No announcement yet.

How Can We Upgrade This Offseason?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let me preface this as I have before....Jamal Magloire 2004 all star. Now, with that out of the way, let me put on the rosiest glasses I can find. Our SG is an all star. Our PG was just recognized by many (the coaches, not TNT) as the biggest all star snub...so basically an all star. Our other wing has the hops to win a dunk contest, has the shot to drop 51 and plays solid D. And is a sophomore. Our C is the one player very few if any of us would trade. Our PF is ...pretty good. Do we just ride this out and see where it goes?

Comment

I think we need a backup C, what about Kevin Seraphin?

Comment

I think for backup C, G. Dieng from Minny is the guy I would go after. Dude needs a lot, like A LOT of work, but is also a block machine and rebounder.

Comment

OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
          I bet if we traded some decent pieces for him (say DD+Salmons), we could pry away 2 of their first rounders because they desperately want the cap space, and yet are getting and -allstar-

From what I have seen this year...his post game is going to take years before it becomes a threat. He lacks balance, footwork, hands, dribbles, shoulder fakes, up and unders. Basically all of the post moves besides an improving drop step into a baby hook and he does have a good touch around the rim. I would much rather see Jonas' development be pushed to improving leg strength and becoming more agile so he can be a better PnR defender (and on offense too), as well as a better help defender. He is also a pretty bad passer out of the post.

I really think we need a power PF, someone who can play back to the basket and attract the double. Amir and Pattman are more stretch 4s, and would make a GREAT pairing on a bench unit with a balance of PnR ability/shooting/defense/mobility/rebounding.

I was on the Monroe idea in the offseason....but Monroe is basically the more offensively savvy version of Amir, so I agree he doesn't really have a fit here.
          I was just looking at a defensive aspect first tbh. Monroe is a really nice passer and would help with the low post scoring you mentioned, but it'd be a nightmare defensively with JV, as would Boozer. JV is getting better defensively very slowly, but it's happening IMO, I don't really care what any analytics say, I can see with my own eyes that he is getting better, but still has a long way to go. That's why I like Amir and 2Pat, both really nice help defenders, smart etc and very mobile. Offensively you never see JV and Amir get tangled (apart from that funny occasion last game where amir went with a "cn tower hook" and jv was running trying to get away from him), i like their spacing. Of course the team can upgrade from Amir/2Pat, they'd be amazing as a bench pairing, but every player on the raptors can be upgraded, even my two fav sophomores . Who did you have in mind for the PF?

Comment

Jclaw wrote: View Post
            Let me preface this as I have before....Jamal Magloire 2004 all star. Now, with that out of the way, let me put on the rosiest glasses I can find. Our SG is an all star. Our PG was just recognized by many (the coaches, not TNT) as the biggest all star snub...so basically an all star. Our other wing has the hops to win a dunk contest, has the shot to drop 51 and plays solid D. And is a sophomore. Our C is the one player very few if any of us would trade. Our PF is ...pretty good. Do we just ride this out and see where it goes?
            I like this argument. I've been saying all year that we don't really know what we have, so why force ourselves to make a decision? This is what BC did.

I realize that there are contractual issues here, but the group we have now like each other, and are GETTING BETTER. Why not see if they can grow into a competitive core?

Comment

BigCamB wrote: View Post
              I was just looking at a defensive aspect first tbh. Monroe is a really nice passer and would help with the low post scoring you mentioned, but it'd be a nightmare defensively with JV, as would Boozer. JV is getting better defensively very slowly, but it's happening IMO, I don't really care what any analytics say, I can see with my own eyes that he is getting better, but still has a long way to go. That's why I like Amir and 2Pat, both really nice help defenders, smart etc and very mobile. Offensively you never see JV and Amir get tangled (apart from that funny occasion last game where amir went with a "cn tower hook" and jv was running trying to get away from him), i like their spacing. Of course the team can upgrade from Amir/2Pat, they'd be amazing as a bench pairing, but every player on the raptors can be upgraded, even my two fav sophomores . Who did you have in mind for the PF?
              JV is improving, one thing that has impressed me the most is that he isn't in foul trouble every game. He still fouls a lot, but almost never picks up a quick three fouls or such. It took Amir quite a few seasons to figure that one out. The biggest thing holding JV back right now on defense is his body. This past offseason he just gained mass/bulk instead of getting stronger legs, and we can see it with his serious lack of explosiveness around the rim this season. Last season he dunked ever chance, this season he can't. He is slower than he was last season, which on D makes a ton of difference...if he had a quicker first step due to better conditioning his help D would be a lot better.

Also like Chuck Hayes said, it takes 4 or 5 years to learn how to defend the post and make the reads. He just needs time and as long as there is improvement then everything will work out.

Comment

BigCamB wrote: View Post
                I know you're not asking me, and it's just a pipe dream....

But I want Al Horford. Dude's been forced to play out of position his whole career. He's so solid across the board as a two-way player. Great team and individual defender. Solid rebounder. Sound offence. Good passing. Great leadership. Can play both big spots.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post

But I want Al Horford. Dude's been forced to play out of position his whole career. He's so solid across the board as a two-way player. Great team and individual defender. Solid rebounder. Sound offence. Good passing. Great leadership. Can play both big spots.
                  Ch. yeah. that'd be nice.
                  "Bruno?
                  Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
                  He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

BallaBalla wrote: View Post
                    I like this argument. I've been saying all year that we don't really know what we have, so why force ourselves to make a decision? This is what BC did.

I realize that there are contractual issues here, but the group we have now like each other, and are GETTING BETTER. Why not see if they can grow into a competitive core?
                    This is the basis I was working off of when I posed the question of "Which position do we upgrade" if our starting Five all have some sort of Starters value. I think you need to look at upgrading the PF spot (Sorry Amir) before considering this core a done-deal.

Would LOOOVE to have Horford at the 4. His boob makes me nervous though.

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post

I like it. Never thought about him, he kinda just always slips under the radar for me.

Comment

• If only Portland had to continue struggling, then maybe Aldridge could have been a possibility. Right now, I don't think he is leaving the Blazers anytime soon...but I dream of a lineup like this:

JV/Amir
                        Aldridge/2Pat
                        Chandler/draft pick
                        Demar/Ross
                        Lowry/Vasquez

That's a solid 10 man rotation, and would probably be a contender I think.

Comment

• Soooooo remember when the Suns were willing to part with picks for "all-star level" talent?

Well...
                          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
                            Soooooo remember when the Suns were willing to part with picks for "all-star level" talent?

Well...
                            Except their pick is now very likely not even Lottery. And had we given them an All-Star, they'd be even better than they are now .. not worth it.

Comment

• joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                              Except their pick is now very likely not even Lottery. And had we given them an All-Star, they'd be even better than they are now .. not worth it.
                              Well they do have more picks than just their own! Plus, I'd say any pick 20-25 is enough to move up 3-4 spots, so if we get a few of them, maybe we grab the next Paul George lol....
                              "Bruno?
                              Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
                              He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

• stooley wrote: View Post
                                Well they do have more picks than just their own! Plus, I'd say any pick 20-25 is enough to move up 3-4 spots, so if we get a few of them, maybe we grab the next Paul George lol....
                                I don't think there other picks are high either.

Comment

Working...
                                X