Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When It Comes To Lowry, Eating Crow Isn't So Bad After All.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When It Comes To Lowry, Eating Crow Isn't So Bad After All.

I'll admit I've always been a little skeptical of Lowry in general, and have eaten quite a bit of crow over this last month, but I to say that there couldn't be a more clear cut leader of this team then Kyle Lowry right now. I've read alot of comments here and elsewhere where people feel its DeMar's team or he's the leader, but I have to disagree.

This article today via TSN reaffirmed those feelings:

He continues to make nightly mistakes - with his positioning, in the pick-and-roll game, and on defence, particularly as the help man - and Lowry is usually the first person to let him hear about it.

"Every time he messes up we talk about it," Lowry said. "I tell him what he did and then he fixes it and I congratulate him when he does it [right].

"I think he has the skills and he has the heart and he has the right mentality to be one of the best bigs in the league," the Raptors' point guard continued. "My constructive criticism is just tough, big brother love. I think the world of him, I think he can be so good [and] that's why I push him. I'm always going to be tough on him because I know how good he's going to be."
    Not only has Kyle shown on the court that he's a major "cog in the machine" but reading how vocal and assertive he is has really given me new found appreciation and respect for Lowry. I really and truly hope this is the Klow we hoped for when we signed him a couple years back and it isn't the incentive of being a free agent this summer and a new contract that is pushing him as hard as he's been playing at the moment.

We all know of the corny saying "There's no "I" in team", but if you had to choose who on this team could be considered its true leader or a team MVP right now, would most not tend to agree by now that its Kyle? God forbid he goes down with an injury, but I just have this gut feeling that this team will live or die by Lowry. Agree or disagree guys?

Source to Article - Click here

I have been very lukewarm on Kyle since he came over because I didn't pay attention to what he did before I only know what he has done since he got here. Outside of the first 3 games and this last stretch of games he has been fairly mediocre with flashes of greatness. He has stopped doing all the things that bothered me with his game. He is no longer a gambler on defense like he was. He now plays within the defense that the coaching staff has been pushing since they were put in place. He also is not as reckless driving to the net when there is nothing there. He now takes what is there and when its not he attempts to make plays for his team mates. He has also had the ability since we started winning to make a big shot when the other team is making a run or starting to come on strong that usually ignites our team and then we end up on a run as a result.

As you say I hope this is a full time thing and not just a contract year thing.

Comment

wow really great article. Thanks for sharing.

I have a feeling that Jose had a really big impact on Kyle as far as leadership and being a team guy goes, and just being a professional in general. I have no evidence but just a guess based on some of their interactions last year and the way kyle has evolved. I am loving the player he is now and hope it lasts.
      Last edited by Machine; Tue Jan 14, 2014, 04:49 PM.

Comment

Dr. James Naismith wrote: View Post
        I'll admit I've always been a little skeptical of Lowry in general, and have eaten quite a bit of crow over this last month, but I to say that there couldn't be a more clear cut leader of this team then Kyle Lowry right now. I've read alot of comments here and elsewhere where people feel its DeMar's team or he's the leader, but I have to disagree.

This article today via TSN reaffirmed those feelings:

Not only has Kyle shown on the court that he's a major "cog in the machine" but reading how vocal and assertive he is has really given me new found appreciation and respect for Lowry. I really and truly hope this is the Klow we hoped for when we signed him a couple years back and it isn't the incentive of being a free agent this summer and a new contract that is pushing him as hard as he's been playing at the moment.

We all know of the corny saying "There's no "I" in team", but if you had to choose who on this team could be considered its true leader or a team MVP right now, would most not tend to agree by now that its Kyle? God forbid he goes down with an injury, but I just have this gut feeling that this team will live or die by Lowry. Agree or disagree guys?

Source to Article - Click here
        Lowry, as I mentioned the other day, has made an incredible amount of progress in the last 2 years. He has grown up. I have no idea whats in his past, or in his private life, but whatever it may be, he seems to be a grown up man now. He is leading, he's no longer crying to the officials constantly, he's playing really smart ball, keeping his guys fed, running the offence.... he is finally that Calderon/Lowry hybrid myself, and lots of other thought impossible two years ago.

And he's fucking just as good as I always dreamed that Hybrid could be.

I hop ehe keeps this going, and if her does, they need to resign.

Comment

Pill wrote: View Post
          As you say I hope this is a full time thing and not just a contract year thing.
          You raise a good point,however, in contract years, effort is what is increased. Lowry has always given his 100% effort, thats who he is, he wasnt using his head, and his ego was through the roof. He's basically learned how to be a leader. AND the positive side effect for him is that his numbers are better.

Comment

I find there is a fine line between confidence and arrogance, and Lowry is one of those players who is constantly riding that line. Right now he's on the good side.

I think you see his arrogance when certain things aren't going his way - butting heads with coaches, sulking (for lack of a better word - maybe 'less enthusiastic' would be better) when not starting, willing to give up the ball but alot less so if he's not going to get it back, quick to react to the refs not giving him calls (or calls against him). He gets reckless and he gets more selfish.

With the exception of the ref part (because he still complains alot and quite aggressively at times - I'm still absolutely shocked that he's not getting techs. Unrelated, also shocked he hasn't got a flopping fine, let alone warning, yet) I don't think we've been seeing any of the rest since the Gay trade, and as such he's played much better.

I really do wonder if one of, or all of, the following have had a positive impact on him.
            - getting the ball more since the Gay trade
            - having potential starter behind him that could challenge him for his position, but having not lost his position
            - fear of being traded, not only the Knicks (I know I'd be afraid if I had to play with Bargnani again ), but of being moved into an unknown situation (ie. he knows he'll get the ball here, get minutes, be a starter etc - while he won't if he's elsewhere)
            - the contract year itself

There is no question he's been playing very good ball, I don't even question that he's likely the leader on the team (none of the other starters strike me as they could or would be). I do question though, if this is going to last - not necessarily this year, but into next year and beyond (if he even resigns which I think is still a big if itself)

Comment

Ok.

I don't agree on:

the refs. He isn't getting T' dup, because you can't hear what he is saying...content counts.
              Flops..... not a chance, he is drawing perfect charges.... its part of the play to go back on contact, its what keeps you from getting killed.... but trust me, he's getting to the spot, and the contact is there. Good charges.

Ego.

Come on man. He's just not a little kid anymore.

AND...I will tell you why he's better, its because they fired Alvin Williams. He was a bad influence....

Comment

Yes, I agree he is the clear cut leader on this team. I'm not sure if anyone remembers, and I do not have a source, but I recall reading an article last year (maybe offseason) in which Billups told him not to mess up this chance with the Raptors. I'm not sure if that had any impact but it came from Chauncey and maybe he took it to heart. He's definitely more mature and seems ready to be the leader on a good basketball team. Keep it up Lowry!!

Comment

Kyle Lowry is playing his type of game. This is second time KLow has been able to play his game. First time was the first 3 games of the season last year. We know what happened he got injured and than Calderon happened. He had to adapt his game to being a back PG. When Calderon got traded Rudy had arrived. Once again Kyle had to adapt his game. This is the longest stretch where his been let lose to play to his strength.

I'm not surprised at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  @Chr1st1anL

Comment

I always knew that he had it in him. nice to see it all coming together, consistently

Comment

I said it before, Lowry is the engine that makes this team go and resigning him should be the #1 priority.

The kid is a winner!

Comment

I agree with alot of the sentiments here that he's just a more mature player. Maybe it was the Billups 'talk', maybe its his agent telling him 'you don't want that rep' or maybe it's just that he trusts his team alot more now.

I see alot less reckless drives & that's perhaps why he is staying healthy. He's always given 100% effort, he's simply picking his spots alot better now.

I think Kyle is the voice of reason in the locker room. He's gained his coach's trust & his teammates seem to gravitate to his intensity especially on the defensive end.

If it is that maturity that factors in to why he has looked really good, I see no reason why he won't sustain it long term. He genuinely likes to compete & Toronto has given him what he's always wanted. I really only see the Lakers as our competition come free agency.
                        “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

-- Charles Barkley

Comment

lets be honest here if there is a allstar on this team and a leader its casey and MU because the last 3 years and even at the begining of this season no one individually was a leader or allstar. so lets stay away from pointing out anyone but casey and MU. as far as the players go on this team I only see one name and thats raptors. finally a team I can enjoy watching.

Comment

Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                            Kyle Lowry is playing his type of game. This is second time KLow has been able to play his game. First time was the first 3 games of the season last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            Dead wrong.

Not the same at all. Only thing that matches is the numbers. But the way he's doing it now, sorry man not even close.

Comment

Interesting listen to Bob McCown's convo with Butch Carter regarding Lowry resigning and going after LeBron. It seems like it's not a slam dunk to resign Klow AND Casey (as some feel they're still not getting along). Interesting.
                              Last edited by Balls of Steel; Tue Jan 14, 2014, 06:41 PM.
                              “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

Working...
                              X