Pre-All-Star Report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pre-All-Star Report

As we approach the all-star break, I looked at some stats that I thought I'd share.

Offence - 99.2 PPG (18th), 106.6 Ortg (14th), pace 92.1 (24th)

Strengths: 13th best 3P%, 7th best FT%. 10th most 3PA while only 22nd most 2PA and 9th most FTA. This shows the team is taking more efficient shots (3P and FT) and is hitting them well. Our 2P% is only 25th, so it's a good thing we have cut out many of these attempts. The assist totals are still low thanks to the Rudy Gay led offence to start the season, but ball movement is now much better. We have the 9th fewest turnovers.

Weaknesses: Our overall FG% ranks 24th in the NBA at 43.8%.

Demar has taken the majority of the shots, and his 42.9% FG% is eerily close to the team's FG%.

Outlook: As the season progresses, the Rudy Gay stats become more and more diminished and the increased efficiency should raise our rankings. Our offence looks fluid. Since the calendar flipped (19 games played), we've scored less than 90 only twice but have scored 100+ in 9 games (including 5 of our last 7). In that same span, we've played a pace of 90.5, slower than our season average. With our slower pace, we've been very efficient, finishing with a game Ortg of less than 100 only twice (we did it 5 times in the first 19 games). If we can keep up this level of play, then we should finish with an above average offence.

Defence - 96.4 PPG (4th), 103.5 DRtg (6th)

Strengths: Opp PPG is top 5. 6th best Drtg unadjusted, 7th best adjusted (for pace). T-9th best Opp FG%

Weaknesses: 24th ranked Opp 3P% - we need to defend the arc better. Only Sac, Orl, SA, Char, Mil and Brooklyn have been worse. Other than the Spurs, that's pretty awful company to keep.

Outlook: We're only 20th in steals but are 9th in Opp Turn-overs. So we may not get the fast break opportunities from a steal, we do get the ball back more. We need to do a better job of defending the arc but overall show good signs on D to keep up the high level of play.

Rebounding

7th in Oreb% - 8th in total OReb
    12 in Dreb% - 7th fewest OppOReb, 8th fewest OppTReb

Rebounding was expected to be strong and it has been. We've increased our O and D Rebouning %s by about 2% each (from 25% & 73% to 27.6% & 75.4%) which has significantly upped our rankings from 20th & 16th to 7th and 12th.

Coaching

Casey has done a good job. Removing Gay from this team seems to have liberated many of the offensive issues that were being blamed on Casey. Our defence is playing really well and with improvements from JV and Ross, that can keep going. Casey seems to have accepted his limitations (out of time-out plays) and ceeded a certain amount of control to his assistants. This is smart coaching. Looks like he'll be back next season.

Players

Kyle Lowry is 4th in the NBA in Offensive Win Shares (5.3).

DD has improved in many ways, but his shot selection is probably the most impactful.

Jonas leads the team in RPG with 8.6. His MPG has increased by 5 mins to 28.2 per game and he's increased his Reb%s by 2% (Off) and 3% (Def).

Patterson's shooting %s have all gone up dramatically since the trade. FG% 41% -> 50%, 3P% 23.1% -> 45.2%, 2P% 49.4% -> 51.2%, FT% 56.3% -> 77.1% all while only attempting 0.7 more shots per game.
    Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Impressive work, man.

I like the steals vs OppTO stat : shows how much pressure our D is putting the opponent under...

Comment

i wonder how long till patterson cools off. right now hes the only SAC player i'd want to resign.

our overall FG% is kind of concerning though.

Comment

Nice the way you pulled all this together. Be great to see a repeat in another 20 games or so.

Comment

iblastoff wrote: View Post
          i wonder how long till patterson cools off. right now hes the only SAC player i'd want to resign.

I remember reading a tweet shortly after the trade about how every time Patterson is moved (trade or D-League recall) he immediately gets hot. Possibly Koreen but it was too long ago to find it again.

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
            I remember reading a tweet shortly after the trade about how every time Patterson is moved (trade or D-League recall) he immediately gets hot. Possibly Koreen but it was too long ago to find it again.
            pretty sure that was the same thing with salmons as well.

Comment

Fanchie wrote: View Post
              Impressive work, man.

I like the steals vs OppTO stat : shows how much pressure our D is putting the opponent under...
              Yeah, that was my favourite find. OppTO isn't a stat you see or hear of but it's just as good as steals (if you can execute in the half court).

Comment

pretty sure that was the same thing with salmons as well.
                I think it was only about salmons ... but who knows

Comment

Anyone know how to find our true shooting percentage? We have the 10th most 3PA, so that may be skewing our FG%.
                  "Bruno?
                  Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
                  He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

It's crazy how good Patterson has shot the ball since arriving in Toronto.

Comment

stooley wrote: View Post
                      Anyone know how to find our true shooting percentage? We have the 10th most 3PA, so that may be skewing our FG%.
                      You can get Team TS% from here:
                      http://espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/tea...rueShootingPct

Raptors with a TS% of 53.3% or 16th in the league.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                        You can get Team TS% from here:
                        http://espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/tea...rueShootingPct

Raptors with a TS% of 53.3% or 16th in the league.
                        Still pretty crappy.

I think we need DD to get in the paint like he did against Utah, and we need JV to finally start finishing.
                        "Bruno?
                        Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
                        He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

mike, prague wrote: View Post
                          I think it was only about salmons ... but who knows
                          I remember it as Patterson, but here's what I can find for stats:

Salmons (3 in-season trades)

Sac to Chi (no change)
                          FG% - 47.2 to 47.3, 3P% 41.8 to 41.5, FT% 82.3 to 84.3

Chi to Mil (4% FG and 8% FT)
                          FG% 42 to 46.7, 3P% 38 to 38.5, FT% 78.9 to 86.7

Sac to Tor (5% FG, 6% 3P)
                          FG% 35 to 40.4, 3P 38.1 to 44.1, FT% 100 to 73.9

Patterson 2 in-season trades (can't find splits for his D-League recall)

Hou to Sac (8% 3P, 3% FT)
                          FG% 51.9 to 49.4, 3P% 36.5 to 44.4, FT% 75.5 to 78.6

Sac to Tor (9% FG, 22% 3P, 21% FT)
                          FG% 41 to 50, 3P% 23.1 to 45.2, FT% 56.3 to 77.1

So stats seem to support both.

Comment

"Looks like he'll be back next season."

Axel called it here first folks
                            “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
                              "Looks like he'll be back next season."

Axel called it here first folks
                              haha pretty sure that it's in one of the prediction threads, so they'll get first rights (although I think I did say it in my prediction in one of the threads).

Comment

Working...
                              X