Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why Shouldn't The Raptors Make A Run At LeBron?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LBJ is the best player in the NBA and a two-time defending champion. Florida has very low taxation and Heat can offer a larger contract then anyone else. Other players come to play for his team for far less money then market value.
    Sure we can make a run at LBJ, but at best that would be a courtesy visit, much like he made one to the Clippers when he was a free agent.

Comment

Durant would love that good Canadian Kush too.

A wise man once said: F*ck Brooklyn!

Comment

The problem with targeting one of these guys for the 2016-2017 season is that we'll also need to retain a bunch of other guys. LBJ or Durant or whomever else you folks are dreaming about are going to take one look at the roster and think:

"Raptors were decent last year but but half the starting lineup and most of the bench are free agents now. If I join them with my max contract, they won't be able to afford to bring everyone back!"

The only contracts remaining will be DeRozan, Novak, Valanciunas and Ross, with the possibility of Lowry (if he re-signs), and maybe Patterson and Amir Johnson.
        your pal,
        ebrian

Comment

Let me start by saying this... the people who make decision of this calibre.... i.e. TL, Rogers/Bell guys, they have accees to a fuckload more information about the possibility than we do.

I mention this, because if TL wants Lebron James, and he decides its what he's going to do, I give this guy all the confidence in the world that he will do so with an offer and plan that would be completely lucrative and completely something Lebron would have to consider seriously.

We had a thread earlier in the year where a kid mentioned this and people laughed at him and called him an idiot (you shoulda apologized). But the idea of dreaming big (or more accurately, thinking big) isn't something I laugh at. TL has shown he has an appetite for big things, he just pulled some stuff off NOBODY thought would happen for the TFC guys.... I wouldn't be so quick to say he won't try with Lebron.

As for Lebron. Rumour is he likes it in Miami, like, just to live. so moving might not be a basketball decision, his wife just started a chain of coffee or smoothy or something shops too.... she'd fucking kill him. So there's that.

BUT

I bet the story, him in Toronto, the Allstar game, a team on the up and up, and the chance to win the first EVER championship outside of the USA, on a team nobody thinks will ever win, THEREFORE making it ALL HIS DOING, would be an easy sell.

It isn't far fetched, not even a little bit. And if Toronto pushed either Indiana or Miami in the playoffs..... trust me, more than just Lebron will be considering The Raps.

Grange ain't dumb.... he's right.

Comment

ebrian wrote: View Post
            The problem with targeting one of these guys for the 2016-2017 season is that we'll also need to retain a bunch of other guys. LBJ or Durant or whomever else you folks are dreaming about are going to take one look at the roster and think:

"Raptors were decent last year but but half the starting lineup and most of the bench are free agents now. If I join them with my max contract, they won't be able to afford to bring everyone back!"

The only contracts remaining will be DeRozan, Novak, Valanciunas and Ross, with the possibility of Lowry (if he re-signs), and maybe Patterson and Amir Johnson.
            Yeah, so all the good players. Plus their draft picks between now and then. If the Raps can find a taker for Novak, they can probably clear enough space to sign a max free agent and then a couple vet minimum guys.
            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

KD Said hes a raptors fan, so it could happen
              ya dun noe

Comment

I think there is 0 chance of Lebron coming to TO. I do believe he will leave the Heat tho, and go win somewhere else like LA or NY.

Comment

A few people have said that at best LeBron would come for a courtesy visit...so?

When in the history of this franchise would we ever have been able to get a top 10 player, let alone the unanimous top player in the world, to listen to our pitch? Would we really scoff at LeBron coming for a visit to Toronto as a "courtesy visit"?

Even if his "interest/visit" would only be a favour to Drake...wouldn't that still be a fantastic moment for the organization? Top players generally only consider a few options: current team, a place to play with their buddies, traditional market (NY, LA, Chi.), or somewhere warm.

LeBron will most likely be willing to listen to pitches from Miami, LA, NY, and maybe Cleveland (only due to hometown reasons). Cleveland doesn't gain respect due to his childhood roots...but if he was even willing to listen to a pitch from Toronto? To me, that adds some additional legitimacy to the organization, the management, and even to the idea of having a Global Ambassador named Drake.

If LeBron is willing to listen to a pitch from Toronto...that already goes a long way to speak of how the franchise's reputation is growing.
                  http://twitter.com/m_shantz

Comment

Fully wrote: View Post
                    So you don't think it's far fetched that he comes to Toronto next year?
                    It's not far fetched but it's still a long shot.
                    “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
                      It's not far fetched but it's still a long shot.
                      It's farfetched

Comment

LOOOOl I hate LeBron
                        even if he comes to Toronto It's gonna be tough to love him

its #Durant2016 or nothing else
                        Last edited by lilmamba_; Tue Jan 14, 2014, 07:32 PM.
                        What they got to say now? Nothing they can say now. Mobbin' on the low. Winnin' on the low
                        The city embraced me, made me feel at home. The only difference [between Compton and Toronto] for me is the cold. -DeMar
                        No Where Near the South Side #WeTheNorth

Comment

I think that the pitch to LeBron has an actual high chance of happening considering the mindset of Leiweke as well as even Drake who could have an impact on this.

But to think that LeBron would even consider Toronto as a destination is so far from happening that it's laughable.

Comment

Craig wrote: View Post
                            Let me start by saying this... the people who make decision of this calibre.... i.e. TL, Rogers/Bell guys, they have accees to a fuckload more information about the possibility than we do.

I mention this, because if TL wants Lebron James, and he decides its what he's going to do, I give this guy all the confidence in the world that he will do so with an offer and plan that would be completely lucrative and completely something Lebron would have to consider seriously.

We had a thread earlier in the year where a kid mentioned this and people laughed at him and called him an idiot (you shoulda apologized). But the idea of dreaming big (or more accurately, thinking big) isn't something I laugh at. TL has shown he has an appetite for big things, he just pulled some stuff off NOBODY thought would happen for the TFC guys.... I wouldn't be so quick to say he won't try with Lebron.

As for Lebron. Rumour is he likes it in Miami, like, just to live. so moving might not be a basketball decision, his wife just started a chain of coffee or smoothy or something shops too.... she'd fucking kill him. So there's that.

BUT

I bet the story, him in Toronto, the Allstar game, a team on the up and up, and the chance to win the first EVER championship outside of the USA, on a team nobody thinks will ever win, THEREFORE making it ALL HIS DOING, would be an easy sell.

It isn't far fetched, not even a little bit. And if Toronto pushed either Indiana or Miami in the playoffs..... trust me, more than just Lebron will be considering The Raps.

Grange ain't dumb.... he's right.
                            Speaking of Grange ain't dumb, Danny Granger ain't dumb either, you think he'd wanna sign as a stopgap till we get LeBron?
                            A key that opens many locks is a master key, but a lock that gets open by many keys is just a shitty lock

Comment

e_wheazhy_ wrote: View Post
                              Speaking of Grange ain't dumb, Danny Granger ain't dumb either, you think he'd wanna sign as a stopgap till we get LeBron?
                              He might want to, I just hope we don't want to.

Comment

Letter N wrote: View Post
                                He might want to, I just hope we don't want to.
                                Why not? He's playing pretty solid, even though he's old but if we can get him for $1-3 million ill take him over salmons in the second unit
                                A key that opens many locks is a master key, but a lock that gets open by many keys is just a shitty lock

Comment

Working...
                                X