Should Casey get extended?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should Casey get extended?

Casey in his last year of his contract. In the summer when MU took over the consensus was that Casey was a lame duck coach. The team started the season off very poorly but once Gay got traded, the team rallied and Casey's coaching seemed to improve.

We do not know what MU is going to do but if you were him would you extend Casey or look for another coach next season, and why?
    Yes, extend him.
    51.47%
    No, find another head coach.
    48.53%

I would look for another coach, and given the options, decide then. So I didn't answer the poll.
    "Bruno?
    Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
    He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

Good question. I'd really like to see how the season goes before making a judgement, but based on the here and now I would say yes. I really like how the team has responded since the Gay trade. I'm not sure that's all on Casey, of course, but he seems to have the respect of the players and they have bought in to the system he has tried to implement, a system which apparently was the same even when Rudy was here. It depends too, on how this team will look next season and the type of team that MU envisions. If defense continues to be a priority going forward, and this group largely remains the same, then I think Casey is a good head coach to have. We have the 3rd (I think) best defense in the league right now, or since the Gay trade anyways. That's a major component of a championship contender right there. It would be hard to let him go if this team continues to succeed.

Comment

I feel like I can't answer this question until the end of the season. It's still just too early.

Comment

I don't think Casey is a great coach.. but the players seem to like playing for him (at least when they are winning). If they get a new coach does that affect their chemistry? I think it's important enough to bring him back even if its for 2 years. A coach doesn't count against the salary cap so if they fire him after another year it doesn't really matter.

My poll but I voted extend.

Comment

I like what Casey is about for the most part but I think it should come down to:

A.) Who's available?
            B.) Who's interested?
            C.) Of those, who's the best fit in terms of x's & o's and basketball culture?

There is more at play than Casey's performance.

Sent from my Note 3 using Tapatalk

Comment

There's no right answer right now. Need to see how he performs for the rest of the season, then re-up him if you have confidence at that point. Seeing how he performs in the playoffs will be a nice test. And if the team drops out of the playoffs, no way you bring him back.
              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Casey is terrible at getting the most out of his players. In fact he usually makes them much worse than they are. This cannot be the case if we are to improve the team. I like his defense, but we need a coach that inspires confidence in his players and has some form of offense / player rotation management.

Comment

OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post

Casey is terrible at getting the most out of his players. In fact he usually makes them much worse than they are. This cannot be the case if we are to improve the team. I like his defense, but we need a coach that inspires confidence in his players and has some form of offense / player rotation management.
                  How do you figure? I hope you have more to bring to the table than Rudy Gay.

Comment

Kyle Lowry
                    Bayless
                    Augustine
                    Ross (exception last 15 games)
                    Val (lack of PnR offense, random benching, destroying confidence)
                    Amir (lack of PnR offense)
                    Alan Anderson
                    Ed Davis

Basically he has underutilized the majority of his players throughout his career here, or ruined their confidence. Or miss handled minutes. I really do not like him as a head coach.

Comment

Why the hurry? Is he going somewhere else? Like with the players play the season out and take it from there. Casey is a good guy but is he the best coach available? We wont know the makeup of the team going forward until the summer.

Comment

In an ideal world Sam Mitchell would be a prime candidate for head coach and DC would be demoted to defensive coordinator.

Maybe that's my hopes for raptors nostalgia still in existence...

not going to happen letting someone else take the reins after a 3 year failed project however.

Comment

At this point, the Raptors need consistency. The raptors have 6 returning players from last year (The 5 starters and Landry).
                          They have been playing as a team that believes in each other and in their coach.
                          There is all this talk of building a winning culture. That comes with time and player development. Not just as players, but development as a team and coaching staff as well.
                          I don't know if the answer is Dwayne Casey, but the Raptors need to commit to a coach long term (like Boston did with Brad Stevens) and end the turn-style of players and coaches that strips a team of identity and so called "culture".

Comment

I would say no because he's mismanages players all the time until he was forced into playing the younger players.Hes also not a tough coach on the offensive side of the ball he let Rudy single handedly destroy an offense because he never told him to change his shot selection. I love the defense he brings but that's all he does well and to win in this league you need a good all around coach
                            "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

Jebus, you're not being asked to sign up for a mortgage. Just put your balls out there and say yes or no and explain why.

I said yes, because the team is playing really well on both ends but especially on the defensive end and the current 9 man rotation haven't been together for 20 games as yet. Plus you have 2 sophmores in the starting unit! There is some real potential to crack the top 5 defensively. Just imagine Chicago Bulls defense but with much better and really balanced scoring (basically Indiana). There wouldn't be a team that you couldn't beat except for maybe Miami because they have both excellent defense and much better scoring than us. It's an optimistic view, I know.

Comment

Working...
                              X