What is your style?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is your style?

There has been a lot of talk on this board about how the Raptors should become a contending team (ie tank, internal growth, etc). This has been a pretty volatile conversation at times and this thread is not to be about that.

What I want to know is:

What style of basketball would you like to see from your championship calibre Raptors? I am curious to see what posters want to see from their team game in and game out and what style they think will give us the best chances in the playoffs.

Personally, I want to see the offense run dominantly out of the low and high post, and the ball should go inside to either big on every possession. I want these bigs to be surrounded with three point shooters at both wing positions. At PG I want a player who is responsible at getting the ball into the paint every opportunity as well as adept at getting into the paint. Off the bench I would like to have PnR type bigs and guards in order to give us a different look to change up defenses.

This would mean a slower pace to the game, however I find post play both entertaining and effective. In the playoffs, when the game slows down due to tighter defenses, having those dominant post players on the low block will attract the double and open up the game for the three point shooters. This allows us to dictate the pace of the game and the style of play, which is a huge step into becoming a contending team.

Defensively, I want our wings to be able to pressure three point shooters and force them into shooting the mid range (similar to Indiana). This means that both wing positions need to be athletic, long, and laterally quick, with good close out instincts and quick rotations.

That's what I want, what do you guys want??

Just professional.

this means ball movement, and keen, aware and communicative defence.

when the time is right, maybe a few grissly vets to set tone...

Comment

I want a Popovich disciple as coach.

Comment

Pass heavy offence, absolute lock-down defence.

all with a professional persona emanating from each player.
        The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

5 POWER 3s on the court at all times
          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

If we could have 5 power shaqs in shaqs prime, that could be fun too

Comment

KHD wrote: View Post
              I want a Popovich disciple as coach.
              That stands up to all of his players if warranted.

Comment

Defence defence defence. When I look back to previous lost playoff series it all came down to defence.

Comment

Craig wrote: View Post
                  If we could have 5 power shaqs in shaqs prime, that could be fun too
                  Haha who would dribble?

Also it would be a hack a shaq fest late game...could be very entertaining for sure

Comment

The nets would be crushed and broken within minutes after a constant barrage of posterizing dunks and bricked free throws.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_8_7gorEug
                    I know this may be a bit controversial but I think the Raptors have proven that they're the best team in the NBA from Canada
                    -random Facebook user. 2016

Comment

Because it's so difficult to obtain superstars, the best style is that which compliments the strengths of the roster. The GM's job is to make sure the players he's obtaining fit the system he values.

I feel that the most important side of the ball is defence. In the playoffs if you're not a strong defensive team then you're dead in the water if your guys get cold. Strong defence can keep you in games during the coldest of scoring droughts.

Sent from my Note 3 using Tapatalk

Comment

doggy
                        For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

I like the idea of running the offense through the posts. That would be the main half-court set for sure.

However, I would love a team that can push the ball and get out in transition first and foremost. Guys like Ross and DeMar are more than capable of running a George Karl-like run-and-gun offense.

I'd also like to see a consistent defensive identity, similar to one the team has right now.
                          Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                            Because it's so difficult to obtain superstars, the best style is that which compliments the strengths of the roster. The GM's job is to make sure the players he's obtaining fit the system he values
                            Without a doubt.

However I was thinking this thread would encompass the idea that if you were building a roster, what style of play would you like to see? (ie you are piecing together players to fit a system)

thead wrote: View Post
                            doggy
                            I didn't even think of the sex jokes that could cum from the thread title. Well played sir, well played

isaacthompson wrote: View Post
                            I like the idea of running the offense through the posts. That would be the main half-court set for sure.

However, I would love a team that can push the ball and get out in transition first and foremost. Guys like Ross and DeMar are more than capable of running a George Karl-like run-and-gun offense.
                            I don't think you'll be able to craft a roster that can play both styles at once...Even the Suns were never much of a post up team, and they had Amare in his prime. I like the running game for the regular season, but it worries me when it gets to the playoffs.

The only way I could see both styles working at the same time if you had a great post up 2 guard, 3 shooters (pg, sg, pf) and a legit, mobile big man...could be interesting drawing the double down onto the guard and kicking it out from there...

Comment

OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
                              Personally, I want to see the offense run dominantly out of the low and high post, and the ball should go inside to either big on every possession. I want these bigs to be surrounded with three point shooters at both wing positions. At PG I want a player who is responsible at getting the ball into the paint every opportunity as well as adept at getting into the paint.
                              Pop, is that you? lol.

Comment

Working...
                              X