• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A hypothetical Let's Get Vince Carter trade

TO MILWAUKEE: Samuel Dalembert, Ricky Ledo, Dallas' 2016 first-rounder
    TO DALLAS: Larry Sanders, Dwight Buycks
    TO TORONTO: Vince Carter, Bernard James

Dallas is rumoured to be interested in Sanders (the idea being Rick Carlisle can turn him into the next Tyson Chandler), whom Milwaukee wants to move and get draft picks. Because Sanders is poison-pilled because of his extension, Dallas has to be able to absorb $9m of salary. They can do this by moving Dalembert, Carter, James and Ledo. We take Carter with our trade exception in a technically-separate trade to make some room, then Dallas moves everybody else for Sanders. Milwaukee gets a first-rounder, a team-option in Dalembert which they can exercise if they like, and a young prospect in Ledo who's promising but getting no playtime in Dallas because the guard rotation there is way too stacked. Dallas gets Sanders and Buycks, plus room to sign a veteran to a mid-year minimum contract for their playoff run. And we get Vince - a scoring wing we desperately need - for the net expenditure of Dwight Buycks, so we give up next to nothing.

That looks very interesting and well thought out, I like it a lot.

I've no idea what's the Bucks asking price for Larry Sanders. Maybe it's something like this, or maybe they'd want at least a lottery pick. Who knows. If Ujiri was running them, I imagine he'd ask for some 50 picks, at least two of them in the lottery. Or even more likely he wouldn't trade him at all. A 2016 1st and some expirings for Sanders would be so cheap. Sure, he has some problems, contract is long, but still, this would be a great gamble for the Mavs.

As for the Raptors, history aside, Vince is an upgrade for the bench. Bernard James is a nice 5th big who will block some shots, grab boards, play hard and tough. A nice culture guy who can give a few solid defensive minutes when necessary. I think every team should have a few people like that at the end of the bench.
    Last edited by BobLoblaw; Wed Jan 22, 2014, 12:42 PM.

Comment

Lets not
      @sweatpantsjer

Comment

I'm trying to figure out why Toronto is needed in this trade. We trade Buycks and get Vince Carter and Bernard James? I think a 3rd team can be found that would give up more IMO.

Comment

tucas wrote: View Post
          I'm trying to figure out why Toronto is needed in this trade. We trade Buycks and get Vince Carter and Bernard James? I think a 3rd team can be found that would give up more IMO.
          It's about making salaries work. Larry Sanders is a rookie with an extension, and trades are weird with those. From Milwaukee's point of view, his salary is 3 mil, but from Dallas point of view, his salary is 9 mil. So Milwaukee can trade him for Dalembert + picks straight up, but Dallas can't do that deal, they have to add more salary (e.g. Vince). But if they add Vince, then Milwaukee can't do it anymore, because Milwaukee now get too much salary back.

So they need a 3rd team with either cap space or trade exceptions. I think it's reasonable to get Vince/Bernard for essentially cap space in this situation. There aren't many teams with cap space or exceptions that can help them make it work, and fewer teams that would want to help.

Vince has some value for playoff contending teams, he's still a very solid rotation player. But bad teams won't take him, unless Dallas adds a pick or something. Among playoff contending teams, it seems that only Toronto, Denver and GSW have big enough exceptions to make this work. GSW doesn't need Vince. Denver could use him, but they are fighting for those last playoff spots with Dallas, so Dallas might prefer to trade with Toronto.

I love this trade, a lot. It makes sense all around. Of course, that's assuming Milwaukee is willing to just get rid of Sanders for cap space and a 2016 1st.

Comment

Working...
          X