Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shrub wrote: View Post
    Here's a question worth asking:

If Masai doesn't get what he's asking for, does he eventually make the trade anyway?

I imagine that if this trade goes down, it will be right at the deadline at the climax of an epic chicken match.
    In short no. Why would he? It's not like you are selling a house to buy a new one you really like and you have a deadline to get it. So you are ready to give up 10K from asking price, just so you can get your dream home. You do not give up your house to live in a dump. Much better to just stay where you are.

Comment

dzoni71 wrote: View Post
      In short no. Why would he? It's not like you are selling a house to buy a new one you really like and you have a deadline to get it. So you are ready to give up 10K from asking price, just so you can get your dream home. You do not give up your house to live in a dump. Much better to just stay where you are.
      Thing is, a couple months from now you'll be living on the streets...

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
        Otherwise, I think MU will take the best available net-positive trade.
        I tend to agree.
        Basketball-wise, Lowry has been giving us everything we could ask for.
        Either Masai is wary of the contract year, or doesn't expect Lowry to stay.

That analogy doesn't really work.
        It's a man, not a house.
        Houses can't walk - Lowry can.

Comment

That analogy doesn't really work.
          It's a man, not a house.
          Houses can't walk - Lowry can.
          The analogy is on the return, not the object. Dump is what from what we hear is being offered for Lowry. Dream house is what we really want (prospects, first rounders). Why do we settle on a dump just because no one offers you what you want by the deadline? It's obvious Lowry can really help a competitor, but what do you see being offered for Lowry can help the Raptors anytime in the future - 2nd rounders? Really small chance. Expirings? Lowry is already that. Cap relief? We are not in luxury territory. The only way I see this happening if Lowry says I am not resigning!

Comment

LA will have cap-room, but they have $35 million commited to just two players in the backcourt (Nash and Kobe). Do you really think Lowry will be their no.1 priority in free-agency? Would they commit $10 million of cap-space to Lowry? If so, I think they will be looking to bring back Kwame to another LA run, because that my friends is what you can afford to get for a big-man on a non-contender. What good front-court player would want to sign with the Lakers at all if they can't offer money and they can't offer contention? Even the taxes in California are not pretty.
            DanH wrote: View Post
            If Lowry goes to LAL, it will almost certainly be in a S+T for Nash and their 2014 pick, as stated above.
            What Dan said.

Kobe $22.5M
            Lowry $9M

$30M left to fill out the roster plus $2.5M top up exception.

Comment

The analogy is on the return, not the object. Dump is what from what we hear is being offered for Lowry. Dream house is what we really want (prospects, first rounders). Why do we settle on a dump just because no one offers you what you want by the deadline? It's obvious Lowry can really help a competitor, but what do you see being offered for Lowry can help the Raptors anytime in the future - 2nd rounders? Really small chance. Expirings? Lowry is already that. Cap relief? We are not in luxury territory. The only way I see this happening if Lowry says I am not resigning!
              I don't think that's true.
              Where did you hear it was a dump?
              Clearly that's not going to happen with the way Lowry is playing.

Think about the Gay trade - we got a lot of useful pieces that don't fit any of the categories you listed.
              We could also get pieces that we could then flip to other teams.

In reply to the bold, I think that's the whole point.

Comment

If Lowry truly does want to test free agency, then I think it would be great to trade him now, get some great assets, and resign him in the summer.
                I know this may be a bit controversial but I think the Raptors have proven that they're the best team in the NBA from Canada
                -random Facebook user. 2016

Comment

Think about the Gay trade - we got a lot of useful pieces that don't fit any of the categories you listed.

Yeah the whole thing started with the report that Ujiri is asking for a big return on Lowry. No one said anything about dumping him.

Comment

The only trade scenario I like involving Lowry is with the Lakers as mentioned. This is the only possibility I see of us getting a 1st rounder, if that is the goal. I do not think any team prior to the deadline will part with a 1st round pick for a possible rental especially considering they would only have him for less than half a season + playoffs. Remember, any team we trade him to will be in the same situation we are as he will test the FA market in the offseason. It's a big risk for any team to trade assets for a guy that may go elsewhere next season, so I see an offseason sign and trade being the best and maybe only option for the Raps to get something decent out of Lowry. Every game he plays for the Raps is one less game he could have played for the other team, and as the games go by it seems less likely to me that those teams would be willing to depart with something of value in order to nab an expiring Lowry.

Personally, I'd like to see MU resign the guy.

Comment

The only deal I would take you mentioned is the Houston deal, but no way McHale takes Lowry back.
                      If MU opts for rebuild one deal I see is Collison+Barnes+1st rounder for Lowry.
                      The 1st rounder is probably going to be in the 20s.
                      Collison is a decent piece, but Barnes has no upside, and is on the books for another couple of seasons.

Comment

2kfeen wrote: View Post
                        The 1st rounder is probably going to be in the 20s.
                        Collison is a decent piece, but Barnes has no upside, and is on the books for another couple of seasons.
                        1st rounder is not going to be in the 2014 draft as LAC already gave up a 2015 first rounder. So basically, it's a 2017 first rounder. Collison can get you by, but won't win you games on his own. Barnes is kind of a guy I think the team really needs - veteran presence, tough defender, good range. Again, won't win you games, but will be a positive in the lockeroom.
                        This is all if we want a full-rebuild where we are looking to compete in no less than 4 years.

Comment

Fully wrote: View Post
                          Yeah the whole thing started with the report that Ujiri is asking for a big return on Lowry. No one said anything about dumping him.
                          Actually, I believe the whole thing started with no "report" of a single fact, or even one of those anonymous "source says" things, but a tweet about "sense around the league" guess(?). What does that "sense..." mean anyway? "Sense" among him and a few of his fellow media types? I don't know. Does anyone have any better insight to this, other than it's a babbling tweet that's simply regurgitating old "news"?

Comment

From what we have read, Raptors management has really taken two steps forward. So, what makes you think Lowry is leaving when he:
                            1. Is appreciated for the first time in his career
                            2. Will have a staring role on a team he already knows
                            3. Is not a LBJ type where 30 teams are lining up to sign him?
                            Realistically, the only way I see him gone is he is offered a starting PG spot and a offer sheet well above market value. Is this possible? Sure. Likely? No way.
                            Raptors will match for sure any deal in the 4 years $40 million range. So, to pry Lowry away you need to offer him a 4 year, $45 million offer with a guaranteed staring role. Name me two teams in the league who can offer this? Lakers? Yes they fit the bill, but having Kobe and Nash is completly unlikely. Orlando? They are not competing anytime soon. Just do not see it. Lowry can be had if we want him.

Comment

From what we have read, Raptors management has really taken two steps forward. So, what makes you think Lowry is leaving when he:
                              1. Is appreciated for the first time in his career
                              2. Will have a staring role on a team he already knows
                              3. Is not a LBJ type where 30 teams are lining up to sign him?
                              Realistically, the only way I see him gone is he is offered a starting PG spot and a offer sheet well above market value. Is this possible? Sure. Likely? No way.
                              Raptors will match for sure any deal in the 4 years $40 million range. So, to pry Lowry away you need to offer him a 4 year, $45 million offer with a guaranteed staring role. Name me two teams in the league who can offer this? Lakers? Yes they fit the bill, but having Kobe and Nash is completly unlikely. Orlando? They are not competing anytime soon. Just do not see it. Lowry can be had if we want him.
                              I agree. Plus, I don't see a significant return on Lowry prior to the deadline, certainly not enough to offset the fun and money of a playoff series or two. As far as Lowry is concerned, I think we should keep him, and if he walks in the offseason then so be it. The only type of trade that makes sense to me is one that returns a 1st rounder and/or a decent prospect (preferably the and), but I don't see it happening. Taking back salary just doesn't make sense, and if you want a 1st rounder than thats what you may need to do. I think the better option is to make a run in the playoffs this season with this roster and try and resign Lowry in the offseason. If he doesn't want to play, shake hands and move on. I'm not gonna be disappointed that we didn't trade him for a bad contract and\or 2nd round pick(s) if he walks.

Really, it just comes down to if MU is planning on tanking, the possible return on a trade, and whether Lowry wants to play here or not.

Comment

I don't think Lowry would want to leave this summer
                                but what do I know
                                I wonder what we can get from a lowry maybe an uncle drew loool is that to far fetched
                                What they got to say now? Nothing they can say now. Mobbin' on the low. Winnin' on the low
                                The city embraced me, made me feel at home. The only difference [between Compton and Toronto] for me is the cold. -DeMar
                                No Where Near the South Side #WeTheNorth

Comment

Working...
                                X