Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can Ross and Derozan co-exist? Can Ross be our primary SF?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Axel wrote: View Post
    Ross excels at catch and shoot much more than creating off the dribble. He needs a good PG to get him the ball. Not sure 6th man is typically the best spot for him. Of everyone on our roster, Lowry is actually the best suited for the 6th man role (ball dominant scorer who can defend).
    Catch and shoot, aka Ray Allen who flourished coming off the bench?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Comment

JordanMariam14 wrote: View Post
      Catch and shoot, aka Ray Allen who flourished coming off the bench?

haha Ray Allen came off the bench for 8 games total in his first 16 seasons. Read that again, cause that stat is crazy. He has come off the bench only in Miami, where as a 37-38 year old, he can play behind a younger star (D-Wade) and with LeBron for stretches.
      Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

People needs to understand. This is not a Gay/DeRozan situation. DeRozan and Ross are two COMPLETELY different players.

DeRozan is a mid range guy, slasher, good low post player, can create his own shot off the dribble. Ross is a 3pt shooter(a great 3pt shooter), slasher, and he's a great fastbreak finisher.

So there's no reason to think they can't co exist. They're co-existing quite well already.
        Mamba Mentality

Comment

TRex wrote: View Post
          People needs to understand. This is not a Gay/DeRozan situation. DeRozan and Ross are two COMPLETELY different players.

DeRozan is a mid range guy, slasher, good low post player, can create his own shot off the dribble. Ross is a 3pt shooter(a great 3pt shooter), slasher, and he's a great fastbreak finisher.

So there's no reason to think they can't co exist. They're co-existing quite well already.
          They're completely different players who play the same position though.

Ideally I wouldn't be starting both players in the same lineup. So far its been working, but I see it a lot like the PG situation in Phoenix.

The 2 SGs are workable, but ideally you trade one of them for a legit SF or something else of value.
          "Bruno?
          Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
          He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

haha Ray Allen came off the bench for 8 games total in his first 16 seasons. Read that again, cause that stat is crazy. He has come off the bench only in Miami, where as a 37-38 year old, he can play behind a younger star (D-Wade) and with LeBron for stretches.
            Oh .. thought he was sixth man.

But I still don't see why having him come off the bench, knocking down some threes and giving the bench a spark could be good, while having a defensive starting 3

Comment

But I still don't see why having him come off the bench, knocking down some threes and giving the bench a spark could be good, while having a defensive starting 3

His point was that catch and shoot guys thrive when other players are creating their opportunities for them. Ross gets way more open looks playing with starters than he would coming off the bench. Most great 6th men are gunners who can create their own shot, like Jason Terry.
              "Bruno?
              He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

Knocking down 3s is great, but moving a guy from starter quality teammates to bench quality teammates impacts his game. Not every player can create their own shot. Most of the best 6th man can create their own shot.

Look at the recent (10 years) winners; all of them can create scoring off the dribble, and/or set-up their teammates for open looks. Most of them are blends of PG/SG skills.
                JR Smith, James Harden, Lamar Odom (only true forward in 10 years to win it), Jamal Crawford, Jason Terry, Manu Ginobili, Leandro Barbosa, Mike Miller, and Ben Gordon.

Not sure that Ross (or DD for that matter) are that mold of player. Lowry is, but obviously he isn't going to the bench anytime soon.

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Knocking down 3s is great, but moving a guy from starter quality teammates to bench quality teammates impacts his game. Not every player can create their own shot. Most of the best 6th man can create their own shot.

Look at the recent (10 years) winners; all of them can create scoring off the dribble, and/or set-up their teammates for open looks. Most of them are blends of PG/SG skills.
                  JR Smith, James Harden, Lamar Odom (only true forward in 10 years to win it), Jamal Crawford, Jason Terry, Manu Ginobili, Leandro Barbosa, Mike Miller, and Ben Gordon.
                  True.. Makes sense, so the starters can get double teams and pass it to the open man aka Ross

Comment

True.. Makes sense, so the starters can get double teams and pass it to the open man aka Ross

Exactly. Ross is ideal as a starter because he moves well without the ball and finds the space to get off his shot. Coming out of college, he was a catch and shoot guy too because he has a good high, and quick release. Unless you pair him with a very good ball handler on the 2nd unit (Jose? lol) then he will likely struggle to get open looks. Vince Carter would be a good 6th man option at this point in his career.

Comment

yep thats basically whats happening now. in contrast to when T Ross came off the bench last season and couldn't really get anything going. Whether this is good or bad for his development though is another question.

Comment

iblastoff wrote: View Post
                        yep thats basically whats happening now. in contrast to when T Ross came off the bench last season and couldn't really get anything going. Whether this is good or bad for his development though is another question.
                        I think it's good.
                        What would the argument be for the other side?
                        That he's not being forced to create his own shot, so isn't developing that skill?
                        "Bruno?
                        He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

stooley wrote: View Post
                          I think it's good.
                          What would the argument be for the other side?
                          That he's not being forced to create his own shot, so isn't developing that skill?
                          He seems to have better handles than demar, so perhaps he can get better at creating his own shot?

Comment

iblastoff wrote: View Post
                            Yeah, I agree with Stooley, what is the bad about Ross playing with the starters? He's learning to play off-ball and get open looks within the team concept. Unless you're trying to develop the next Rudy Gay, I don't see the problem. Also, he is guarding better players (and doing well) and gaining experience in crunch time.

Comment

Can anyone?
                              Perhaps I should rephrase it to somethig along the lines of "can Ross not get completely demolished against LBJ or George in a 7 game playoff series"?

Comment

Mediumcore wrote: View Post
                                Perhaps I should rephrase it to somethig along the lines of "can Ross not get completely demolished against LBJ or George in a 7 game playoff series"?
                                I'd still say, can anyone?

Ross doesn't have the strength to guard LBJ, but he does have the size quickness to keep up with George, but George's length is tough.

If Ross can guard the other 99% with good to very good dependability, then I'm happy.

Comment

Working...
                                X