No announcement yet.

The * to Masai's proclamation of, "We will not be caught in no man's land."

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm in the camp of "let's-keep-moving-forward-and-get-to-the-second-round-of-the-playoffs-and-then-resign-Lowry-and-draft-Ennis-if-he's-available-at-number-20-or-if-Lowry-doesn't-want-to-resign-then-sign-and-trade-him-to-LA-for-their-7th-pick-and-then-pair-that-pick-with-our-20th-to-move-up-and-draft-Wiggins."

Is there an avatar for that?
    “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

Chisholm just wrote a great article on the front page that I think is very relevant to this thread.
      "Bruno?
      Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
      He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
        Good point.

I hope they get back to 'normal' soon. I disagree on last two games. Clippers and Nets were brutal defensive games, in my opinion.
        But not because of Amir and Jonas. Bad defence for the past two games comes down to two wings, Crawford and Pierce, going off for season-best nights. So, were these outlier games? Or have other teams figured something that can let one of their abuse us...
        "Stop eating your sushi."
        "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
        "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
        - Jack Armstrong

Comment

3inthekeon wrote: View Post
          Personally, I don't care if the Raptors trade Lowry or not. But I very much believe few, if any, of those suggesting Lowry be traded prior to the deadline is and has been a season ticket holder for the past few years. To use the old analogy, we may supply an egg, but it's the season ticket holders who supply the bacon. Management could explain it away if the team spirals downward, but as long as the team is winning it will be close to an impossible sell.
          Hi Kevin! welcome to RR
          For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
            I'm in the camp of "let's-keep-moving-forward-and-get-to-the-second-round-of-the-playoffs-and-then-resign-Lowry-and-draft-Ennis-if-he's-available-at-number-20-or-if-Lowry-doesn't-want-to-resign-then-sign-and-trade-him-to-LA-for-their-7th-pick-and-then-pair-that-pick-with-our-20th-to-move-up-and-draft-Wiggins."

Is there an avatar for that?

Sneaky, sneaky

Comment

I don't think the Lakers are giving us a top 10 pick for Lowry in a sign and trade. We might be able to get something back from them if that's how the scenario plays out, but not that.

Comment

i'll be shocked if the Lakers make the pick and keep the player it's not top 3-5. it's just not how they operate. and with Kobe with only 2 years left (that's assuming he even makes it that long) they're going to do everything they can to make the team competitive now.
                @sweatpantsjer

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
                  i'll be shocked if the Lakers make the pick and keep the player it's not top 3-5. it's just not how they operate. and with Kobe with only 2 years left (that's assuming he even makes it that long) they're going to do everything they can to make the team competitive now.
                  I kind of looked at it the other way - with $25 million dollars wrapped up in Kobe the next couple of years and their eyes on another max level guy to pair with him, I think they'd want to hold on to a relatively low cost and controllable player that could very easily step in and contribute right off the bat. I'm sure what their pick ends up being and who is left on the board will dictate a lot of what happens.

Comment

To trade Lowry or to keep Lowry is really a gamble. If you trade him you have a 100% chance at getting back at least something of value be it LeBron James or new towels and shower supplies. Truth is it's going to be pretty tough getting anything with at least 70% of Lowrys value because he is an expiring. So in other words if we trade him we have a 100% chance to get back something like 60% of what Lowry is worth (though some would say (including myself) that Kyle is to some degree priceless at the moment).

If we don't trade him, I'd say that we have about a 70% chance of landing him back, with the advantage being that we do have some reasonable cash and that this situation here in T-dot has really been working both for him and the team making it more attractive. The 30% being there to consider the cash crazy teams out there like the Lakers who have pockets deeper than Marianas trench and could offer him 20M/yr (not saying that they would).

So to sum it up either we have a 100% shot at landing 60% of Lowry comparable talent, by trading him. Or a 70% shot at landing 100% of Lowry comparable talent (that being Kyle himself), by keeping him.

To express it mathematically.

Trade vs. Keep
                    60/100 < 70/100
                    =
                    0.6 < 0.7

Therefore I say keep.

(Though the coefficients I chose are highly debatable)
                    Last edited by mike, prague; Tue Jan 28, 2014, 01:51 PM.

Comment

Fully wrote: View Post
                      I kind of looked at it the other way - with $25 million dollars wrapped up in Kobe the next couple of years and their eyes on another max level guy to pair with him, I think they'd want to hold on to a relatively low cost and controllable player that could very easily step in and contribute right off the bat. I'm sure what their pick ends up being and who is left on the board will dictate a lot of what happens.
                      i'm not saying that isn't the smart way of doing it, i'm just saying it's the lakers way of doing it.
                      @sweatpantsjer

Comment

I don't think the Lakers are giving us a top 10 pick for Lowry in a sign and trade. We might be able to get something back from them if that's how the scenario plays out, but not that.
                        Shedding Nash is the kicker.

Who in the league would:
                        a) take back Nash at this point, and
                        b) have a player such as Lowry and multiple 2nds to offer in exchange?

You might be right though. Who knows? I believe the Lakers are going all in on winning now though.

Comment

mike, prague wrote: View Post
                          To trade Lowry or to keep Lowry is really a gamble. If you trade him you have a 100% chance at getting back at least something of value be it LeBron James or new towels and shower supplies. Truth is it's going to be pretty tough getting anything with at least 70% of Lowrys value because he is an expiring. So in other words if we trade him we have a 100% chance to get back something like 60% of what Lowry is worth (though some would say (including myself) that Kyle is to some degree priceless at the moment).

If we don't trade him, I'd say that we have about a 70% chance of landing him back, with the advantage being that we do have some reasonable cash and that this situation here in T-dot has really been working both for him and the team making it more attractive. The 30% being there to consider the cash crazy teams out there like the Lakers who have pockets deeper than Marianas trench and could offer him 20M/yr (not saying that they would).

So to sum it up either we have a 100% shot at landing 60% of Lowry comparable talent, by trading him. Or a 70% shot at landing 100% of Lowry comparable talent (that being Kyle himself), by keeping him.

To express it mathematically.

Trade vs. Keep
                          60/100 < 70/100
                          =
                          0.6 < 0.7

Therefore I say keep.

(Though the coefficients I chose are highly debatable)
                          I think you have to keep him as well, hope this year produces a strong playoff push, and see what happens on the trade front or in free agency this summer.

Reality is Luol Deng only returned financial relief, a heavily protected 1st, and a 2015 and 2016 2nd round pick. Deng is a solid solid wing.

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
                            i'm not saying that isn't the smart way of doing it, i'm just saying it's the lakers way of doing it.
                            Yeah fair enough. Jim Buss has strung together a pretty solid string of boneheaded moves in a relatively short tenure, so I'm sure he's more than capable of panic-trading a pick that they suffered through a miserable season just to get.

Another variable I think could play a part will be whether they'll able to land a big name free agent outright. If they make a splash that way then I think they're less likely to move the pick.

Comment

I tend to look at this way as well. The Lakers have a good opportunity to draft a quality player that shouldn't inhibit their plans to compete sooner rather than later if that's what they want to do. The pick is obviously a significant trade chip for landing a quality player, but the guy they draft may also be able to help the team next year, and if he turns out to be a pretty good player someone they can continue to build with after Kobe leaves.

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
                                Few things:

1. Again, there is massive cognitive dissonance here. A Raps team with no Lowry, no Derozan and Andrew Wiggins (for example) has way, way more question marks than the current squad.

2. If you believe the Raps already have two good young players and the ability to lure meaningful free agents, then why in the world would you advocate a tank? Wouldn't it simply make far more sense to try and attract a premier free agent from a position of strength?

3. How are the current Raps mediocre? They are 17-9 since the Gay deal. That projects to a 50-win season.

This team has flaws and, no, it doesn't have a Lebron James. But, again, this roster was an absolute mess only 6 months ago. In the interim, the organization has shed two horrible contracts and anchor-weight players, re-made its entire front office and coaching staff, completely gutted its bench, and starts two enormously important players who are under 22 - and they have done all this while dramatically improving as a ball club.

You are starting to remind me of the guy that pops up on the front page of the Globe and Mail every time the market tanks, "Genius Analyst Predicted Bear Market". What they don't tell you is that they guy has been predicting a bear market every day for 4 years and is only finally right today. So, yeah, two years from now you might be right that 2013-14 was a bad year for the organization but, in the meantime, you've missed out on any success in the interim.

Can't we acknowledge all the good that has been here in such a short time?
                                That post deserves a bump! With the very entertaining basketball, while winning, that this team is producing, coupled with the passion and commitment we're seeing from the whole team, It's beyond me that some "fans" of the team insist on doing all they can to tear the team down, never mind continue to advocate blowing it up for a wish and a prayer. It blows me away. Shit, even a toddler would be able to see that this team, with this PG, and with this coach (great call on that inbound defense last night!!!), and with so much youth, has something special going on. Must suck to not be able to enjoy it (the occasional lip service doesn't count).

Comment

Working...
                                X