Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marc Stein thinks Lowry is still being moved

Marc Stein tweeted the following this morning:

Trade rumble: Sense around league remains Toronto more likely to trade Kyle Lowry than keep him to prevent losing asset for nothing. But issue here hasn't changed: No team out there willing YET to meet Raps' asking price for PG who, nice as he's playin, can bolt in free agency.

Discuss!

I think we should offer him something to keep him. Fields' contract is still God awful considering his production when he's not injured. If anyone can trade Landry to dump salary it is Masai. Get it done. You can't buy chemistry in this league and Lowry has already clicked with the Raps.

Comment

Good
      @sweatpantsjer

Comment

I think every player is on the table. I think the reason why we didn't tank this year is because there are already a lot of teams trying to unload proven performers and the market is skewed this year compared to others.

I believe MU still wants to rebuild this team, and as is well known, the draft is one of the best ways to do so.

The 2014 draft has been all the hype, but it's looking more and more like an average class with great depth that may be reduced by several freshmen opting not to declare.

"Tankers" in the "pawn everything off for nothing so we get a high draft pick" aren't looking past this year. If our assets will return more by trading them next year, then start the tank next year. If we get assets back, then our time at the bottom will be noticeably shorter.
        "Bruno?
        Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
        He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

Man, I just feel like DD's injury and potential, if not imminent loss to Brooklyn tonight is a sign that perhaps the Cinderella story may come to an end with this speculation. Sorry if I'm being negative.
          “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

stooley wrote: View Post
            I believe MU still wants to rebuild this team, and as is well known, the draft is one of the best ways to do so.
            I agree 100%. Despite the results, I still believe the Gay trade (and earlier Lowry rumors) was an indication of MU's preference to rebuild the team his way, starting this season. I also fully support a smart rebuild, not an all-or-nothing rebuild (ie: asset dump, aka "tank").

It will definitely be interesting for Raptors fans leading up to the trade deadline, given MU's secrecy when it comes to his true intentions for the team.

Comment

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap...ing-Kyle-Lowry
              "Masai WILL win us a championship"
              - Tim Leiweke

Ujiri: "One thing I can say for sure is that we will not be stuck in the middle."

Reporter: "How can you say that?"

Ujiri: "Because I can say that."

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                I agree 100%. Despite the results, I still believe the Gay trade (and earlier Lowry rumors) was an indication of MU's preference to rebuild the team his way, starting this season. I also fully support a smart rebuild, not an all-or-nothing rebuild (ie: asset dump, aka "tank").

It will definitely be interesting for Raptors fans leading up to the trade deadline, given MU's secrecy when it comes to his true intentions for the team.
                I agree. For me though, I wouldn't mind enjoying success this year, then trading players in the off season at increased value. I think the whole urgency behind the rebuild was largely caused by the hype around the 2014 draft class. As this is starting to wear off, getting good return rather than getting less wins, seems more and more important.
                "Bruno?
                He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

stooley wrote: View Post
                  I think every player is on the table. I think the reason why we didn't tank this year is because there are already a lot of teams trying to unload proven performers and the market is skewed this year compared to others.

The 2014 draft has been all the hype, but it's looking more and more like an average class with great depth that may be reduced by several freshmen opting not to declare.

"Tankers" in the "pawn everything off for nothing so we get a high draft pick" aren't looking past this year. If our assets will return more by trading them next year, then start the tank next year. If we get assets back, then our time at the bottom will be noticeably shorter.
                  Every single year people say the draft is overhyped, and by the following year are surprised at how many young prospects were uncovered.

If the plan is to rebuild, waiting for a seller's market is ridiculous. Lowry's appreciating play is offset by the decreasing time value on his contract. In a month he expires. Other players can be injured at any time, as we saw with Andrea and Jose... and now Demar. Not to mention that we could be giving the sophomores all the minutes they can handle to help their development.

I just hope that if Lowry is dealt, the marginal value we obtain is worth the spots it cost us by playing chicken with the rest of the league.

Comment

sense is to stein as sources is to broussard.

Comment

Scraptor wrote: View Post
                      Every single year people say the draft is overhyped, and by the following year are surprised at how many young prospects were uncovered.

If the plan is to rebuild, waiting for a seller's market is ridiculous. Lowry's appreciating play is offset by the decreasing time value on his contract. In a month he expires. Other players can be injured at any time, as we saw with Andrea and Jose... and now Demar. Not to mention that we could be giving the sophomores all the minutes they can handle to help their development.

I just hope that if Lowry is dealt, the marginal value we obtain is worth the spots it cost us by playing chicken with the rest of the league.
                      Bold 1: this is kind of my point. the draft is going to be strong, but it's not the only draft, there's one every year, and 2006 is the exception. there's already some talk about the 2015 frosh and that some 2014 freshmen may stay an extra year (if not embiid and parker then guys like gordon and lavine)

Bold 2: this is an opinion and I disagree. the offers for lowry were terrible. wouldn't an extra first round draft pick in 2015 or 2016 be worth pushing the rebuild back to next year? especially if we get to enjoy good basketball this year?

Bold 3: yes this is true, but the same goes for assets that we are trading for. If harrison barnes suffers a brutal knee injury then he doesn't seem like the best return anymore for Lowry.

Final Bold: this falls into the 2014 be all end all mentality that I was calling out in my post.

I understand your point of view, it's one I used to hold, and one many people still do. It's not insane or misinformed or stupid. I just think that there's no point on rushing the rebuild. Winning the league is a crapshoot, so if we can get some decent basketball this year while strengthening our position from which to rebuild, I'm thrilled.
                      "Bruno?
                      He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

If this is true, Masai doesn't give a shit as to what happens this season. It's too late to get a high pick, and trading Lowry would kill playoff aspirations. Definitely a big picture type of guy, which isn't a bad thing

Comment

It's interesting, because during that one game they were talking to MU and Rod Black (i think?) asked if with the way things were going would they be buyers at the trade deadline and MU just smiled and went "uhhhhhhhhh..." and then said something along the lines of he didn't want to say anything

i always forget english isn't MU's first language and it throws me off when he talks
                          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

the reality is the east is SO bad even if they do move Lowry at the deadline we'll still probably be a 6 or 7 seed.

making the playoffs and coming away from the draft with a Ennis or Lavine type player wouldn't be a bad year at all, regardless of how we all thought the year would go.
                            @sweatpantsjer

Comment

wallz wrote: View Post
                              If this is true, Masai doesn't give a shit as to what happens this season. It's too late to get a high pick, and trading Lowry would kill playoff aspirations. Definitely a big picture type of guy, which isn't a bad thing
                              I don't think it's happening and am not advocating for it, but if the Raptors were to trade Lowry (in a future-looking deal) and DeRozan is either injured for awhile or traded, there's still plenty of time for the Raptors to sink to at least the 6-8 range.

6th worst record - 21.5% of drafting top-3
                              7th - 15%
                              8th - 10%

I agree that finishing in the bottom-5 is not really a viable option. I'm just pointing out that if MU does still prefer to rebuild (or considers the 7-8 seed in the EC as "no man's land"), there's still plenty of time.

At this point, all any of us can do is guess about MU's true intentions between now and the trade deadline.

Comment

Working...
                              X