valanciunas, Johnson, Hansbrough, and Patterson would give Toronto great depth going forward. Hansbrough's contract is cheap, and Patterson is a restricted free agent. It should be doable if management wants it.

Comment

2 Pat.

Gives you much more on offense with better consistency than Psycho T. Defense wise, I also think 2 Pat is better. The last few games his rotations have been awesome. He has shown he can guard the heavier and taller built guy with his athleticism. I find Psycho T gets backed down to easy sometimes. Psycho T obviously brings more on the glass than 2 Pat. That being said they are two completely different players. I love the aggression that Psycho T brings on the offensive end and the fouls he draws. 2 Pat is really good at stretching defenses and excels in the pick and pop. I love both players and this is without a doubt the best backup big man rotation in raptors history (Aaron Gray and Q Acy a close second )

Comment

They are two different players. Patterson is a stretch four that hansbrough could never dream of being. Banging inside however - there I take Hansbrough, but Casey will always find minutes for Patterson, the upside and talent is there and tonight was a great manifestation of that.

Comment

Working...
                                X