How Can We Upgrade This Offseason?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ceez wrote: View Post
    Chad Ford in his latest chat just said Kyrie wants out... Fascinating.

Lowry and pieces for Kyrie and pieces? He'd certainly be the big fish Leiweke and Co are looking for...
    Even if Cleveland decides to move him, Lowry as the centerpiece will be a non-starter, I imagine. You'd have to offer the better part of the team. Jonas, Lowry, picks. This is someone with superstar talent AND 21 years old on top of it. He's going to be a restricted free agent too, so they aren't desperate. He wouldn't be cheaper than Carmelo or DWill. I think he would be more expensive.

If it's just Lowry + smaller pieces / picks, then sure. Lowry is having a better year but he can leave. Besides, upside.

Comment

2015 is going to be a great FA class for big-men. You've got Millsap, Boozer, Varejao, Asik, M.Gasol, Koufas, Chandler, Davis, Aldridge, R. Lopez; plus the following guys all have player options or ETOs: Jefferson (P), B. Lopez (P), Love (P), T. Young (ETO). And that's not including Blatche, McRoberts, Arthur, Mullens, Randolph, Andersen, Bosh, Bargnani, Stoudemire, and Duncan, all of whom have options in 2014 that, if picked up, would make them UFAs in 2015.

Plus, Amir and Hansborough will both be expiring that year (assuming Johnson's option is picked up this year). So, if Ujiri decides that he needs to make major changes to our bigs, there's no better time to do it than 2015 offseason. I'd like a stop-gap backup C in the meantime, but a serviceable vet is all it needs to be.

And I'm on-board with drafting a PG this year. Even if Ennis is gone before we pick, there are still a lot of guys there that have good upside without being long-term projects. I'm particularly intrigued by Christon; his shot needs work, but that's usually the easiest thing for a player to fix, and I think his upside is higher than any of the other available PGs, except for Ennis.

That leaves the wings as the one position that it's hard to figure out how to address. Without great trade assets or significant cap space, I'd try to find a young UFA wing who might be able to grow into a starter role. Two guys who fit that bill are Aminu and Henry.

Comment

TRex wrote: View Post
        The Cavs are like the Edmonton Oilers of basketball. Bunch of high draft picks, 1st overalls. But they never win.

To all the pro-tankers here. Just look at the Cleveland Cavaliers.
        Wouldn't it be wiser to say look at Chris grant and the front office.

They setup perfectly except their execution has been awful.

No matter how you build decisions are what ultimately matter.

Good decisions = success
        Bad decisions = failure

(Injuries not counted)

Comment

I recently read people associated with cavs said Kyrie changed when he returned from ASG last season. Too much too soon it appears.

Comment

But the talk of Kyrie is exactly why raps should be collecting assets.

To land a big fish via trade the type of assets toronto has does nothing for a ebuilding team.

Lowry is an UFA.
            DD can opt out in 2 seasons.
            Amir is UFA next year.

The pieces to land a big fish are the very pieces no one wants to include: JV Ross picks.

Comment

I think a guy like Marcus Smart can come in and have a very similar impact to that of Kyrie's, given equal minutes and opportunity.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                But the talk of Kyrie is exactly why raps should be collecting assets.

To land a big fish via trade the type of assets toronto has does nothing for a ebuilding team.

Lowry is an UFA.
                DD can opt out in 2 seasons.
                Amir is UFA next year.

The pieces to land a big fish are the very pieces no one wants to include: JV Ross picks.
                Do you consider Kyrie a big fish? Do you like him?
                “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                  I think a guy like Marcus Smart can come in and have a very similar impact to that of Kyrie's, given equal minutes and opportunity.
                  Tbh i'd rather trade up for Exum or Smart than trade for Kyrie, personally.
                  @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Tbh i'd rather trade up for Exum or Smart than trade for Kyrie, personally.
                    Completely agree.
                    With the way the rules are in the NBA these days, its not hard for a talented, athletic PG to come in and do very well.

Trade up for Smart and give him the keys. I say he kills it.

Comment

Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
                      Do you consider Kyrie a big fish? Do you like him?
                      He is a big fish in a small pond.

Maturity is holding him back..... And lack of experience.

I think you put Irving on toronto right now instead of Lowry and raps are a top6 lottery team.

Basically he needs to mature like Lowry had to.... But Irving is a much bigger talent.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                        He is a big fish in a small pond.

Maturity is holding him back..... And lack of experience.

I think you put Irving on toronto right now instead of Lowry and raps are a top6 lottery team.

Basically he needs to mature like Lowry had to.... But Irving is a much bigger talent.
                        No way man! top 6 lottery team? I don't think we'd be that bad without KL and noone coming back!
                        "Bruno?
                        Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
                        He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

salmon wrote: View Post
                          I don't get how DeMar keeps being under appreciated in some circles. Here's a little tidbit: everyone talks of Harden being a superstar, yet also saying we need better than DeMar. This year, DeMar's stats are virtually identical to Harden's.
                          Harden and Demar's stats are virtually identical ... except for shooting efficiency.

If you have Harden on your team, you get 4 points a game more than you get with Demar on your team.

That's the difference between a superstar and an average player.

The Stats:
                          Harden scores 29.5 points per game off 20.1 shots (or 25.5 possessions including those he gets FTs on).
                          Demar scores 27.7 points per game off 22.9 shots (or 27.4 possessions).
                          Give Demar Harden's 25.5 possessions, and he scores 25.5 points ... 4 points less than Harden does.

Comment

Kuh wrote: View Post
                            Harden and Demar's stats are virtually identical ... except for shooting efficiency.

If you have Harden on your team, you get 4 points a game more than you get with Demar on your team.

That's the difference between a superstar and an average player.

The Stats:
                            Harden scores 29.5 points per game off 20.1 shots (or 25.5 possessions including those he gets FTs on).
                            Demar scores 27.7 points per game off 22.9 shots (or 27.4 possessions).
                            Give Demar Harden's 25.5 possessions, and he scores 25.5 points ... 4 points less than Harden does.
                            Assuming, of course, that every other variable affecting the two players is exactly the same, which, of course, is not true.

Comment

TRex wrote: View Post
                              To all the pro-tankers here. Just look at the Cleveland Cavaliers.
                              To all the anti tankers here look at OKC. There are valid arguments for both sides. Ujiri is a good manager so I doubt our tank would end up like the Cavs

jimmie wrote: View Post
                              That would be big splash material for sure. Lowry+Derozan for Irving+Bennett+4 years of Karasev?? Interesting...
                              Grant might feel pressured to start winning or lose his GM job...this may not be entirely crazy

I agree that Kyrie has had a brutal year and has a lot of cons but i think a lot of them have to do with playing under Brown who's coincidentally the same guy that was around when Lebron skipped town. Dudes just a terrible head coach. .
                              Every team he has coached has spiraled into hell...don't know how he keeps getting gigs

octothorp wrote: View Post
                              2015 is going to be a great FA class for big-men. You've got Millsap, Boozer, Varejao, Asik, M.Gasol, Koufas, Chandler, Davis, Aldridge, R. Lopez;
                              Aldrige and Lopez aren't going anywhere. Neither is Davis, Asik is a mess, Millsap will be pricey, Varejao and Gasol wont fit beside Val...and Boozer shouldn't be the savior at this point, he's already losing ground...

Comment

I like Kyrie. His defense is questionable but he's an intelligent player. Despite his unhappiness I do not see Cleveland trading him. He's going to get his max money and he just has to gut it out another year to get it. Once he has it, I'm sure trade rumours will circulate again.

Comment

Working...
                                X