Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Now I Know Why They Call Bargnani "Ill Mago"!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would rather have Ty Thomas than Bargnani. I think Ty Thomas is an underrated player, a good-to-very good defender + solid rebounder + good complementary offensive player. Whereas I'd judge Bargnani as a poor defender + very poor rebounder + solid scorer (scores at a good clip + is efficient but not skilled enough at creating his own shot which limits his ability as a go-to scorer). As a result, I'd rather have Ty Thomas.

I also think Ty Thomas has a lot more likely to realize potential than Bargnani (becoming a very good-to-excellent defender + good-to-very good rebounder + very good complementary offensive player). I am far less certain (optimistic?) about Bargnani's development.

But I do agree with the main point -- I have no issue with Colangelo drafting Bargnani. He was a solid pick given the situation.

The problem I have had with the Bargnani + Raptors situation has been Colangelo keeping him all these years and then handing him a hefty contract extension this summer. The draft pick and the first two years of Bargnani's career, fine, that's fine. Bargnani remaining on the roster past that point? I didn't like that decision by BC.
    nbaroundtable

Comment

LBF wrote: View Post
      way to flip out and start blaming guys because your team si doing bad as of late. you either blame it on the whole team or maybe even blame it on yourself for abondoning ship because of a little bump in the road.

when will toronto fans learn to chill, you wonder why no one wants to play here. well, the fasn are nice when your winning they put you under a microscope if your having a flippin bad game or hit a slump.

sheez, i don't think jack nicholson is flipping that his lakers have lost 3 in a row. take a chill pill.
      If u dont like what i write on here than why are u posting on this thread.
      "Hello, Hello !.....You Play to Win the GAME!!"

Herm Edwards

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
        Let's forget everything that happened in Thomas' past, let's just judge his career on the last nine games. Everything we need to know we can find out there. At the same time let's judge Bargnani on the entire season to date.

If nine games is enough to judge someone's career then Bargnani has been a bust and a stud about two dozen times now.
        When Bargnani changes teams then we can try your suggestion. There are countless of NBA players whose game has been elevated tremendously after they changed teams.

A couple of great Pistons that I can think of were are Ben Wallace who was a scrub before he went to the Pistons the first time. Another is C. Billups who was also a scrub before he went to the Pistons and could arguably be considered the best PG in the NBA over the last decade when you include his leadership. I think he is working on 7 straight Conference Finals and will probably get 8 straight this year which I believe would either tie the NBA record or break it. Neither Denver nor Detroit has made it past the first round in the playoffs over the last 10 years without him leading the way.

There are numerous other examples. I am sure you can think of a number of players who significantly improved their game to come closer to achieving or exceeding their potential once they switched teams.

Yes 9 games is a small sample but I think his play will only continue to get better under Larry Brown.
        Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
        Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Buddahfan wrote: View Post
          When Bargnani changes teams then we can try your suggestion. There are countless of NBA players whose game has been elevated tremendously after they changed teams.
          Or you could actually wait until Thomas has significant games under his belt with his new team. Yeah guys sometimes elevate their game after a trade and sometimes its short lived. I can use a good Raptors example. Jalen Rose and Donyell Marshall. When those two showed up they ran wild for the first month and then came back to reality. Maybe it's an ego thing or maybe it's something else but some guys "wake up" for a little while after being traded only to slip back to reality. It happens so many times that I cannot be sold on nine games.

Buddahfan wrote: View Post
          A couple of great Pistons that I can think of were are Ben Wallace who was a scrub before he went to the Pistons the first time.
          First of all Wallace went undrafted. Anyone who doesn't get drafted, who makes the league, has a huge accomplishment under their belt. Second, if you call back to back seasons, prior to going to the Pistons, of around 25min 8 rebounds, 2 blocks and 4 points stiff numbers then half the league is comprised of stiffs.

And for every Billups, there is a handful of guys who fade away given time.
          Last edited by Apollo; Wed Mar 10, 2010, 12:57 PM. Reason: Wallace pt.

Comment

Working...
          X