Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

golden wrote: View Post
    Yes he has.

2012: NBA MVP Power Rankings: Static On Top As Kyle Lowry, Kyrie Irving Rise Up
    http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2012/1/2...y-kyrie-irving

2011: Should Kyle Lowry be part of the MVP discussion in 2011?
    http://wagesofwins.com/2011/03/22/sh...ssion-in-2011/
    Great articles, but they're written about Lowry as a MVP, which I'm sure at the point they wrote it made sense (not really but I digress) but the fact is when he went down with an injury (BACTERIA INFECTION) the team won more than they lost. Also, before he went down they lost a bunch of games in a row if I remember correctly

Anyways, the point is he's never played at an all-star level until now. He did some nice things that last year he was in Houston, I'm not saying he didn't. Just saying he wasn't a top 5 pg in the west.
    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Toinsy wrote: View Post
      How about the Lakers in the bottom 5! What a charmed franchise. Guaranteed they draft another franchise star this year...

PS: I'm not advocating ****ing. Just commenting on how good it is to be the Lakers....
      Kings of the accelerated rebuild!
      Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
        Loool Wtf
        "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

KeonClark wrote: View Post
          Thank you. People keep shittin on Kyle Lowry, like he hasn't been one of the top 70 players in the NBA for the past few years as per ESPN NBA rank, like he hasn't bubbled up in all-star consideration since his Houston days. Lowry has been a QUALITY, STARTING pg in the NBA for 3 or 4 years now, people are just too hung up on "attitude"..or something...to see it.
          explain houston being overjoyed to get rid of him, him losing the job to calderon and then people here wanting him traded then?
          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
            explain houston being overjoyed to get rid of him,
            Butted heads with Kevin McHale. Rockets chose Coach.

ceez wrote:
            him losing the job to calderon
            He got injured and the Raptors played well with Jose in the lineup while he was out.

ceez wrote:
            and then people here wanting him traded then?
            The **** movement did some crazy things to people around here.

But as always, winning cures all.

Comment

Exactly
              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

But not winning cures all. If winning cured all Lebron would've stayed in Cleveland.
                @sweatpantsjer

Comment

I'm so confused ... what's your point here? I may have missed something.

Comment

I'm agreeing with you, Lowry was a headcase who lost his job to a guy raptor fans wanted traded for years.
                    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                      Portland?

Golden State?

Clippers?

Houston?

Dallas?
                      What I'm saying is statistically, over the last ten games we are performing FAR better than these teams. Are we as talented? No. But we are playing at a higher level.

If we can sustain it, then we (gulp) are actually better.

I don't think that this has much to do with the playoffs, but as far as the regular season, if we finish with 50 wins or so, we would have a great winning percentage post the gay trade.

What I'm saying isn't unreasonable. It's more crazy that we would believe it before we see it
                      Last edited by BallaBalla; Tue Jan 14, 2014, 10:47 AM.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                        I think the bold part is a fair assessment.

The million dollar question is, given that this team would be capped-out next season after re-signing Lowry/Vaszuez/Patterson/Hansborough and adding a 1st round pick, does MU equate "best of the rest" to "no man's land" or not?

I think it's safe to say that there are 7 teams looking like the class of the NBA: Miami, Indy, SAS, OKC, LAC, Houston and Portland (a healthy GS would make that an elite-8).

There are several teams in the next tier (along with Toronto), who are:
                        - dealing with significant injuries
                        - stockpiling young talent
                        - stockpiling draft picks
                        - ****ing to improve 2014 draft pick
                        - underachieving

Even if just a couple of those teams take a big leap forward next season (or return to form when healthy), Toronto will be in tough to compete for even top-12/15. We can all assume all we want, and point to 'evidence' to support our opinion, but I'm very curious what MU's own definition for "no man's land" truly is. I'm sure we'll find out between now and the start of next season!
                        I'm going to play devil's advocate with all of this.

We tend to always think that when we're playing well, we're overachieving. When we are playing badly, we're underachieving, but if we're an 8th seeded team, we're where we're supposed to be.

My point is that I look at the team the way it is and the way we're playing right now. Like all of you, I watch a lot of ball. There is nothing here that we are doing which is not sustainable, except for maybe the FG% for some of our guys.

The idea that other teams are stockpiling draft picks, and talent, which will therefore, make them better than us next year has just as much rationale as me saying that maybe these teams won't draft well, or the picks won't pan out, or they'll get injured,etc. and therefore they won't be better than us next year.

The idea that these teams are underachieving and therefore as "really better than us, they're just going through something" also is a classic Toronto mentality. Maybe we're actually just better.

As far as losing bench players next year, etc. what no one seems to get is that these guys have shown us a blueprint of the types of players that we can use to fill the spots. You don't think we can replace vazquez, salmons, patterson, etc.? as well as they've played, they were crap on another team. Who says we can't bring over some other guys to fill the same void.

As far as us being better or worse than Houston, OKC, etc. The main thing that those elite teams TRULY have on us (based on the last stretch of games) is playoff experience. I know they have stars, and more talent, and I'm not saying that we're better. I'm just saying that we're closer than you think.

Just close your eyes for a second and imagine that it's next season, we've been to the second round and actually sustained our play.
                        Wouldn't you think that we are as good as a team like Houston?
                        Last edited by BallaBalla; Tue Jan 14, 2014, 11:01 AM.

Comment

BallaBalla wrote: View Post
                          I'm going to play devil's advocate with all of this.

We tend to always think that when we're playing well, we're overachieving. When we are playing badly, we're underachieving, but if we're an 8th seeded team, we're where we're supposed to be.

My point is that I look at the team the way it is and the way we're playing right now. Like all of you, I watch a lot of ball. There is nothing here that we are doing which is not sustainable, except for maybe the FG% for some of our guys.

The idea that other teams are stockpiling draft picks, and talent, which will therefore, make them better than us next year has just as much rationale as me saying that maybe these teams won't draft well, or the picks won't pan out, or they'll get injured,etc. and therefore they won't be better than us next year.

The idea that these teams are underachieving and therefore as "really better than us, they're just going through something" also is a classic Toronto mentality. Maybe we're actually just better.

As far as losing bench players next year, etc. what no one seems to get is that these guys have shown us a blueprint of the types of players that we can use to fill the spots. You don't think we can replace vazquez, salmons, patterson, etc.? as well as they've played, they were crap on another team. Who says we can't bring over some other guys to fill the same void.

As far as us being better or worse than Houston, OKC, etc. The main thing that those elite teams TRULY have on us (based on the last stretch of games) is playoff experience. I know they have stars, and more talent, and I'm not saying that we're better. I'm just saying that we're closer than you think.

Just close your eyes for a second and imagine that it's next season, we've been to the second round and actually sustained our play.
                          Wouldn't you think that we are as good as a team like Houston?
                          Good post, agree 100%.

Comment

The health issue is legit. The Raps have been the healthiest team in the league by a mile. What would happen to this team if Lowry or DD went down for 2-3 months? They'd struggle more than they are right now, that's for sure.

The East is getting all the bad pub, but the injury bug in the conference has been CRAZY. The Knicks, Nets, Bulls, Hawks, Celtics, and Wizards have all had significant, long-ish term injuries to cornerstone players. The Raps have had none.

The Nets had 3 of their 4 most important starters out of their last game against the Raps. How would Toronto look if you sat DD, Lowry and one of Amir or Jonas for a game against Brooklyn? It would be the Sacto Kings sideshow, that's what.

I do believe this team is legitimately good and that they're playing sustainable team ball, but a major factor in the East right now is health - no question about it.
                            "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

Second Birdmester by Bill and Jalen. This is part 4, go check out 1, 2, 3 if you want. This one has the power rankings for the playoff teams. Raptors are rated as fools gold.

Comment

OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
                                Second Birdmester by Bill and Jalen. This is part 4, go check out 1, 2, 3 if you want. This one has the power rankings for the playoff teams. Raptors are rated as fools gold.

Their take is oversimplified, which is not a surprise considering it's a quick league-wide recap.

Raps have lots of growth and transaction potential moving forward. They'd only be fool's gold if they were locked in to the current roster and capped out.

Bill especially is a pro-t@nker.
                                Last edited by S.R.; Tue Jan 14, 2014, 02:12 PM.
                                "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

Working...
                                X