Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why Shouldn't The Raptors Make A Run At LeBron?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Craig wrote: View Post
    Let me start by saying this... the people who make decision of this calibre.... i.e. TL, Rogers/Bell guys, they have accees to a fuckload more information about the possibility than we do.

I mention this, because if TL wants Lebron James, and he decides its what he's going to do, I give this guy all the confidence in the world that he will do so with an offer and plan that would be completely lucrative and completely something Lebron would have to consider seriously.

We had a thread earlier in the year where a kid mentioned this and people laughed at him and called him an idiot (you shoulda apologized). But the idea of dreaming big (or more accurately, thinking big) isn't something I laugh at. TL has shown he has an appetite for big things, he just pulled some stuff off NOBODY thought would happen for the TFC guys.... I wouldn't be so quick to say he won't try with Lebron.

As for Lebron. Rumour is he likes it in Miami, like, just to live. so moving might not be a basketball decision, his wife just started a chain of coffee or smoothy or something shops too.... she'd fucking kill him. So there's that.

BUT

I bet the story, him in Toronto, the Allstar game, a team on the up and up, and the chance to win the first EVER championship outside of the USA, on a team nobody thinks will ever win, THEREFORE making it ALL HIS DOING, would be an easy sell.

It isn't far fetched, not even a little bit. And if Toronto pushed either Indiana or Miami in the playoffs..... trust me, more than just Lebron will be considering The Raps.

Grange ain't dumb.... he's right.
    Kid??? I'm 37 years old, son.

And no one here needs to apologize or worry about my feelings. I've always marched to the beat of my own drum and that means coming out with thoughts and ideas that aren't the norm at a given time. It is very interesting, however, that people are noticing the same trends after a bit more supporting evidence.

What was it that tipped me off originally? Since the Gay trade (and even a bit before), the Raps stopped playing soft. Win or lose, teams who played the Raps had to go to war. Those are the sorts of things that players take notice of. Also that all the major pieces are young, hungry guys. And the coaching/office situation is getting more stable. Instead of trying to run teams out of the gym, they play a much more sustainable brand of ball involving ball movement and smart defence. The new defensive toughness will keep losing streaks to a minimum, in the regular season at least.

Let's put our Toronto insecurities aside and accept that Toronto is getting to be more than someplace that's nice to visit for NBA players. There really does seem to be something different about this team, even different than the VC era. FAs are going to notice. It's just a matter of approaching the right ones, with the right money, and hoping some do more than consider the possibility, and take the leap and say yes.

I believe that LeBron James has matured over time and is not the same person he was. The Decision and the Heat's subsequent Finals loss to the Mavs seems to have had a profound effect on him (this is a recurring theme in media coverage), and being surrounded by pros like Allen and Battier seems to have been good for him. I think that on some level he also knows that the Heat championship window is closing. I can't guarantee that he'll sign with the Raps of course, and still believe that it is a long shot, but it's definitely something that could become a much more serious conversation by the end of this year depending on how things finish up.

Comment

Letter N wrote: View Post
      How young are you because Kobe was basically hated by all outside of LA until like 4 years ago.

and KD has no personality. He might as well be a hockey player.
      Lol there is no sense in arguing with a teenage girl. There is no way of winning bro, just leave it haha

Comment

$1-3 million?????

What NBA are you watching. I think the minimum allowable salary for someone with his experience would be over $1 million.
        Minimum salary is under 1 mil for everyone, but veterans get a bonus directly from the NBA (not the team) based on their experience.

But I think you are probably right, Granger could get midlevel or even more. It depends entirely on health and medicals, I think. He's only 30. He's rusty right now which is normal but he's had some good games too. That's a good sign. If medicals are ok, I think some team would pay. There are teams with cap space this summer that have a big need at SF.

Comment

How young are you because Kobe was basically hated by all outside of LA until like 4 years ago.

and KD has no personality. He might as well be a hockey player.

She hates basically everyone, look let me put it that way, she hates D.Rose, because he's overhyped and wow, hatred is such a strong feeling... I wonder how... Probably just youth.
          Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

People who love Kobe, but hate Lebron because of arrogance are hypocrites. And what's up with all the love for cleveland, their team sucked ass, Lebron left because even being the best player in the league he couldn't win with those scrubs, got to a place with a HOF basketball personality, genius that is Pat Riley to win, got surounded with a lot of talent, a young, but a talented couch and lives in the state with tropical climate. And since winning those championships Lebron really looks like he humbled himself and he seems to be matured as a man, that or his arrogance came as a defensive mechanism after losing (people forget how much media induced pressure there wad for Lebron to win a championship)

Comment

I hate Lebron because every time I turn on the game and see him, my son goes "look, even Lebron bites his nails".

I'm kidding, my kid can't talk yet.
              your pal,
              ebrian

Comment

I don't understand hating LeBron for doing what at least half the players in this league do, i.e. cocky/borderline arrogant, chase money and winning situations, whine and complain about fouls. Hello? This is the NBA. Half the league does this.

Okay, so LeBron catches the flak because he's the best player in the sport. It would be nice if we could eliminate all of the above and just make him super-role-model-best-basketball-player-alive LeBron James, then we'd all be happy, right?

The NBA as a whole is perverted by money, egos, and a "soft" athletic culture. I choose to ignore that and enjoy the basketball, which is the best on the planet. Same goes for LeBron - he's freaking amazing. I don't need to like him as a person, I just want to watch him play.
                "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

I don´t want LeBron to come to our city, we already sent Bosh away... I prefer to keep Miami as it is and beat them up!!. It really feels good to beat them and bring all that cockiness down...

About KD, please I don´t think OKC will ever let him go... let´s be realistic.

what MU needs to do now is to look for back up C to help JV... this is a priority and keep CH in the PF to help in the paint when we need to close in D, especially against team like Indiana (with RH)

Comment

lilmamba_ wrote: View Post
                    1. He cries and complains too much. If he drives to the basket and misses, he cries for a foul.
                    2. he promised cleveland a ring but couldnt get them one
                    3. teamed up with wade and bosh and assumed he'd become a winner
                    4. just the way he carries him self off the court, he makes himself look like an arrogant prick
                    just his attitude I got no problem with his game or what he bring to the team stat wise

ohh and how could I forget
                    The media overhype.

EDIT: and his loser bandwagon fans
                    He stirs up a lot of emotion in a lot of fans no doubt.

Comment

Craig wrote: View Post
                      Let me start by saying this... the people who make decision of this calibre.... i.e. TL, Rogers/Bell guys, they have accees to a fuckload more information about the possibility than we do.

I mention this, because if TL wants Lebron James, and he decides its what he's going to do, I give this guy all the confidence in the world that he will do so with an offer and plan that would be completely lucrative and completely something Lebron would have to consider seriously.

We had a thread earlier in the year where a kid mentioned this and people laughed at him and called him an idiot (you shoulda apologized). But the idea of dreaming big (or more accurately, thinking big) isn't something I laugh at. TL has shown he has an appetite for big things, he just pulled some stuff off NOBODY thought would happen for the TFC guys.... I wouldn't be so quick to say he won't try with Lebron.

As for Lebron. Rumour is he likes it in Miami, like, just to live. so moving might not be a basketball decision, his wife just started a chain of coffee or smoothy or something shops too.... she'd fucking kill him. So there's that.

BUT

I bet the story, him in Toronto, the Allstar game, a team on the up and up, and the chance to win the first EVER championship outside of the USA, on a team nobody thinks will ever win, THEREFORE making it ALL HIS DOING, would be an easy sell.

It isn't far fetched, not even a little bit. And if Toronto pushed either Indiana or Miami in the playoffs..... trust me, more than just Lebron will be considering The Raps.

Grange ain't dumb.... he's right.
                      Kudos for thinking big.

Reality and circumstances usually dictate what path will be taken. Sure there is some possibility that LBJ could come to Toronto. Most likely,however, this will not happen.

One of the things I really like about MU is that he keeps all of his options open. Having the right fit is also important when targeting free agents.

Comment

AF Basket wrote: View Post
                        It really feels good to beat them and bring all that cockiness down...
                        Except that we haven't beat them yet ... though we have come close quite a few times.

Comment

Granges point isn't that MLSE is going after LBJ. He used LBJ because he's the greatest talent in any of the sports MLSE has a team in. The point is the thinking has changed. This is now a think big act big organization that always had the means but never had the desire/aspiration to make big signings and do what it takes to win. It now has the desire and aspirations to do so. They're just getting started....

And then I saw this posted on the front page.

http://m.theglobeandmail.com/report-...service=mobile

Hm.
                          Last edited by Uncle_Si; Wed Jan 15, 2014, 01:08 PM.
                          Sunny ways my friends, sunny ways
                          Because its 2015

Comment

RandomGuy wrote: View Post
                            She hates basically everyone, look let me put it that way, she hates D.Rose, because he's overhyped and wow, hatred is such a strong feeling... I wonder how... Probably just youth.
                            wooow I hate LeBron and refuse to jump on the Rose bandwagon and I ''basically hate everyone''?!?!?
                            loool what!!!!
                            Sometimes I go hard with the criticism when it comes to JV, does that mean I hate him, no. I refuse to dick ride him, I'll point out his weakness' once in awhile, but that doesnt mean I hate him.

sorry for not hoping on to the mainstream bandwagon...
                            What they got to say now? Nothing they can say now. Mobbin' on the low. Winnin' on the low
                            The city embraced me, made me feel at home. The only difference [between Compton and Toronto] for me is the cold. -DeMar
                            No Where Near the South Side #WeTheNorth

Comment

FTR, Lebron has been anything but a spoiled, arrogant brat the last two years.

He's actually fairly level headed nowadays.

I can't criticize this guy like I used to, if I do, its just inn accurate.

Uncle_si is bang on anyhow, this is more about the realization that this City CAN be a player on the big market, and, that with the right plan, the proper people executing that plan, this city, and franchise might actually be able to pull it off.

Keep in mind, Toronto is financially VERY strong. After the CBA, there were a few years of transition, but soon, money will be a VERY big deal. Fanchises that have, and make it, will fare better.

Comment

All u lebron haters need to jus stop! I must admit at times i was a bit annoyed with the whole miami show but, to say u would not want lebron on the raptors is the most ridiculous thing a true raptor fan can say. Just imagine what james would do with this current team never mind the idea of him along with another star which im sure would follow if he signed! imagine the buzz im toronto imagine the acc rocking everynight, all the REAL raptors fans should pray every night till the summer that tim can pull some magic and sign Lebron

Comment

Working...
                                X