Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can Ross and Derozan co-exist? Can Ross be our primary SF?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Again, it's not about whether they can co-exist or not...clearly they are doing alright. The question is, are the Toronto Raptors better with the two of them or is there a better match for either guy to play with other each other? Much like how George shined next to Stephenson, as opposed to with Granger.

We already know that DeMar isn't a number one option, so who is the better complimentary player to a number one option if we were to draft, trade or bring one in through free agency?

Comment

Mediumcore wrote: View Post
      Perhaps I should rephrase it to somethig along the lines of "can Ross not get completely demolished against LBJ or George in a 7 game playoff series"?
      I think Ross can hold his own against these guys. He has done a really good job on George, but of course the playoffs and LBJ are different animals. I think Ross would get exposed in the post against Lebron, but his athleticism and lateral quicks would help him in most other situations. I don't see the Raps at a terrible disadvantage defensively with Ross at the 3. And I don't recall any game this season in which Ross got lit up by his opponent.

Comment

Again, it's not about whether they can co-exist or not...clearly they are doing alright. The question is, are the Toronto Raptors better with the two of them or is there a better match for either guy to play with other each other? Much like how George shined next to Stephenson, as opposed to with Granger.

We already know that DeMar isn't a number one option, so who is the better complimentary player to a number one option if we were to draft, trade or bring one in through free agency?
        Well if we were to bring in a superstar wing, then I think the obvious answer is Ross. Off-ball players that can shoot and play D will always be great paired with legit #1, superstar type guys.

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
          They are co existing as we speak. They both start for god sake
          This.

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
            I'd still say, can anyone?

Ross doesn't have the strength to guard LBJ, but he does have the size quickness to keep up with George, but George's length is tough.

If Ross can guard the other 99% with good to very good dependability, then I'm happy.
            I think you have to make it tough for the LeBron's and Georges of the world, and make them work for their points. Playoffs is the next step for the Raptors, and giving up a huge advantage to the opposition by putting a much smaller player on George/LBJ/Melo etc is playing into their hands. I'm not happy with just a good seson and getting bounced in the playoffs year after year.

Comment

JawsGT wrote: View Post
              Well if we were to bring in a superstar wing, then I think the obvious answer is Ross. Off-ball players that can shoot and play D will always be great paired with legit #1, superstar type guys.
              And I think this is the real question which most everyone is skirting around. He is the better option as the player to keep between the two SG's and is having to play outside of his position. He's done a better than admiral job, but as you mentioned, playoffs are a different beast and that is when weaknesses get exposed.

Comment

Ross actually did a pretty commendable job on D vs George and Lebron. He's already the guy we're getting to guard the opposite teams best wing and he's only going to get better. To me Ross is a long term starter and his value to the team is really undervalued.
                @sweatpantsjer

Comment

And I think this is the real question which most everyone is skirting around. He is the better option as the player to keep between the two SG's and is having to play outside of his position. He's done a better than admiral job, but as you mentioned, playoffs are a different beast and that is when weaknesses get exposed.
                  Yes, but there is no rush to decide who is better to keep. At the moment, they both look great and are playing well together, and it could very well work out that they are both worth keeping. There really isn't much difference between the two positions, and we have one guy that can shoot and play great D and the other that can score and create. There isn't anything to fix here, it's just that if we bring in a Durant type player then one is expendable, and that is obviously the guy that is currently in the Durant type role for these Raps. But, if we were to bring in a PF like Love, then I see no reason why keeping them both in the starting lineup isn't warranted.

Comment

I think you have to make it tough for the LeBron's and Georges of the world, and make them work for their points. Playoffs is the next step for the Raptors, and giving up a huge advantage to the opposition by putting a much smaller player on George/LBJ/Melo etc is playing into their hands. I'm not happy with just a good seson and getting bounced in the playoffs year after year.
                    I'm curious as to who you think can do the job and then how to get such player. Our best physical matchup for LeBron was likely Acy (strength and athleticism), so at this point, Ross, Amir or the Spurs model of don't guard him is likely the best bet.

To beat the Heat, I think you have to build to beat them everywhere except LeBron (cause you won't be LeBron). You attack them at the other positions and force LBJ to over stretch on D and over compensate on O. LeBron can't win by himself so you attach their weakness, not their strength.
                    Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

I'm curious as to who you think can do the job and then how to get such player. Our best physical matchup for LeBron was likely Acy (strength and athleticism), so at this point, Ross, Amir or the Spurs model of don't guard him is likely the best bet.

To beat the Heat, I think you have to build to beat them everywhere except LeBron (cause you won't be LeBron). You attack them at the other positions and force LBJ to over stretch on D and over compensate on O. LeBron can't win by himself so you attach their weakness, not their strength.
                      Force Lebron to shoot jumpers and you have a chance. You need a guy like Hibbert to keep him out of the paint and a guy like George that can defend him well enough to not require a regular double team.

Comment

JawsGT wrote: View Post
                        Yes, but there is no rush to decide who is better to keep. At the moment, they both look great and are playing well together, and it could very well work out that they are both worth keeping. There really isn't much difference between the two positions, and we have one guy that can shoot and play great D and the other that can score and create. There isn't anything to fix here, it's just that if we bring in a Durant type player then one is expendable, and that is obviously the guy that is currently in the Durant type role for these Raps. But, if we were to bring in a PF like Love, then I see no reason why keeping them both in the starting lineup isn't warranted.
                        I agree there isn't a rush to do anything and the tandem of DD and Ross is co-existing as I mentioned already. I'm just of the opinion that sticking with both of them in the starting line up for the long haul will hold the team back from being better than they can be if they were to bring in guys that are build for their position. Rome wasn't built in a day and I don't expect the Raptors to be a contender next season. Only thing I didn't agree with is the bolded. DeMar cannot creat imo.

Comment

DeRozan & Ross are definitely co-existing better than the failed Gay & DeRozan experiment, no doubt.

I think the pairing is fine for this season, where making the playoffs would be a success and a 2nd round appearance would arguably be this team's ceiling.

However, for the long-term, if Ross proves capable of continuing to improve every facet of his game as the team's starting SG, I'd prefer to cash-in DeRozan and get a legit starting SF (and a traditional starting PF, but this discussion is solely about the wings).

This isn't anything negative about DeRozan, but more an observation about better balancing/maximizing the starting lineup and improving the team overall, within the confines of the NBA's CBA. If MU can upgrade the starting PF/SF positions, secure the starting PG (whether that is re-signing Lowry or some other way) position and round out the 2nd unit while keeping DeRozan (and Johnson), I'd be all for it.

The bottom line is that I prefer Ross over DeRozan as the team's long-term starting SG, and would prefer a true SF starting at the 3.

Comment

Marrion for one gave LBJ lots of issues in the finals when Miami played Dallas, and George has had success against him too but that is besides the point. It's only one reason for why I think the team might be better if DD and Ross didn't play together. I'm not saying that DD and Ross can't play together and do well, but I think that the team could be better if they weren't together. As to who or how we get a star wing ... that I leave up to the management, as it has nothing to do with the opinion I'm providing.

Comment

I'd like to see them being our long term wing duo. They click extremely well together and will only get better as Ross is now speeding up his own development getting Casey's full trust now.

DeMar is at a stage which he commands doubles so Ross can benefit greatly from it which he has been, and as he grows into a better player it will also benefit DeMar. Good duo Ujiri has a good core in his hands. Thank you BC for extending DeMar thank you BC for drafting Ross and not trading him for Gay..

Comment

This is the great thing about the team getting to the playoffs this year (probably): all of these debates we've been having about 'so-and-so won't be a good playoff performer' will be put to rest somewhat. I've been skeptical about whether DeRozan's game will translate to the playoffs, but I'm excited about him having an opportunity to prove us doubters wrong. Can he continue to find his shot over seven games against Indiana or Miami? Can Ross defend Miami or George over a series and make enough stops to give the Raptors a chance to win a few of those games?

Comment

Working...
                                X