What If We Dealt DeMar And Not Rudy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What If We Dealt DeMar And Not Rudy?

I tweeted about this particular subject this morning just to hear peoples opinions. So seeing how its slow here at the moment, I thought I'd throw the topic out here as well.

So basically I just asked is anyone was curious on what this team would be like now if we dealt DeMar to Sacramento instead of Rudy? Would the after effects be the same or better or worse? Curious to know our member's thoughts on this.

Another interesting stat line I read via our blog this morning was the Raptors record when DeMar shoots over 20+ shots per game as oppose to under 20. The Raptors record when DeRozan takes 20+ shots is 2-5. When he takes 19 or fewer, we're 11-3.

I wouldn't expect the effects to be too much different. We had 2 inefficient chuckers and got rid of one.

But contractually speaking, there's no doubt that Gay was the right contract to move.

Comment

I'll admit I was pushing for DeRozan to be traded in the offseason (for a traditional starting PF such as Millsap) and Gay to be kept. I fully believed they were redundant and there wouldn't be enough balls to go around.

It seems the argument that Gay & DeRozan (and Lowry) couldn't co-exist has been proven true, since all three players excel when having the ball in their hands. I think dealing either wing would have enabled more ball movement throughout the team and given Lowry more opportunity to play his natural game. I actually think dealing Gay wound up being the better move though, since DeRozan has never been as ball-dominant as Gay, so the impact on both Lowry and team ball movement of trading DeRozan likely wouldn't have been as significant.

Moving forward, I still think DeRozan has more trade value (considering talent, potential, age, salary, contract status and reputation), so keeping him (whether to play or as a trade asset) should prove to be the better long-term choice for Toronto.

Comment

Gay's contract would limit the number of players we got back, thereby reducing the depth and effectiveness of our bench.

He would still struggle as the teams no. 1 option, and his efficiency would still be moderate to mediocre.

T.Ross & JV would still get the playing time they are getting now.

We'd be Minus a Salmons or PattyPat so that's a good -10 to -18 points a night of effective shooting.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
          I wouldn't expect the effects to be too much different. We had 2 inefficient chuckers and got rid of one.

But contractually speaking, there's no doubt that Gay was the right contract to move.
          Contractually I'm obviously happy to see him gone, but its his ability to close games is where I miss him the most. Something DeMar tries way too hard to do, only to fail.

Comment

I still think Gay was the right one to move. Fact is, he's got a bad rep around the league whereas Demar's is more of a "he's not that efficient but he's young and getting better!"

There's quite a few coaches that still gush about Demar. Gay was traded because there was no way he was going to get traded and holy crap he actually got traded. Demar could get traded and actually net us something substantial.
            @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Dr. James Naismith wrote: View Post
              Contractually I'm obviously happy to see him gone, but its his ability to close games is where I miss him the most. Something DeMar tries way too hard to do, only to fail.
              i agree to an extent but why is Demar being asked to close games out? Lowry's SO much better at it, and yet...

That's on coaching.
              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

From a pure performance standpoint, I think the team is worse off with Rudy. Hard to prove that objectively but I think if you look at the defense since he left, you have a good indicator there were more problems with Rudy than his shot selection and volume shooting.

From an organizational standpoint, the team is far better off without that Gay contract. I'm not even sure you can play devil's advocate on the point cause that contract is so terrible.

I don't think you can overstate how good that Gay deal was and is for the organization. Ujiri deserves a tonne of credit for it.

Comment

I don't think DeMar being traded would have taught Gay to pass the ball.

Comment

I like Gay, but he just isn't as easy to use in a ball-movement centered offense.

Comment

I think if Demar were gone and Rudy was still here, we would be well on our way to a tank lol. From a basketball standpoint, I think it was the right move. Rudy wouldn't move the ball as well as Demar. The black hole characterisation is much more applicable to Rudy than Demar. And I think our defense would be much worse than it has been since he got traded. Although he is probably a better defender than Demar, I doubt he buys into the team concept like Demar has. Also, I think Demar is a greater positive than Rudy in the locker room. It was Rudy that banned stat sheets right? lol, what a joke.

And from a team management standpoint, it was clearly the right move...and that obviously doesn't require explanation.

Comment

Keeping with this year's bizarro NBA, everything was going along so smoothly until Gay was traded and the exact opposite of what was expected to happen, happened...

All joking aside, as noted in my first post in this thread, I do think it was the best move for the Raptors. Clearing off his salary (and resolving the uncertainty) and acquiring four assets (2 decent players, 1 intriguing contract and 1 expiring contract for next season) was a good move by MU. Plus, DeRozan is still an asset, likely even move valuable than he was earlier in the season.
                        Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Wed Jan 22, 2014, 01:07 PM.

Comment

JawsGT wrote: View Post
                          I think if Demar were gone and Rudy was still here, we would be well on our way to a tank lol. From a basketball standpoint, I think it was the right move. Rudy wouldn't move the ball as well as Demar. The black hole characterisation is much more applicable to Rudy than Demar. And I think our defense would be much worse than it has been since he got traded. Although he is probably a better defender than Demar, I doubt he buys into the team concept like Demar has. Also, I think Demar is a greater positive than Rudy in the locker room. It was Rudy that banned stat sheets right? lol, what a joke.

And from a team management standpoint, it was clearly the right move...and that obviously doesn't require explanation.
                          to be fair, i dont think anyone expected demar to start moving the ball either after the rudy gay trade. too bad that pretty much stopped the past 4 games.

so far the only real outcome is that rudy has proven he can actually still shoot, and the raptors are once again showing more false hope.

Comment

As long as your leading scorer is taking 18 shots per game and getting just 1.17 points per shot, your team is going to struggle.

In the last 5 games DeRozan has actually taken 20 shots per game with just 1.03 points per shot to show for it.

As for sending DeRozan to Sacramento versus Rudy, I don't think it would have been in Raptors best interests. Rudy has been served a giant piece of humble pie. In his defense he has responded very well. Toronto does not have two big time scorers that Sacramento doe (Thomas and Cousins) nor do the Raptors have same calibre of coach.

In the end, the trade was the best for everyone. I'm hopeful DeRozan is dealt before trade deadline and Lowry becomes sign and trade bait over summer.

Comment

I don't think Masai's original goal was to make the team better...
                              A wise man once said: F*ck Brooklyn!

Comment

Working...
                              X