Bryan Colangelo - Updated Legacy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3inthekeon wrote: View Post
    Keep hearing we got nothing for Bosh. We got 2 1st round picks, Drafted JV with the one pickand traded the other for James Johnson I believe..
    Please tell me you don't really believe that the JV pick depended on the Bosh trade. That pick was heavily protected, and there was never a danger of not being able to pick JV. More like we saved a 2nd rounder in the Bosh trade, and got MIA's 28th overall pick. Woo!
    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post
      Please tell me you don't really believe that the JV pick depended on the Bosh trade. That pick was heavily protected, and there was never a danger of not being able to pick JV. More like we saved a 2nd rounder in the Bosh trade, and got MIA's 28th overall pick. Woo!
      Yeah. The picks we got for Bosh....well one was our own, and that must be the pick we used on Jonas. But it's also the pick BC traded away to unload JO and rent Shawn Marion. We essentially got one 1st rounder (protected) and a TPE for Bosh. And I think the guy's right, we used that Miami pick to trade for James Johnson....who we later traded for a 2nd rd pick....so BC downgraded the asset over the span of a year.

Comment

Here's the most recent thread on this subject:

http://www.raptorsrepublic.com/forum...ight=colangelo

You can find my and many other peoples' opinion on this subject there...Can we stop beating this dead horse now?

No one is stopping you from liking BC's work, but the further out things go it will not change the majority's opinion of his job. Come on, the longest playoff drought in franchise history happened under his watch. That's his legacy. (rightly or wrongly)

Comment

Colangelo was a complete and utter failure.

Tar and feather him and move on

/end

Comment

The only great decisions that I believe BC made, were in the draft; Drafting DeRozan, Davis, Valanciunas, Ross (arguable, but it seems to have paid off), Acy.

Otherwise, the rest of his decision have been either controversial - like someone said up top, room for failure - and or bad.

Fields' poison pill (if that's what it's called), Bargnani (awe, holy shit), Bargnani over, well, basically anyone in that 06' draft, etc. etc.

Colangelo had a solid eye for talent in the draft. He should have been nothing more than an NBA scout.
            Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

Colangelo? Is this some kind if joke?
              "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                Yeah. The picks we got for Bosh....well one was our own, and that must be the pick we used on Jonas. But it's also the pick BC traded away to unload JO and rent Shawn Marion. We essentially got one 1st rounder (protected) and a TPE for Bosh. And I think the guy's right, we used that Miami pick to trade for James Johnson....who we later traded for a 2nd rd pick....so BC downgraded the asset over the span of a year.
                The one that was our own was protected for the lottery for years and years when we traded it to MIA. There was never any risk of being able to draft top 5 but having the pick go to MIA instead. Jonas was all ours regardless - Acy would have been the pick we got back in the Bosh S+T, as the protections sacrificed a 2nd rounder.
                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post
                  The one that was our own was protected for the lottery for years and years when we traded it to MIA. There was never any risk of being able to draft top 5 but having the pick go to MIA instead. Jonas was all ours regardless - Acy would have been the pick we got back in the Bosh S+T, as the protections sacrificed a 2nd rounder.
                  The draft pick was lottery protected between 2010 and 2015. Davis, JV, Ross would have been safe. The one issue is that Bryan would not have been able to make that deal with Houston for Lowry since it required giving them our 2013 pick (only protected 1-3 at the time).

Comment

2kfeen wrote: View Post
                    No, he deserved it
                    Lets look at all the bad mistakes...

Bargnani, over L. Aldridge
                    Getting nothing for Bosh, except for a useless TPE
                    Bargnani's contract
                    Landry Fields contract...
                    Jermaine O'Neal
                    Turkologu signing
                    Rudy Gay trade

His accomplishments had a lot of room for failure too

Amir Johnson was unproven
                    Lowry showed he was an enigma in the past
                    DD was unproven
                    He drafted T-Ross over Drummond
                    JV move was to mesh with Bargnani -- in essence, he was building around Bargs to make a European tandem
                    He did take JV over Brandon Knight who many fans wanted. He had a good eye for drafting but failed in other areas as stated above.

Comment

• Have we been too hard on Colangelo?

In 7 years, he's accumulated 3 playoff wins.

If anything, we haven't been hard enough.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                        Have we been too hard on Colangelo?

In 7 years, he's accumulated 3 playoff wins.

If anything, we haven't been hard enough.
                        I disagree. There are several people calling him the worst GM in Raptor history, which I don't think is the case. Is he capable of building a team properly? I would say no, but then that's no easy feat.

Ainge was considered one of the worst GMs in the league before 2007. I believe he also only had 3 playoff wins over 4 years. When he traded for Ray Allen, people were perplexed. Then when he landed KG, he was heralded a saviour. The big 3 were born and Ainge looked like a genius.

Joe Dumars managed to build a fantastic Detroit Pistons team, but has been fumbling for almost a decade.

Colangelo is nowhere near as bad as the Babcock's and David Khan's of the league. Would I want him to continue building the Raptors? No. But some of the insults flying his way are not always deserved.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
                          **groan** Not this one again. There's only one thing you need to know to put this one to bed....yet again.

If BC had gotten his way, Rudy Gay would have signed a long-term extension LAST YEAR. There are articles to back this up, but I'm too lazy to search and too tired of this topic.
                          wow that would have been a nightmare.

Comment

• Marz wrote: View Post
                            I disagree. There are several people calling him the worst GM in Raptor history, which I don't think is the case. Is he capable of building a team properly? I would say no, but then that's no easy feat.

Ainge was considered one of the worst GMs in the league before 2007. I believe he also only had 3 playoff wins over 4 years. When he traded for Ray Allen, people were perplexed. Then when he landed KG, he was heralded a saviour. The big 3 were born and Ainge looked like a genius.

Joe Dumars managed to build a fantastic Detroit Pistons team, but has been fumbling for almost a decade.

Colangelo is nowhere near as bad as the Babcock's and David Khan's of the league. Would I want him to continue building the Raptors? No. But some of the insults flying his way are not always deserved.
                            I'm confused as to what you disagree with. That we're too hard on him?

Comment

• octothorp wrote: View Post
                              I've said it before, I'll say it again: he had a decent eye for talent and no touch for building a team. I think the results both before and after his firing bear this out. His biggest consistent error was a tendency to get locked into building around whoever his best player at the time, first with Bosh, then with Bargnani, and he would have done it again with Gay if given the chance.
                              ding ding ding

i think BC would make a very good scout tbh, he just doesn't have the patience or ruthlessness to be a good GM
                              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• Anyone mention the Matt Barnes saga? My memory is fuzzy, but what I recall is it being a case of coming to an agreement with him without realizing the contract was not allowable due to cap rules.
                                If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

Working...
                                X